So, I just ordered an ESP/Edwards E-RV-148, which comes with a floyd rose bridge. I probably would've prefered the guitar to be hardtail, but I ordered it anyway because I felt it was a really good deal.

Anyway, I've heard about tremolo blocks, and I'm wondering if doing this will allow me the same benefits of hardtail guitars (easy to change tuning, slightly different feel overall, etc.) or if all it does is prevent me from using the tremolo, in which case I won't bother.

Thanks.
Blocking the trem basically makes it into a locking hardtail. You can leave the nut unlocked and change tunings easily, and then lock the nut to keep it in tune. If you lock the nut, it'll stay in tune for AGES.
Or you can just take the pressure pads off the nut so you can change tunings very easily, but it wont stay in tune quite as well. Big bends (especially on the wound strings) could knock it out of tune a little bit, because the metal nut wont let the strings move as freely as a non-locking nut would. I'm not saying it wont stay in tune, just a tiny bit worse than a regular hardtail guitar.
if its a quality trem, i would leave it.. also u could add some springs to it to give it a little more tention instead of blocking it so its still usable
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
There's more sustain if you block it with something like a big chunk of wood, and keep the bridge level.

Basically that plus everything phil said.
Hm... so, if I do block it, will I still have to adjust spring tension to keep the floyd rose level? And if not, will changing the tuning (like maybe dropping the low string a step) and not adjusting anything else be bad for the guitar? Like causing excess tension somewhere?
Quote by fixationdarknes
Hm... so, if I do block it, will I still have to adjust spring tension to keep the floyd rose level?

Not if you completely block it; it will, essentially, be a hardtail.

Read Phils post for more information.

And if not, will changing the tuning (like maybe dropping the low string a step) and not adjusting anything else be bad for the guitar? Like causing excess tension somewhere?

If you don't adjust the springs then the guitar will go out of tune.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Hm, I meant to say will I have to adjust spring tension on the blocked tremolo after tuning, which you say no since it's a hardtail, but then say if I don't it'll go out of tune?

I'm confused perhaps I'm just reading it wrong.
If you block the trem, you don't need to adjust the springs at all. He was saying if you don't block it it'll go out.
When you block the bridge you need to have enough tension fromt he spring(s) to keep it in the body. After all it is just floating betwene 2 tension points. My ibanez bridge has 2 peices of maple on either side of one sping in the center that is super tight. It also has 2 skrews in the body behind the bridge block to stop it from moving in that direction. its perfectly level were it should be at and i cannot move anywere.
Since I don't think it's been addressed and the TS mentioned it, will blocking it take it from the elastic feel of a lot of tremolos to the stuck-like-a-fencepost(I know it's a weird analogy, but every time I try to come up with a strange word to describe a hardtail's feel, fenceposts come to mind) feel of a hardtail?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Yeh, I thought that "And if Not" part of your post meant if you didn't block the trem, I see what you were saying now.

If you block the trem correctly, you won't need to mess with the springs because the bridge won't be able to move. If you didn't block the trem and dropped the tuning without adjusting the springs, than the springs would have more tension than the strings, and the bridge would be pulled into the body, causing the other strings to go sharp, but if you block the bridge, it won't matter because the bridge won't be able to move, so the guitar will stay in tune.

Let me know if that didn't make any sense.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...