Page 1 of 2
Who is your greatest influence?

Who do you try to play like, sound like, write like? And why?

Mine this will sound cleche of me but def The Beatles and The Killers. I love they're music and they are a huge reason I play guitar to this day. If I could just write one song that represents a song like they'res I will be happy.

The Beatles, everyone likes them but I mean its hard not to be influenced by them.

The Killers are just amazing they remind me of The Beatles. I actually only started listening to The Beatles a few years ago but I have been listening to The Killers for as long as I can remember.

I got into the Beatles because the Killers.

Both bands write the most heartfelt, emotionally raw songs you can ask for and they have positive messages and they play quality music.
David Gilmour.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yea I am bad at the hole they're there their thing... I forget the name for it but I am horrible at it my girlfriend always has to correct me.
Quote by stubbs
Yea I am bad at the hole they're there their thing... I forget the name for it but I am horrible at it my girlfriend always has to correct me.

It is whole, not hole.

OT: The most noticeable influences in my music are Iron Maiden and Helloween. Throw in some Avantasia / Edguy / Kamelot and Black Majesty and that is about it.

EDIT: Sometimes there is a bit of a DragonForce influence, and a lot of my solos are very Metallica inspired (think Fade to Black, Master of Puppets etc, not wah-raping wank .)
Last edited by Kämpfer at Aug 7, 2010,
I'll have to make a list...
In no order:
Mars Volta
Pink Floyd
At the Drive-in
Omar Rdoriguez
Larry Harlow
The Beatles
RX Bandits
Fall of Troy
Jimi Hendrix
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Alan Parsin's project
REM
Nirvana
The Animals
Greatful Dead
Coheed and Cambria
Phish
Family
Saosin
Circa Survive
Anthony Green
Led Zeppelin
Ryan Adams
J J Cale - The flow of the music
The Allman Brothers Band - epic sound
Lynyrd Skynyrd - sound
ZZ Top - Simplicity and not afraid of reworking old time music
Traffic (Steve Winwood) - Use of instruments in recording
The Rolling Stones - Complexity made simple, just appealing sound
Frank Zappa - Complexity of composition, live performance
Maynard Ferguson - How to go way out there with music
Elvis Costello - variety in a show
J S Bach - the original shred on organ
Bo Diddley - innovation and guitar sounds
Dick Dale (and his Del-Tones) - use of non-rock scales, tremolo and speed guitar
The Ventures - The pure guitar tones and skill
Neil Young - The way he can hold the attention while playing live
Leadbelly - Pure guitar blues, no tricks
Robert Johnson - Where it all started

Yah, my playlists on my iPod make no sense.
Last edited by Quintex at Aug 7, 2010,
Joe Satriani and Jason Becker.

Joe Satriani cause he was my first touch with instrumental and ''virtuoso kinda like'' rock music. I love his performances and his style. Just amazing guitar playing and my first idol.

Jason Becker cause he is an absolute talent (even bigger than Hendrix). He could play any type of music. Every song he made was an huge burst of emotions, fellings and everything. But, what is most impressive about him is definitely his dedication to music. After he got the ALS, he still made songs and played live as long as he could move any part of his body. Just an inspiration to all of us.
I forgot to mention Coldplay has a huge influence on my writing.

I've noticed so far alot of you purely are going on souley on a music stand point.

I understand that though. Not everyone pays attention to just lyrics for emotion. Such as Metallica's music would mostly either enrage people or relax them.
stevie ray vaughan
bb king
albert king
freddie king
david gilmour
robert johnson
muddy waters
howlin' wolf
billy gibbons
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Paolo Gregoletto(Trivium) and Tim Commerford(RATM/Audioslave)

My favorite bass players and my favorite bands.
Eddie Hazel (+1 if you know him)
Eric Clapton
John Frusciante
Jeff Beck
Jack White.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
For my guitar playing, I'm mostly influenced by Satriani/Vai/Petrucci

They're just all beautiful players and masters of the instrument and they inspire me a lot.

For my actual composing, Dream Theater is my biggest influence, but I use elements from all the music I listen to.
I have a variety of influences.

In songwriting, my influences are Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Racer X, and Children of Bodom are prominent.

As for my guitar playing, my influences are Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, and Steve Vai. Those guys can shred like beasts, and can put out some good riffs and melodies too.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Pearl Jam and On The Might Of Princes combine two things I really like -- Grunge and Emo.
i don't know why i feel so dry
i have lists of influences that could go on for days.

but i try to sound, play and write music that sounds like me.
Kind of in z4twenny's camp. Being older than most on the board, my original influences were old folk musicians like Pete Seeger, Bob Gibson, Dave Van Ronk, Gary Davis... That bunch.
Over the years, I learned to appreciate all sorts of music, though mostly in the "roots" variety. Blues, bluegrass, singer-songwriter stuff.
When I learn a song, I listen to it enough to get the lyrics and try to work up an arrangement that I like.
I make no attempt to learn specific licks or solos.
So, I may not be good, but at least I'm recognizable.....

For instance... One of the tunes in my current repertoire is "Statesboro Blues." My arrangement is based on a combination of Chris Smithers' and David Bromberg's for the lyrics used, and I play it on a four-string cigar-box resonator guitar.
Quote by z4twenny

Exactly.

I don't try to sound like any musicians. Am I influenced by them? Absolutely.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jeff Buckley
John Mayer

Lyrics wise it's mostly Jeff and Brandon Boyd of Incubus, guitar wise is all four. They all have different styles that I appreciate. I love Mike's jazzy rock playing, John's Jimi Hendrix style, Jeff's chord choices, and John's pop/blues style. When I write songs I usually mix up chords that they use. I don't try to sound like them but I play the same kind of chords like them. I think that makes sense. One of my songs is written like this.

chords are B, G#m, Amaj7
e-----------------
B-----------------
G--6--4---------
D--4--4---6----
A--2--x---4----
E------4--5---

The B inversion is a chord similar that Mike used in Pardon Me acoustic, and similar to the chord used in Message in A Bottle by The Police. The G#m and Amaj7 are chords similar to two different John Mayer songs, Only Heart and Heartbreak Warfare the acoustic version.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Last edited by Fearless(Times) at Aug 7, 2010,
^ Incubus is a big influence for me too. They're so good at creating unique, interesting riffs, especially after S.C.I.E.N.C.E.. They broke ground on that album and continued to mix up every album after. My personal favorite as far as guitar playing goes is Morning View.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Iron maiden
Dire straits - Knopfler
Blue oyster cult
These are my major influences

My metal songs sound like Rage with some Nevermore in it
My hard rock sounds like 80's glam era with different timings and weird rhytm changes
My rock is very southern sounding like CCR/Skynyrd
My blues/jazz is like SRV's Lenny
Quote by Eastwinn
^ Incubus is a big influence for me too. They're so good at creating unique, interesting riffs, especially after S.C.I.E.N.C.E.. They broke ground on that album and continued to mix up every album after. My personal favorite as far as guitar playing goes is Morning View.

yes! I have a tie between The Crow Left of the Murder and Morning View, I love Make Yourself too but Morning View is just more my favorite.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Joe Pass, Aphex Twin, Porcupine Tree, Vai
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Bikewer
Kind of in z4twenny's camp. Being older than most on the board, my original influences were old folk musicians like Pete Seeger, Bob Gibson, Dave Van Ronk, Gary Davis... That bunch.
Over the years, I learned to appreciate all sorts of music, though mostly in the "roots" variety. Blues, bluegrass, singer-songwriter stuff.
When I learn a song, I listen to it enough to get the lyrics and try to work up an arrangement that I like.
I make no attempt to learn specific licks or solos.
So, I may not be good, but at least I'm recognizable.....

For instance... One of the tunes in my current repertoire is "Statesboro Blues." My arrangement is based on a combination of Chris Smithers' and David Bromberg's for the lyrics used, and I play it on a four-string cigar-box resonator guitar.

I officially love you. This is the kind of people that sell records. Someone who doesn't play perfectly or match a perfect sound. You my friend are a true artist in your very own way.
My list would look something like this:
Mars Volta/anything with Omar Rodriguez Lopez- He's written some very intricate music, check out Frances the Mute if you haven't already.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (please do not judge this band before hearing them they have really nice compositions and I would HIGHLY recommend them to everybody from metalheads to indie hipster kids to fans of classical music)
Frank Zappa- I shouldn't have to say more then that
My Bloody Valentine- Again don't judge by the band name, Kevin Shields can make his guitar sound like anything.
Robert Fripp- Look up Lark's Tongue in Aspik
Grateful Dead/ Phish- masters of improvisation
Crystal Castles/ Aphex Twin/ the Orb- I've been trying to get into some electronica kinda stuff and these guys have really stuck with me. I'm surprised with the way they've inspired me.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Soo many...

Singing:
-Layne Staley
-Jeff Buckley
-Ozzy
-Alice Cooper
-Jim Morrison

Guitar:
-Jeff Buckley
-Niel Young
-Tony Iommi
-Jerry Cantrell
-Slash
-Al Di Meola
-A bunch of blues/blues-rock guitarists

There are waay more...
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Quote by z4twenny

This.

I've been told I have my own style, but I've also been told Symphony X and Cynic make it into my songs a lot (ever since Cynic I've loved the palm-muted-tremolo-picking arpeggios).
id say
miles davis
pat martino
charlie parker
michael brecker
christian scott
george garzone
sonny sharrock
godpseed you black emporer
mono
the white stripes
the red hot chili peppers
gnarls barkley
broken bells
AFI
and of course, john coltrane
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Aug 10, 2010,
Rhythm : Exodus , Megadeth , Metallica , slayer , iron maiden , Arch enemy .
Lead : Jason Becker , Marty Friedman , Kirk hammett , Dave Mustaine , Micheal Amott , Joe Satriani , Eric johnsson , Jeff Loomis , Rusty Cooley , Dave Murray and many more!
Personally, there are so many influences I could go on forever. But most of all Tosin Abasi. He's not an influence, but when I first heard his solo record as Animals as Leaders I was like: "OMFG, that's exactly how I play/sound. WTF!!!" Except that technically I am nowhere near his level of mastery, only when it comes to the music do I feel eerily similar in style.

As far as singing goes, I've been compared to the bastard love child of Ben Gibbard and Jeremy McKinnon (whether that's a good thing I'm not 100% sure yet).

After reading the above, I feel like the ultimate narcissist. What the ****, I probably am anyways.
I try to play like Jerry Cantrell and then i try to write like Kurt Cobain lyrics he was very good with those.
I Have Nothing Important to Say.
I have to admit the main reason i started playing guitar is because i started listening to metallica but i don't listen to them as much as i used to but still love their older stuff all the same.

There has been a ton more since then but right now I'm really into Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Bach, Vivaldi, and Armin van Buuren.
Quote by Stringz of Fury
There has been a ton more since then but right now I'm really into Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Bach, Vivaldi, and Armin van Buuren.

Don't hear about AVB much here, bravo! I saw him at EDC.

Anyways, I'd say my greatest influences are:

Allman Brothers Band
Sly & the Family Stone
Curtis Mayfield
Sublime
Bob Marley and Peter Tosh
King Tubby
Passafire
STS9
Infected Mushroom
Blind Melon
The Rolling Sones
P-Funk
John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
Miles Davis, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Sun Ra, and some other jazz artists
Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Atmosphere, Talib Kweli, The Fugees, and a lot of hip-hop
Some different trance, psytrance and other electronic music
My list of influences is so wide reaching and diverse you couldn't begin to compute how great of a musician it makes me.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Guitar-wise my influences are John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Mattias lA Eklundh for their licks phrasing and melodic style (each one unique). Riff-wise I like BTBAM, CKY, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Opeth, even Genesis has been really wearing off on my lately (Especially "Selling New England by the Pound)
Quote by Kämpfer
It is whole, not hole.

OT: The most noticeable influences in my music are Iron Maiden and Helloween. Throw in some Avantasia / Edguy / Kamelot and Black Majesty and that is about it.

EDIT: Sometimes there is a bit of a DragonForce influence, and a lot of my solos are very Metallica inspired (think Fade to Black, Master of Puppets etc, not wah-raping wank .)

Hehehehehe... Oh you...
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Last edited by skylerjames13 at Oct 11, 2010,
Page 1 of 2