Hi, I have a Les Paul Style guitar and I can't seem to get the intonation close to being right on my E,A,G or B strings. I have the saddle as far back as possible but the 12th fret note is still extremely sharp. Can anyone help me?
Compare the open string, to the 12th fret harmonic and intonate off that
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
The open string is perfect compared with the harmonic but almost every note except the open strings on said strings is still super sharp
sometimes it's old strings, or string gauge in general.

if you've ever changed factory string gauge, (i think in your case, too high a gauge)
or if you have too much neck relief (especially on a guitar that's less than intermediate level)

basically, you have to look at the strings, and the Entire set up of the guitar, and go from there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well, when you say lower, you went from what gauge to what gauge?

and with the prev gauge, could you intonate?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

how's the relief?

probably nothing like its factory settings.

which is what's messing it up royally.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The strings lay on the fretwire on the 7-9th frets when I hold the first and where neck meets body
Did you start by measuring the scale and setting the first string at the end of the scale or have you just been dicking around with the guitar as it was when you started?
I just started messing around with it because the when I got it the action needed to be raised and as I got better I wanted to make sure everything else on the guitar was right.
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter
The strings lay on the fretwire on the 7-9th frets when I hold the first and where neck meets body

if you want to try adding more relief...
turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
don't force the turn and let it settle in tune.

post back later, let me know if the string is moved a bit off the fret wire.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok I gave the truss rod a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise about an hour ago and the string still lays on the fret wire
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter
I just started messing around with it because the when I got it the action needed to be raised and as I got better I wanted to make sure everything else on the guitar was right.

You need to start over completely. Go to Fender.com and read the part of the Stratocaster setup guide (I know that you're working with a LP, but bear with me) that explains how to measure your guitar's scale and do that to find the starting point for intonating your first string. Then bring all of your saddles into alignment with the first one, and then start backing them back toward the stop bar, very slightly, using the size of the strings as the amount of distance (you can even use clipped string ends as gauges for this!). Once that is done your guitar is mostly intonated and should only need some very fine adjustments to get it perfect.
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter
ok I gave the truss rod a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise about an hour ago and the string still lays on the fret wire

ok, i know you still have back bow, but try the intonation again and see if it's closer to in tune.

then post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok, i know you still have back bow, but try the intonation again and see if it's closer to in tune.

then post back.

The intonation is still as bad as before
is the guitar more playable?

if we know we're going in the right direction, then it's helpful.

would you like to add more relief? or try something compensating the nut?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok same rules. 1/4 turn, dont force it and let it settle.

measure and post back later today.
let's see how it plays.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok same rules. 1/4 turn, dont force it and let it settle.

measure and post back later today.
let's see how it plays.

Alright it's sat for a few hours and the strings still are on the wire. I lowered my action and the intonation got better and now the notes are only about 25 cents sharp compared to 45.
ok wait until tomorrow, measure again.

if the string still lays on the wire at the middle, then hit it with another
1/4 counter clockwise turn.

dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.

post back tomorrow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
ok wait until tomorrow, measure again.

if the string still lays on the wire at the middle, then hit it with another
1/4 counter clockwise turn.

dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.

post back tomorrow.

Its still laying on the wire, should I just keep giving it 1/4 turns and letting it settle until it stops laying on it.
yeah but wait until tomorrow to adjust.

let's just take some time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah but wait until tomorrow to adjust.

let's just take some time.

Ok, sorry about that long wait. I was away from my guitar and computer for a while. A pick perfectly fits in the space between the string and fretwire. The intonation is still horrible though.
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter
Ok, sorry about that long wait. I was away from my guitar and computer for a while. A pick perfectly fits in the space between the string and fretwire. The intonation is still horrible though.

For the hell of it, try moving the saddle in the opposite direction, I mean, what could it hurt, you might of gotten it all backwards.
Quote by ethan_hanus
For the hell of it, try moving the saddle in the opposite direction, I mean, what could it hurt, you might of gotten it all backwards.

That didn't do anything. Which way are the screws you turn to move the saddle supposed to be facing, towards the the neck or towards the tailpiece.
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter

Are you using a tuner? It's pretty difficult to get it right by ear. How high is the action at the 17th fret? If your action is really high then the string will go sharp (compared to open note) when you fret it at the 12th fret. Not sure bout your guitar but 1/16th from the bottom of the strings to the top of the frets at 17th fret should be close enough to get good intonation.
~JP~
Quote by Sgt. Slaughter
That didn't do anything. Which way are the screws you turn to move the saddle supposed to be facing, towards the the neck or towards the tailpiece.

they can face either direction.

how's the relief?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
they can face either direction.

how's the relief?

a pick fits perfectly between the string and fretwire.
and still the intonation is no good?

are you fretting the 12th when the open string is in tune?

and are you using a tuner?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
and still the intonation is no good?

are you fretting the 12th when the open string is in tune?

and are you using a tuner?

Yes to all of those questions and the intonation is pretty much good on all the strings except for the low E and the G string
are the notes still sharp?

are the saddles flipped so the edges point away from the headstock on those 2 strings?

did increasing the relief help the guitar at all?

did we say these string were new?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62