I was gonna do a review of these, but I can't find anywhere to review cables/leads. So, I'll drop my two cents in here. I bought a Fender Koil Kord cable about 3 weeks ago now, only to have it go into a state of total fail last night. When I first used it, it was pretty good, but that didn't last long.

The cable is made with a right angle end, and a straight end. What confuses me, is that it has arrows on the cable, implying the right angle end is the 'out' and the straight end is the in. However, you can't actually use a right angle end on a Stratocaster, without some absurd side effects. Of course, it doesn't actually matter what end goes where, it just seems really backwards of them to do that. The right angle end is where my problem is however, as the actual contact sheath is too long, and the area behind the tip is too scooped out, meaning the cable bounces in and out of most of my guitars. I countered this by wrapping the lead around the strap, however this put tension on the join between the cable and the plug, which has torn out the cable inside. Being a strange designed right angle, I can't easily open up the lead and re-solder it.

It was good while it lasted, but I honestly think this is disappointing. It cleaned up the noise I get with my other cables, but it was hard to get it to sit well, and now it only blasts white noise anyway. I've been using cheap leads which have lasted me for years, and decided I'd get a purpose built guitar lead, presuming it would be better quality. The amount of hype in the little booklet that came with it had me expecting a cable that was built well and would last a while.

Anyway, that's my bitch for the day. Why doesn't UG have a reviewing template for leads/picks/etc.?
Fender cables are pretty much the crappiest you can get in my experience. Those cheap ones they give out at Guitar Center lasted longer than the ones I owned. I eventually started making my own using Mogami cable and Neutrik ends.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Isn't the cable under warranty still? Even if you didn't keep the receipt, I'd still give it a try...

One of my KoilKords (10 ft white) is pretty flimsy, but the 20 ft black one is perfect.
Quote by jetwash69
Isn't the cable under warranty still? Even if you didn't keep the receipt, I'd still give it a try...

One of my KoilKords (10 ft white) is pretty flimsy, but the 20 ft black one is perfect.

It should be and I'll definitely try, I'm just dissapointed it didn't last longer. I think the black ones are 'premium' cables, so they're probably made better. I think I'll go back to the old faithful 'Hot Wires' things I've been using. I can't find a single bit of information about them, but I've put them through hell and they still work better. I bought the fender one to replace one which was going a bit crackly, but at the moment it's becoming the other way around.
What you need is a whitey coily cable from the good folks at Bullet Cables.
Quote by Kcintlob

Everyone seems really divided over Bullet cables. Some people swear by them, whereas others swear they're totally crap. I didn't buy one on the basis that they didn't have any 30ft ones in stock, and the 15ft one cost twice as much as the Fender one. I geuss now I know why.
Quote by Ali-b912
Everyone seems really divided over Bullet cables. Some people swear by them, whereas others swear they're totally crap. I didn't buy one on the basis that they didn't have any 30ft ones in stock, and the 15ft one cost twice as much as the Fender one. I geuss now I know why.

Sorry, I was just quoting every single Gearmanndude demo
Quote by Kcintlob

Never heard of him before. But now Im going to watch all of these because this guy is lulzy.
Quote by Kcintlob

OMG it's jack black amirite?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
OMG it's jack black amirite?

Actually it's Eric Whorton
Quote by Kcintlob

Funny, I was just thinking about them when I scrolled down to that post. Got a black Bullet Cable with the bullets. It's really heavy, but it works great and holds up. Ironically I like it best with the Strats, and like my Fender cable with the 90 degree side in the guitar for my RG & my Avenger when playing sitting down (keeps the cable from rubbing against the chair and stressing the plug & jack).

I like the Bullets for the cool factor, but the extra weight is a bit of a pain day to day; probably worth it for gigging, though. And the bullet is easy to grip for quick changes on stage.
I use a right angle plug with my Strat. no problems.

Quote by Kcintlob

No.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lava-RetroCoil-20-foot-Instrument-Cable-Straight-to-Straight-Silent?sku=585647&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=558200816
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Kcintlob

And a Dr Z Maz 18, and a Relic Tele from King Bee Guitars

GMD gives me so much GAS, even though half the time he's failing hard . He plays rockabilly through phasers and metal distortions lol.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 13, 2010,
Something with non-molded ends is always a good idea. In other words, don't be an idiot and buy cables that you can't fix (like I did).

And yes, Fender cables are indeed crap.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Get two nice 1/4" TRS plug from an electronics store, clip off the shitty molded jacks, solder new awesome jacks in place, ???, profit!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Agreed.

Although, guitar cables are only TS (mono for other folks).

Ah, of course.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by forsaknazrael
Making my own cables was one of the best decisions evar.
Gotta agree there. You can't beat the price/performance ratio. Just a few weeks ago I made two 1m and one 4m cables with good connectors for about the same price as a single 1m shitty Fender molded cable.

In fact, I decided to make those cables myself after seeing the Fender cable's price and going "**** that shit, I'm making my own cables".
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I got the premium one, and it's pretty decent really, it hasn't failed me for the last 6 months or however long I've had it.

But it doesn't fit in my Strat, so I plug it into the amp from a pedal. I suppose you've got to learn how to look after these things.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Kanthras
Gotta agree there. You can't beat the price/performance ratio. Just a few weeks ago I made two 1m and one 4m cables with good connectors for about the same price as a single 1m shitty Fender molded cable.

In fact, I decided to make those cables myself after seeing the Fender cable's price and going "**** that shit, I'm making my own cables".

Yup. if you know where to buy, you can get great stuff. I use Canare cable, the capacitance is only 49 pF per foot.

Some more expensive stuff is even lower.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yup. if you know where to buy, you can get great stuff. I use Canare cable, the capacitance is only 49 pF per foot.

Some more expensive stuff is even lower.

Mogami is only 37 pF per foot I think. That's what I've been using for forever. I've got my board wired up with George L's .255 that I soldered into normal Switchcraft jacks and capacitance is only 21 pF per foot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

All my cables are 1 straight end and 1 90 degree right angle end, works great if your running pedals, not so great if your going straight into the amp.

Word of advice, the angle end typically goes into the pedal or amp, and the straight end goes into the guitar, mainly strats. Any other way and your going to cause excessive wear on the cable.

It's prolly a decent cable, you were just using it wrong.
How much is Canare? I can't remember. Mogami is only $.81 a foot. George L's is like $1.25 a foot, hence why it's only on my pedal board.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I use a VOX version of the fender koil kord you reviewed. I absolutely love it. Great tone, and it's lived twice as long as any other cord I've used so far. No problems with anything coming unplugged either. Seems like a tight fit. Almost too tight on my brothers Ibby S guitar.

The only downside it it's a heavy bugger, for a cable! Plus, it's one expensive SoB!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ya but those are significantly more expensive.

Besides, lower capacitance isn't always desirable. Which is why these coil cords exist.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9