hey ug. i come bearing (sp?) bad news and troubles. tonight at band practice, i was playing my 5150 mk1 head through it's 5150 4x12 and i noticed a consistent decrease in volume after about 5-10 seconds when i went from standby to on. i've noticed it before but it was really apparent tonight. the volume doesn't continue fading out until there isn't any noise, it just drops in volume at around 5-10 seconds of turning it on.

when i first got the amp, 3 on the post gain was decently loud. now i have to turn it to 5 or 6 to get anything near the same volume. i have a behringer dsp 1000 (lol) and an alesis 3630 compressor running through the effect loop to get some decent delay/reverb for leads and what not. i noticed a few weeks ago that when i switched the effect loop on with the footswitch, there was a noticeable decrease in volume. i tried looking through the dsp 1000 manual and even tried contacting behringer about it but couldn't find anything. before that, the output of the effect loop and the lead channel were nearly the same.

i did some basic trouble shooting, fooled around with some settings and eventually was just running straight into my amp (no pedals, no effect loop), and i decided that's where the loss in volume was coming from. i think the output of the dsp 1000 and the general loss in volume are the same issue.

i opened up the panel where the preamp tubes are and placed the amp on standby to get the tubes to warm up and glow. i noticed that preamp tube on the far right was glowing brighter than the other 4. i'm not sure if this is normal or not. the others were glowing but they weren't nearly as bright.

i followed the forums golden rule by searching and i didn't find anything since i think this maybe a specific problem. i found one thread on ss.org that had some similarities but it wasn't clear on whether it was a preamp or a power amp tube problem.

sorry for the wall of text and i apologize for any grammar issues. im running on like 4 hours of sleep and im about to fall asleep on my keyboard. hopefully i've been clear enough.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Perhaps you should take it in to a guitar store to have someone look at it.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Sounds like it could be failing poweramp tubes. How long ago was it when you got it retubed?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Sounds like you need four of these:

And one of these:

Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by seemeel
Perhaps you should take it in to a guitar store to have someone look at it.

i would but when i was playing my 5150 II, i took it to my local shop and they have no idea what to do with peavey amps. its kinda weird but that's pretty much what the guy straight up told me.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
Sounds like it could be failing poweramp tubes. How long ago was it when you got it retubed?

i was hoping it wasn't that. im not sure how long ago it was since i bought the amp used. i'll have to email the guy i bought it off of to find out for sure.

Quote by Kanthras

And one of these:

haha how did you know i like redbull? have one in my fridge right now.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Quote by gebgebgeb
buuump

Any update on the age of the power tubes? It's probly just that.

Also, everyone likes Red Bull.

Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras

And one of these:

^Correct answer here.
I'd also change the preamp tubes while you're at it just to make sure.
Definitely sounds like power tubes. Your 5150 should be louder than hell.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
im still not sure yet. i tried emailing the guy i bought it off of and i haven't got a response yet. i was looking at eurotubes site and was looking at the high gain option tube set. has anyone dealt with this site or this tube set? its not a terrible price so im pretty interested.

also, i looked into changing tubes and it looks pretty simple. just gently rock the tubes back and forth while pulling them back. to install just line the pins and and push in. does that sound about right?

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Eurotubes only recommend JJs, regardless of how they would affect your amp.

And yes, that's pretty much it, but try to do as little wiggling as possible when taking them out; you don't want to bend the pins.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
oh well i don't know much about tubes haha.

i saw in a video on youtube that you want to take the power tubes out with a cloth or something so you don't leave oils on it from your fingers. seems like a good piece of advice to me.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
this may be a late pass on this issue but your problem is most likely dirty effects loop jacks. spray a little contact cleaner on a cable, work it in and out of the jacks a few times and you should be good to go. pretty common problem for 5150's. and much cheaper than replacing tubes. hope this helps.
Quote by Kanthras

And one of these:

I'm nursing cracked ribs.. LOL'd. Ouch.
Funny Chit Mangk.