i needs suggestions for pedals. i want something that will give me good amount of distortion or overdrive....like rhoads..i dont want a bad monkey, or ds1, their not enough.

off topic but which is better for metal, distortion or overdrive??....i think i like the sound of overdrive more, but is distortion better for metal(tapping, harmonics...).
is overdrive enough?

anyway, so can you guys just suggest some different models, my price range is under 50 USED... so you can suggest stuff thats around 100bucks too..

i was considering boss metal core or metal zone, but like two seconds ago i read in a different thread that their terrible. i was also considering the wylde overdrive, but i read in the reviews that its not enough....i need something heavy because i play on a marshall lead 20, and the gain is pretty weak
Quote by davem27
i needs suggestions for pedals. i want something that will give me good amount of distortion or overdrive....like rhoads..i dont want a bad monkey, or ds1, their not enough.

off topic but which is better for metal, distortion or overdrive??....i think i like the sound of overdrive more, but is distortion better for metal(tapping, harmonics...).
is overdrive enough?

anyway, so can you guys just suggest some different models, my price range is under 50 USED... so you can suggest stuff thats around 100bucks too..

i was considering boss metal core or metal zone, but like two seconds ago i read in a different thread that their terrible. i was also considering the wylde overdrive, but i read in the reviews that its not enough....i need something heavy because i play on a marshall lead 20, and the gain is pretty weak

Not sure about your amp, but a good OD in front of a good tube amp is great for metal. If it's not a tube amp, then an OD might not be for you.

Also, even if your amp is a tube amp, but distortion on it itself is weak, then you might just have to go with a distortion pedal.

As for the whole OD sounds better, and distortion pedals are better for harmonics, or tapping, I disagree. It's all about technique.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Not sure about your amp, but a good OD in front of a good tube amp is great for metal. If it's not a tube amp, then an OD might not be for you.

Also, even if your amp is a tube amp, but distortion on it itself is weak, then you might just have to go with a distortion pedal.

As for the whole OD sounds better, and distortion pedals are better for harmonics, or tapping, I disagree. It's all about technique.

nahh my amp isnt a tube. its one of the first ss amps marshall made...

yea screw it i dont care what it is, as long as it sounds good for metal, and it has enough gain...so please suggest! boost, gain, od, distortion even fuzz! i jus need some good models, so i can start looking on ebay..
Quote by davem27
nahh my amp isnt a tube. its one of the first ss amps marshall made...

yea screw it i dont care what it is, as long as it sounds good for metal, and it has enough gain...so please suggest! boost, gain, od, distortion even fuzz! i jus need some good models, so i can start looking on ebay..

Not sure about a good Rhoad's tone, but the Metal Muff seems to be a good pedal, new or used.

There are two versions, Metal Muff, and then Metal Muff with what I believe is called Top Boost.

I have heard the Top Boost though is reallll treble-y, but I'm not sure.

Give youtube a try for clippies

Also, if you really wanted to improve your tone dramatically, I would look around for an used Peavey Vypyr 15w. They are great for metal and only $99usd brand new.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Not sure about a good Rhoad's tone, but the Metal Muff seems to be a good pedal, new or used.

There are two versions, Metal Muff, and then Metal Muff with what I believe is called Top Boost.

I have heard the Top Boost though is reallll treble-y, but I'm not sure.

Give youtube a try for clippies

Also, if you really wanted to improve your tone dramatically, I would look around for an used Peavey Vypyr 15w. They are great for metal and only $99usd brand new.

yea true, the models you guys suggest i can look for in youtube, thanks.
ha, and i actually had a peavy vypyr 30, i ended up selling it cus it was too digital, but now i got more into metal, and im wondering if i shouldnt of sold it ....oh well, nothing like the sound of a marshall though
Quote by davem27
yea true, the models you guys suggest i can look for in youtube, thanks.
ha, and i actually had a peavy vypyr 30, i ended up selling it cus it was too digital, but now i got more into metal, and im wondering if i shouldnt of sold it ....oh well, nothing like the sound of a marshall though

I've never heard of a Marshall Lead 20, but cheap, SS Marshall's usually sound like shit, but it depends on your musical tastes.

Whatever you do, just don't be sold on the brand name. Marshall may be the biggest name in amplification, but not all their models are gold.

Peavey Vypyr's are good, Roland cube.

Uhm, avoid any of the Line 6 Spider series, unless you want a cheap amp with digital toanz and a bunch of effects that I grew bored of with in 5 minutes of playing it.

Also, I would suggest avoiding the Orange Crush. I know quite a few people that bought it and are convinced it is the greatest thing ever.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I've never heard of a Marshall Lead 20, but cheap, SS Marshall's usually sound like shit, but it depends on your musical tastes.

Whatever you do, just don't be sold on the brand name. Marshall may be the biggest name in amplification, but not all their models are gold.

Peavey Vypyr's are good, Roland cube.

Uhm, avoid any of the Line 6 Spider series, unless you want a cheap amp with digital toanz and a bunch of effects that I grew bored of with in 5 minutes of playing it.

Also, I would suggest avoiding the Orange Crush. I know quite a few people that bought it and are convinced it is the greatest thing ever.

nah my marshalls pretty good. like i said its one of the first ss marshall made, its from 84 and sounds a lot like tube..the only problem is theres only one channel and the distortion isnt too great, thats why i need a pedal, NOT AN AMP.....for now

and like you said its about musical taste, i had a vypyr, didnt really like it...too digital, but not as much as a line 6 so your right about that.
Quote by davem27
nah my marshalls pretty good. like i said its one of the first ss marshall made, its from 84 and sounds a lot like tube..the only problem is theres only one channel and the distortion isnt too great, thats why i need a pedal, NOT AN AMP.....for now

and like you said its about musical taste, i had a vypyr, didnt really like it...too digital, but not as much as a line 6 so your right about that.

Up to you man.

I suggest a distortion pedal then.

Metal Muff, Boss Metalcore.

Take a look at Blackstar tube dist. pedals, might be out of your price range, but worth it if you go used and find one cheap.

I would avoid the Boss Metalzone pedal and the MXR Fullbore pedal

Maybe Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde? I believe it is both an OD and Dist. pedal in one box.

Hardwire pedals maybe? Avoid cheap pedals: Cheaper Boss and Digitech pedals, Danelectro, etc.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by davem27

is overdrive enough?

If you have YouTube go check out some reviews, people who say the Metalzone sucks are wrong, the Metal muff and the Mt-2 are the best thrash metal dirt boxes you can get in the 90 dollar range imho.Go to youtube type in boss metal zone, check out the dude's cover of anthrax's indian using the Metal zone, it sounds damm good. I've been through most of the dirt boxes talked about, the metal zone and metal muff are the best in my opinion. The better the amp the better they will sound so if your amp sucks don't expect any miracles.
Just because the Danelectro pedals are cheap does'nt mean there bad, man.
The transparent OD is actually GREAT, lots of there pedals are cheap cuz Danelectro is a seriously underrated company. SOME cheaper digitech pedals are bad, don't judge pedals by the price.

As for your price, for $70, TL-2 Hardwire metal distortion, its like a Metal Zone but balls to the walls. I would highly recommend that!
Quote by RR5Jackson
If you have YouTube go check out some reviews, people who say the Metalzone sucks are wrong, the Metal muff and the Mt-2 are the best thrash metal dirt boxes you can get in the 90 dollar range imho.Go to youtube type in boss metal zone, check out the dude's cover of anthrax's indian using the Metal zone, it sounds damm good. I've been through most of the dirt boxes talked about, the metal zone and metal muff are the best in my opinion. The better the amp the better they will sound so if your amp sucks don't expect any miracles.

I guess I can't completely bash the thing. With some tweaking it sounds alright, but there is no way to really get rid of that harsh, "Bees in a can" sound that it has.

Also the Metal Zone might be a bit complicated for the beginner? Seeing as it has not only has highs, and lows, but a mid control know and another one for the middle frequencies.

I still suggest avoiding imo
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by RR5Jackson

haha yea everyone has different taste..ill check them out on you tube n decide.
thanks everyone, but keep suggesting!
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Just because the Danelectro pedals are cheap does'nt mean there bad, man.
The transparent OD is actually GREAT, lots of there pedals are cheap cuz Danelectro is a seriously underrated company. SOME cheaper digitech pedals are bad, don't judge pedals by the price.

As for your price, for $70, TL-2 Hardwire metal distortion, its like a Metal Zone but balls to the walls. I would highly recommend that!

Yeah I forgot that Danelectro has a few, cheap little gems.

Cool Cat Metal Dist. is pretty sweet for 30 bucks from Danelectro, but I agree completely, The Hardwire pedals are pretty good.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
for a solid state practice amp .. the best pedal in fornt is the Line 6 uber metal .... it will bring your little practice amp into a very metal territory ..

great sound ... this pedal is kinda weird .. not that good in a tube amp .... not good in a pedalbaord cause it suck up the juice .

the best work is in front of solid state amp .

Line 6 uber metal ... will cost you about 50 $ , noise gate included in the pedal ..

great sound .

Imo the line 6 uber metal sound nothing like the InSANe channel of the crappy Line 6 spider II .

i dont like line 6 stuff usually ... but this pedal is good .

this pedla has his own sound by itself so it doesnt push your amp or whatever .. put the clean channel of the lead 20 and kick in the uber metal .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 7, 2010,
I have a MT-2 that I love. I don't really play teh br00tal metalz but when the mood strikes it sounds great.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
Buy the MT-2 for $40. Send it to Robert Keeley to do a mod on it which will set you back by another $75 but you will get some brutal tones.