hey everyone, im thinking of buying a used epi zakk wylde les paul. the guy said he upgraded the pickups to emg's, said he paid 110 for each...

so i might go check it out, but im just wondering, how do i know if their real emg's 81/85 or 81/60.....

i was also thinking of buying a dimarzio super distortion and paf pro. from some different guy.

so my question, when buying pickup that arnt new, is there a way to tell what they are??.....instead of jus taking the dudes word for it

oh and this is all on craigslist.
When you go to look at them, check the bottom.

The model should be written on it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Heres an idea. Ask the seller...

wow! i would of never though of that!!
The paranoia of UG has not bounds...

If you play it, you should know right away if they're real or not.

But it's really... unfeasible that it would have fake EMG's. I mean, have you ever heard of fake pickups?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bubb_tubbs
When you go to look at them, check the bottom.

The model should be written on it.

ummm....i was wondering if there are any other tricks(for buying the epi)....if he tells me he changed them i dont wanna check them in front of him. ill do it when i get home n stuff, but im just wondering if theres any other way to tell.

the only reason im being a little paranoid is cus the guy is selling a epi zakk wylde lp with upgraded emgs for $400....seems a little low.

but yea if i buy the dimarizios ill check under the pups..thanks
Oh and the chances are if its a zw epiphone then the guys a zw fan which suggests he'd probably would put an emg zw set in it which would suggests an 85
Quote by Offworld92
The paranoia of UG has not bounds...

If you play it, you should know right away if they're real or not.

But it's really... unfeasible that it would have fake EMG's. I mean, have you ever heard of fake pickups?

hehe thats the thing, i have no idea what real emg's 81/85 sound like...i never though id get a guitar with emgs, its just this one is kinda cheap.

oh n youd be surprised at the things they can fake....if they can fake an epi, why not an emg......but i didnt necessarly mean the emgs are FAKE, maybee their just the cheap hz version or something...get me??
Quote by davem27
hehe thats the thing, i have no idea what real emg's 81/85 sound like...i never though id get a guitar with emgs, its just this one is kinda cheap.

oh n youd be surprised at the things they can fake....if they can fake an epi, why not an emg......but i didnt necessarly mean the emgs are FAKE, maybee their just the cheap hz version or something...get me??

The emg hz pickups say emg hz on them. The 60 isnt exactly ripping you off either. Its got a fair share of fans.
Quote by coolstoryangus
The emg hz pickups say emg hz on them. The 60 isnt exactly ripping you off either. Its got a fair share of fans.

yea i wouldnt be pissed if its a 81/60, and yea i'd check anyway when i get home, i was just wondering if there was some way of telling, jus by looking at them, but thanks man
You can tell which EMGs are in the guitar by the logo on the top of the pickup. Active EMGs say EMG and the passive EMGs say EMGHZ. The color of the logo tells you which model it is. On the 81 the logo is silver, the 85 is gold, the 60 is grey, the 89 & 81TW are both copper.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by davem27
ummm....i was wondering if there are any other tricks(for buying the epi)....if he tells me he changed them i dont wanna check them in front of him. ill do it when i get home n stuff, but im just wondering if theres any other way to tell.

the only reason im being a little paranoid is cus the guy is selling a epi zakk wylde lp with upgraded emgs for $400....seems a little low.

but yea if i buy the dimarizios ill check under the pups..thanks

Why not? I take shit apart all the time in front of people to make sure it's what they say it is.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
towards AcousticMirror
hell the pickups alone brand new would be around 200.
the pickups and guitar should be around 5-6 hundred used.
I got my Custom Epi for 700 brand new
Quote by AcousticMirror
400? is that low? that seems like a lot.

hmmm...does it??? what does everyone else think??

i thought thats kinda cheap considering he upgraded to real active emg's from what he says... i mean new with passive its like 800, and with the upgrade like 200more...the dude payed over a grand.....

i mean the only reason im going for it is the price...i basically heard the gibson version is almost the same as the epi with emgs, cus emgs make every guitar sound the same.....
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
You can tell which EMGs are in the guitar by the logo on the top of the pickup. Active EMGs say EMG and the passive EMGs say EMGHZ. The color of the logo tells you which model it is. On the 81 the logo is silver, the 85 is gold, the 60 is grey, the 89 & 81TW are both copper.

yes thank you!!!
+1,0000000.....really man thanks thats basically what i needed
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pickup upgrades dont tend to add that much value to a used guitar.

emgs kinda do from what ive seen in ebay....i mean not the extra 200 you payed for but still....mostly that the people that like the zw epi les paul would upgrade anyway..
ive seen them on ebay, with upgrades go for more than 500 so i figure worst case, ill play it and if i dont like it sell it and make a profit.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Why not? I take shit apart all the time in front of people to make sure it's what they say it is.

i'd feel like a dick, even though its completly straight to do it...you just cant take people's words these days...so id rather find some way to do it discretly
Here's a pic of my Explorer. You can see the logo on the bridge pickup is silver (81) and the logo on the neck pickup is gold (85).

Changed the pic cause you can see the logos better in this one.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Here's a pic of my Explorer. You can see the logo on the bridge pickup is silver (81) and the logo on the neck pickup is gold (85).

Changed the pic cuase you can see the logos better in this one.

thanks again man, you answered more than i was asking, now ill now if their emgs, and which kind
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
They also recently changed their logo a little. Mine have the old logo. Checkout their website to see the new logo. If his pickups are new they might have the new one.

will do, thanks again
don t know if anyone mentioned it...

there is a battery connector when using real EMGs(in the cavity)

if there is no battery connected to said connector and the pickups work..you got a fake :\
Quote by iampeter
don t know if anyone mentioned it...

there is a battery connector when using real EMGs(in the cavity)

if there is no battery connected to said connector and the pickups work..you got a fake :\

not always true.. the passives aren't battery powered, just the actives. based on the OP though, you would be right. but the EMGHz pups are passive and arent battery powered
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
not always true.. the passives aren't battery powered, just the actives. based on the OP though, you would be right. but the EMGHz pups are passive and arent battery powered

well thats what i meant, the 81s and what not

but yea :P