I'm working on setting up the drum tracks for my bands songs on Reaper, using Superior Drummer, so we can record. However, any time I open a project, the first few times I try to run it, I'll suddenly be faced with an ungodly amount of lag once it gets to the drums. The click track for the parts without the drums runs fine, but as soon as it gets to the drums, I have no hopes of even getting through a measure; even after I stop it, my computer will still lag horribly for awhile afterwards.

Basically, what I'm asking is if anyone who has used Reaper and Superior Drummer (or any other Toontrack program) found anything to make it load the drum samples more smoothly.
your computer is poopy?
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
How well spec'd is your computer?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Render the drums to a .wav file, then load it into Reaper. Or preferably, render it to several .wav files, one for each drum mic, so you can add EQ and whatnot later.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 6, 2010,
*reported*

This goes in Recordings and Riffs. Is it really that hard to read the forum descriptions?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by whalepudding
Render the drums to a .wav file, then load it into Reaper. Or preferably, render it to several .wav files, one for each drum mic, so you can add EQ and whatnot later.
I don't understand; I need to use Reaper to program the actual beats and such, so I don't see how this works..... could you explain in more detail?

Quote by Das_Skittles
*reported*

This goes in Recordings and Riffs. Is it really that hard to read the forum descriptions?
I don't see the problem; I mean, anyone who has the programs mentioned in the title will look at this, anyone who doesn't will just pass over it, taking literally less than a second of their time. It's only going to get the attention of those who it applies to...
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by herby190
I don't understand; I need to use Reaper to program the actual beats and such, so I don't see how this works..... could you explain in more detail?

Write the drums first. Then export each track individually as a .wav. Then create a new project and add all the audio files in, including your .wav drum track.

If it lags when writing then you have a seriously slow PC mate.
It's five years old, by my best guess; I got a message a bit ago saying something about being low on virtual memory (I'd be more exact, but the message wouldn't stay up), and I think it has to do with installing too much stuff, or something of that nature.
Quote by Das_Skittles
*reported*

Asking for help with a recording program doesn't go in R&R
Quote by herby190
It's five years old, by my best guess; I got a message a bit ago saying something about being low on virtual memory (I'd be more exact, but the message wouldn't stay up), and I think it has to do with installing too much stuff, or something of that nature.

Your PC is in dire need of an upgrade then.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by herby190

Your PC needs at least 20GBs of harddrive space to run at optimum speed, I would say. Also, if you have less than 2GBs of RAM, then REAPER will be struggling. The max useage my REAPER got to was 2.5GBs, and that was with 14+ tracks.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your PC is in dire need of an upgrade then.
I have no source of income; my wallet has actually been empty for a few months.... what could I do in the meantime to make it run more smoothly?
tl;dr: You have a crappy computer, get a better one. Nothing you can do.
Wrong forum by the way.

TIP: My computer is even crappier than yours. What I do is open up another DAW, record the drums, export it as MP3 and then import it in REAPER as Media File (mp3). Saves a lot of space and offers all the easy editing Reaper offers.
Last edited by Braiton at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by herby190
I have no source of income; my wallet has actually been empty for a few months.... what could I do in the meantime to make it run more smoothly?

Basically... not much.

As a temporary solution you could write your drum parts in something like guitar pro, export the file as a MIDI and then feed that into reaper or Superior, render each drum (or mic) as a separate file and the import all those into reaper again so you can do good EQ and mixing.

If your machine is struggling with just doing some drums though I don't know how on earth you think you're going to actually record anything...

Also make sure you free up HDD space, defrag your hard drive, exit or quit absolutely EVERYTHING you don't need running... I think that's about it but I really doubt you're going to get much performance at all out of the machine.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Recordings & Riffs (49 Viewing)
Discuss recording techniques, your awesome solo on guitar or a groovy bassline! Subforums: Tabs | Original Recordings | Cover

He is not recording. He is using MIDI data.

The only way you might be able to do it is if you have absolutely nothing else running on your PC that isn't vital to the PC. No MSN, internet, etc. Have 20GBs of space free and if in task manager you up the priority.
If he is not recording then it's even much easier. DAW= Digital Audio Workstation.
You can use FL studio. Import your Midi file, replace the sampler with Superior Drummer, export to mp3. Then in Reaper import as media file. Problem Solved.
Quote by Braiton
If he is not recording then it's even much easier. DAW= Digital Audio Workstation.
You can use FL studio. Import your Midi file, replace the sampler with Superior Drummer, export to mp3. Then in Reaper import as media file. Problem Solved.

It's a lot easier to write it in TuxGuitar, export it as a MIDI file then import it into REAPER.
The thing is, it doesn't lag just when I'm writing it; it doesn't lag until I try to play it back. If I imported it from somewhere else, wouldn't it still need to load the same samples anyways?
If reaper has an option to freeze the drum track, then do that.

And it cant hurt to upgrade your PC a bit. Why don't you post its specs and I can recommend some upgrades.
Last edited by In The Mist at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by boreamor
It's a lot easier to write it in TuxGuitar, export it as a MIDI file then import it into REAPER.

No, it's not. It'd be a midi file. If he wanted to give it the Superior Drummer sounds he'd have to add an fx chain, and that is what is lagging his computer. It's easier to have it already processed in another DAW and then imported fully ready without any need of new fxs. Consumes a lot less resources.
Quote by Braiton
No, it's not. It'd be a midi file. If he wanted to give it the Superior Drummer sounds he'd have to add an fx chain, and that is what is lagging his computer. It's easier to have it already processed in another DAW and then imported fully ready without any need of new fxs. Consumes a lot less resources.

I see that it's during play back. If I were him I'd just export it as a shitty MP3, listen it on Quicktime and make adjustments according to that.
Quote by herby190
The thing is, it doesn't lag just when I'm writing it; it doesn't lag until I try to play it back. If I imported it from somewhere else, wouldn't it still need to load the same samples anyways?

No, if you export it from somewhere else as a bunch of .wav files then it won't be loading a bunch of samples, it'll only be loading a few tracks that really don't take much memory to play.

Quote by In The Mist
And it cant hurt to upgrade your PC a bit. Why don't you post its specs and I can recommend some upgrades.

I doubt it would be worth it, the machine is 5 years old so any upgrades would probably be to parts that are still outdated anyway; he'd be much better off just buying a new machine I reckon. Unless it was some kind of black monolith of processing power five years ago, then it might be salvageable.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by herby190

It takes a lot of resources to read the midi data and render the drum samples accordingly in real time. That's why people are recommending you render it as a WAV so it's already pre-rendered. You could also freeze the track (if reaper will let you do so) which is the same thing, only if you want to edit something, you could un-freeze it make the changes to the midi track, then re-freeze it.

In the EDIT:

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I doubt it would be worth it, the machine is 5 years old so any upgrades would probably be to parts that are still outdated anyway; he'd be much better off just buying a new machine I reckon. Unless it was some kind of black monolith of processing power five years ago, then it might be salvageable.

My computer is just as old and I can run Sony Acid 7.0 with a VSTi drum track and up to two VST plugins (Which is enough because I render to a new track after I record) AND an instance of Reason if I want to. It does all that with just a simple RAM upgrade and a decent graphics card so my use of dual displays doesn't rape my CPU.

Although it's no substitute for a whole new system it gets the job done considering I don't have a whole lot of money. As long as I don't try something like this I''l be fine.
Last edited by In The Mist at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by boreamor
I see that it's during play back. If I were him I'd just export it as a shitty MP3, listen it on Quicktime and make adjustments according to that.

Yes, this was what I was proposing. You already have it as an audio file, and you can set the EQ directly from Reaper, and there are some EQ Vst's that consume little to none ram that can be used (Such as EZMix).

It'd be a problem for different drum parts though. Unless you already seperate the kick, snare, etc. into a different track and import all of them as .wav
Last edited by Braiton at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Braiton
Yes, this was what I was proposing. You already have it as MP3, and you can set the EQ directly from Reaper, and there are some EQ Vst's that consume little to none ram that can be used (Such as EZMix).

The ReaEQ should be adequate for him I imagine. I think that software comes with EQ too though. It'd be silly if it didn't.

OP: Basically the only way you can do this is by:

1: Writing the track, then rendering it as a .wav file. Then importing the .wav file into a different project. This will keep any sound you added to it, but you cannot edit it this way. Not re-write drum parts, but you can mix it.

2: My way, would be simply rendering as a 128kbps mp3 and listen to it on quicktime. Doesn't use much REAPER resources and takes no time to render. Also, since you won't have closed REAPER you can still change it.
I only ever get this problem when I have a shit ton of VSTs loaded. Your only options are to write out the drum parts and export them mic by mic or to upgrade your computer.
Quote by In The Mist
How would I go about that? Where would I find it on the computer?
Quote by herby190
How would I go about that? Where would I find it on the computer?

Start>My Computer>under system tasks on the far left you should see some thing called "view system information" click that and it should show most of your specs.
It looks like the disk space was one of the major problems; I had less than 20GB free. However, I went through, and found a ton of old stuff that I didn't need (mostly games; a Sims 3 torrent alone was 20 GB, surprisingly), and it's running quite a bit better now.
Quote by herby190
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Is that what you're looking for?

There's the problem. You need more RAM. From what I recall about the Pentium 4 and judging by the speed of your particular Pentium 4 (many different versions were released over the course of its run) I'd say you need a stick of DDR SDRAM with a speed rating of at least PC 3200. You could find a 1GB stick for about $40 or a 512MB stick for half that. I personally would recommend the 1GB.

Of course, pre rendering or freezing the drum track before playback will also resolve the issue, and that's what I'd recommend if all you're doing is creating drum tracks.
Last edited by In The Mist at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by herby190
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Is that what you're looking for?

That's more than mine...and I can record perfectly...

Oh, who I'm lieing to
However, you might consider wanting to upgrade. Thats very little memory. I'm a cheap bastard so I'll pass
Like I said, I think it was the disk space; I cleared up a bunch, so it's loading pretty well now, although idk what's going to happen once we start recording.
I see the problem is largely resolved but I still don't get why you guys kept telling him to render the individual drums and make a whole new project. Just make stems ffs. It gives you the wavs and it mutes the originals. Poof. Miracles.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)