Hey all

I own a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor, and i never used it for soloing particularly but i used it for full chords that required just the slightest bit of break up (because i like to run my amp's clean channel at a pristine clean sound)

Through my Hughes & Kettner the tube factor was just amazing - clear with a tiny bit of bite, and the eq's just lined up really well (well duh).

I have recently transferred to a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special though, and while I like the amp much better, the Tube factor just sounds terrible through it - really harsh and honky. Ive tried dialing in sounds and they just dont seem compatible - the clean channel on the lonestar is just too different for them to work together. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest to me a really nice alternative. Doesn't have to be tube driven. Looking for transparency, full and clear chords. if can do some low gain bluesy lead tones as well that is a plus. Low to med overdrive.

P.S. I have checked out timmys, but they sound really harsh to me.
Was possibly considering xotic bb preamp?
Also considering zendrive 2 and butler tube driver (but while ive seen amazing lead tones off these two i havent seen any chord work)

cheers guys
Last edited by rhcp_guitarist at Aug 6, 2010,
use your amps distortion?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I use my amps overdrive for lead tones and my primary dirty tone,
however being a two channel amp i like to use a boutique pedal to get an in-between gain tone at times (and to stack on lead tone sometimes). the amp is set for a reasonably saturated drive, whereas the pedal is only breaking up a little, and the clean is not breaking up at all

i use the amp dirty tone 80-90% of the time
ethos overdrive
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The Butler is pretty bad on it's own. It really needs to be in front of something already distorting IMO. Zendrive 2 is okay, the regular one is better though, again IMO. BB Preamp is very smooth and pretty compressed. Very transparent when set right. The Timmy is the same but much less compressed and has less gain. Not harsh at all. Also look at the Diamond J-Drive, Durham Zia Drive/Sex Drive/Mucho Boosto, Jetter stuff and the AC Booster if you want less compression than the BB Preamp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 7, 2010,
Have you tried changing the tube in the H&K? That's supposed to make a big difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Andy timmons uses a lonestar and he uses the bb preamp with it for that purpose. His tone is better then sex, so i suggest you do the same.
thanks for the suggestions guys.
Ethos pedal does sound very nice and versatile!
I am considering trying out the bb preamp and zendrives - really love the zendrive sound with prescence up on full
and will check out that list of other pedals.

really appreciate it

P.S. the size of the butler tube driver also pretty much negates that as an option for me
Just be aware there's a 10 month or so wait on the Ethos and if you don't want to wait you'll have to pay $500-$600US.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs