So I am thinking, as the title may suggest, of buying myself a Schecter Hellraiser V-1 FR for Christmas. I was just looking on a second opinion on this from anyone who has experience with this guitar. It has all the features I am looking for in a guitar. Any advice is appreciated.
I have the Hellraiser C-1 FR which is exactly the same besides body shape, I'm sure, and I'm in love with it. It's amazing. What genre are you playing?
The playground of the world
Anywhere from Guns 'n Roses type stuff to brutal Dethklok sounds. I already have a 2009 Highway one Tele and 2009 (I think) Epiphone Gothic Explorer so I'm really looking for a Floyd Rose and active pups. plus i can cover a wide range of tunings and sounds with these guitars. Amp is a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo.
The hellraiser line is pretty bad ass. I have a c1 fr too and I love it. I got it used with a case for $650 American. I like the V too. If I had to choose, I'd probably get a V.

But I figure I paid $550 and the case another $100. It'd worth every penny of that. I've even seen nice ones on craigslist for around $300. I would not pay the retail price of $899 for one though. That's my advice, shop around for a used one and save $400.

I have a 6505 +1 too. Awesome amp and it goes great with EMGs.
Thanks. I love the amp with my Explorer. I have a D-Activator in the bridge and it kicks ass. I wired it backwards and it is out of phase but you can only hear the difference in the middle position which i dont really use anyway. I'll fix it one day.
I am also looking for a smaller tube amp that is more versatile though. Like 15-25 watts and actually has a decent clean sound that I dont have to work for. Any suggestions?
Have you played the Hellraiser? That's really important.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No. There isn't a decent guitar shop anywhere near me so this forum is really about all I've got.
As great as this forum is ( or isn't, haha), we can't tell you if you'll like a guitar or not.

I can't stress this enough, but regardless of how good a guitars specs look, or how high quality it is, all of that could mean absolutely nothing to you if you don't like the guitar.

I am a living example. I love the Hellraisers, they're brilliant guitars. But I don't own one right now, for the sole reason that when I actually played one, I hated it. It felt so awful to me.

The point is, that no matter how good UG says a guitar is, you can't possibly know if it's good for you unless you play it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If it helps, the neck on the Hellraiser will be bigger and rounder than your Epiphone's (assuming all the Goth necks are the same, I used to have a Goth SG), and it will feel "sticky" and sluggish (at least to a lot of people it does).

You may like it, but a large number of people don't because of the neck. You can get it if you think that won't be a big issue, and you may not find it sticky, just know that a lot of people do.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ooh good points. I should point out that I have big hands too, so the neck feels great to me. Also, it has a gloss finish neck, so It can feel sticky if you're not used to one. I grew up with that so it's fine to me, but it's not as smooth as a satin finish neck.

I didn't know you hadn't played a hellraiser yet. I'd actually suggest an ltd for a more comfortable neck. I think ltds make great necks, at least on the few I tried. I'd actually get a Jackson though over an ltd because Jackson necks are the end all of necks to me. My only issue with them is i don't much like their V shape they use. It's kind of awkward when holding it between my legs.
get a v-1 hellraiser without the FR, guns n roses and dethklok have different tunings, and unless you want to throw in more money for a morpheus droptune (and dethklok does alot of drop c, you cant go from standard to a drop d style tuning on that pedal, ik cuz i own one) or if u wanna adjust spring tension for half an hour between every song to balence out the tremolo (i love the floyd rose, its a pain in the ass to droptune tho)
Eh.
The Epiphone Goth neck (if it's the same on the Explorer and LP) is thicker than a Hellraiser neck. The Goth neck is actually the thickest neck I've ever played (tried Schecter, Gibson 50 & 60, ltd, Jackson, bcr, few ibbys)
Himelnator, I have two other guitars and I will tune them like this.
Tele: Standard or half down
V-1 or whatever i buy next: One step down
And Explorer: C standard.
I should be able to cover most music like that
I have looked at a few LTD's and I still want a Floyd. Does anybody know about the Ec1000 deluxe FR. Is the trem solid, its not an original series. And does the 24 3/4 neck work well with a Floyd at all? Any other LTD's reccomended?
Quote by Britton529
Himelnator, I have two other guitars and I will tune them like this.
Tele: Standard or half down
V-1 or whatever i buy next: One step down
And Explorer: C standard.
I should be able to cover most music like that

k then you'll love floyd rose, except when your adjusting it or changing strings, then you will hate it to the bottom of your soul
Eh.
Quote by Rautio
The Epiphone Goth neck (if it's the same on the Explorer and LP) is thicker than a Hellraiser neck. The Goth neck is actually the thickest neck I've ever played (tried Schecter, Gibson 50 & 60, ltd, Jackson, bcr, few ibbys)

Are you sure? I owned the Goth SG for a couple years, and when I played the Hellraiser, it felt rounder to me. Granted, it wasn't as bulky (the Goth SG was impossible to play on once I discovered Ibanez and LTD), but it did feel more round, and like it had more substance somehow.

Quote by Britton529
I have looked at a few LTD's and I still want a Floyd. Does anybody know about the Ec1000 deluxe FR. Is the trem solid, its not an original series. And does the 24 3/4 neck work well with a Floyd at all? Any other LTD's reccomended?

I wouldn't get an EC, because of the scale length. But that's me. If you play it and like it, then you should consider it. Just know that for me, the scale length is too small to play correctly on, and I have been unable to play on an 24.75" scale guitars without a lot of difficulty. Definitely try one first, and see if they're okay for you. A lot of people have no problem with scale lengths and can adapt, but I'm not one of those people, apparently.

Also, shorter scales make tuning down more frustrating, as you need more string tension to pull it off, and if you tune down far end up using massive strings unless you want your neck to be flop city.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 18, 2010,
Although this is an old thread but i got to say it.

The Hellraiser V-1 FR is one of my most regretful purchase ever.
It's totally unbalanced and the neck feels sticky like shit.

My location does not have ready stock for most guitars, but the specs was totally what i wanted and i had another schecter before i bought this, so i thought i won't go wrong, so i ordered it, only to my disappointment that this guitar is total crap and bullshit.

My C-1 Elite plays much better over this crap.
I know a guy who has one and I should be able to play it before long. I don't think it has a Floyd but that won't make a difference in the overall feel. If I don't like it I will find something else. Any recommendations? I'm not set on an extreme shaped guitar but I definitely want a double locking tremolo.
Is it a symmetrical V? Whenever I see pictures of it, the bottom wing looks longer.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Studio black
Jackson RR3 transparent red
Agile Hornet Pro 6 White
Ibanez RG7321FM BBS
Randall RG50TC
I personally have a C-1 and like it better, but I solo less and play rhythm guitar more with my band, so it fits me. However, there aren't too many people that use the V-1 since most Schecter users prefer the C-1, so I think you'd be somewhat more unique with the V-1.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by rooster87
Is it a symmetrical V? Whenever I see pictures of it, the bottom wing looks longer.

the bottom is slightly longer. i find it makes sitting down with the guitar easier.

if you are looking into other guitars also, there the ltd's already suggested, and you might also want to look into (though many will disagree) BC Rich. they have some pretty good stuff for the price range, and a quick pup swap will turn most into great axes. the kerry king series also comes with kahlers for an alternative to FRs
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by Britton529
I know a guy who has one and I should be able to play it before long. I don't think it has a Floyd but that won't make a difference in the overall feel. If I don't like it I will find something else. Any recommendations? I'm not set on an extreme shaped guitar but I definitely want a double locking tremolo.

Just avoid V-1 FR, don't bother trying out the v-1.

Do note that with the FR, the weight/balance may be affected as the cavity is quite huge. Thus not a fair comparision between non-fr and fr.

No point buying a guitar that neck dives and force you to sit down and play, unless you gig with a chair or something.
I played with a V-1 sitting down and it was the most comfortable guitar i've ever played sitting down.

I have a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger and a c1 Blackjack ATX FR, and still have my eyes on a V-1.
I was going to ask about B.C. Rich guitars. Most of them come with neck-thru construction and they look pretty cool. I really just want to try the Hellraiser V-1 to see if I like the neck or not at this point.
Quote by distortion896
the bottom is slightly longer. i find it makes sitting down with the guitar easier.

if you are looking into other guitars also, there the ltd's already suggested, and you might also want to look into (though many will disagree) BC Rich. they have some pretty good stuff for the price range, and a quick pup swap will turn most into great axes. the kerry king series also comes with kahlers for an alternative to FRs

It's longer because of the "solo cavity" right?