Page 1 of 2
I bought my first electric guitar, LTD AL-600 pink sawtooth, about 2 years ago. I always figured that if and when I got my next guitar I could sell this one. I have just bought a Jackson RR5, AND an Edwards E-RV-148. And I still don't plan on selling my LTD lol. I feel like I have too many memories with it sitting between my legs being rocked out on. But at the same time, this cycle could just keep going on and on and if I never learn to let go... one day I may end up with an impractically huge pile of guitars. Of course I only have 3 guitars now, and I know a lot of you have that many or more. But still, it's the concept of it all...

How do you guise feel about it?
I'm a packrat, I have difficulty getting rid of a lot of things. I still have some broken gear.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by fixationdarknes
I bought my first electric guitar, LTD AL-600 pink sawtooth, about 2 years ago. I always figured that if and when I got my next guitar I could sell this one. I have just bought a Jackson RR5, AND an Edwards E-RV-148. And I still don't plan on selling my LTD lol. I feel like I have too many memories with it sitting between my legs being rocked out on. But at the same time, this cycle could just keep going on and on and if I never learn to let go... one day I may end up with an impractically huge pile of guitars. Of course I only have 3 guitars now, and I know a lot of you have that many or more. But still, it's the concept of it all...

How do you guise feel about it?

It should just be tradition that you don't sell your first guitar...
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
If my first bass still didn't play so good it would've been gone 5 years ago. Same goes with my first guitar. Of the 6 I've sold off (3 basses and 3 guitars) I only miss my old 7 string, since now I sorta want one.
i havent gottin rid of a single guitar i should stop naming them
i even have rigth handed guitars i got attached to and i even try to play them all
i have problems
Can't say I do. I've loved most of my guitars, but each time I get a new one it's always because it has some sort of improvement over the one before; it sounds better, it looks better, it's a better size, it's lighter, it's easier to play, etc. When I first started, I had no idea what I was looking for or what makes a great guitar for my style of playing. With experience, I've learned what characteristics I like and what I don't like.

For me, the thrill of getting a new guitar has always greatly outweighed whatever sentiment I had for the old guitar I am selling to afford the new one.

I no longer have my first acoustic or electric guitars and to be very honest I don't miss them either. My practice and determination will be what brings me wherever I go with music, not the guitars.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Aug 7, 2010,
I did at first but now not so much. I've got 8 guitars jus now and have owned 21 in total over my time. Except recently i bought a kramer focus 6000 and the guitar was great in every way (maybe bar pickups but that can be fixed) but my hand didnt gel with the neck at all. I thoght the guitar was cool as hell but my hands ached when i used it so im selling it on again. I really thought it had mojo too :@> I think if i can find another one with a more fender like profile i'll buy it because the problem was it was wide like an ibanez but way thicker if that makes sense :@
Quote by Guitarbaddie
It should just be tradition that you don't sell your first guitar...

getting rid of my first guitar was the best thing i ever did

i've only had real trouble selling one guitar. a guy came to test it out at my house, then left to get some money out of an ATM. he brought an amp to test it out on and i sat there and played it one last time just thinking "damn... this thing does sound good..." (Ibanez RGA121)

the only other time i've regretted selling was my Les Paul BFG, but i could kind of tell from day 1 i wasn't going to get along with that guitar. comfort is high on my list of things i need in a guitar and that thing was heavy AND sharp on the edges on the back. we didn't get along very well. even if it sounded downright ridiculous.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
getting rid of my first guitar was the best thing i ever did

i've only had real trouble selling one guitar. a guy came to test it out at my house, then left to get some money out of an ATM. he brought an amp to test it out on and i sat there and played it one last time just thinking "damn... this thing does sound good..." (Ibanez RGA121)

the only other time i've regretted selling was my Les Paul BFG, but i could kind of tell from day 1 i wasn't going to get along with that guitar. comfort is high on my list of things i need in a guitar and that thing was heavy AND sharp on the edges on the back. we didn't get along very well. even if it sounded downright ridiculous.

Where CAN you get a BFG now?
Quote by the_wassel
Where CAN you get a BFG now?

From Gibson. They turned it into the Gary Moore Signature BFG.
Do I miss an Epiphone Les Paul Jr? No.

I've bought and sold a lot of guitars while on the path to finding 'what works.' I've got 2 RG's now and I'm pretty happy with them, the only two guitars from days gone past that I wish I still had are an Ibanez AFS75T (I think that's the model, big red semi-hollow with an Ibanez bigsby) and an OLP MM1.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I do not sell my guitars.Why? Because I do not buy every thing that catches my eye. I buy guitars with my ears and hands and use the eyes to find things wrong with the guitar as a machine.Pretty finishes,flame maple,cool colors do not mean jack shit if the guitar can not preform the one job it has in life. Making music. So,when I do buy a guitar it is mine forever.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Look at my profile and tell me what you think lol

Though I would never sell my 1st guitar

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I regret selling four of six guitars and four of five keyboards and one of four amps. I need to remind myself that there all funded more important purchases at the time.
my schecter (first electric)? don't even touch it or you may lose a few fingers.

my jackson? not quite as much, im very attached to it, but thankfully ive done so much work to it it would never sell for what it's worth! keeps me from making a veeeery big mistake like selling it!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Also, as a side question, even if the modifications I do to a guitar are IMO (and likely in the eyes of many others) overall improvements, the guitar will still retain a lower resale value? For example shaving the paint off a neck and re-finishing it with satin, or maybe having the cutaway on the upper fret area of the guitar body deepened. Also, switching pickups?
Quote by conor1148
my jackson? not quite as much, im very attached to it, but thankfully ive done so much work to it it would never sell for what it's worth! keeps me from making a veeeery big mistake like selling it!
Same story with my cheap-o Ibanez. I'd never be able to sell it for what it's worth to me.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
For the question: no, I haven't found it difficult. That's because I haven't had time to develop any sentimentalism for the guitars I've owned. So far I've regretted only 1 trade. I'm just seeking for the best possible gear (subjectively).
I've only been able to sell gear that I've barely used. Once I've used anything for more than a few months, I can't bring myself to part with it, even if it's effectively useless. I've still got my Rally LP copy, that I've not touched in over a year, living under my bed; I've still got my first amp, a Fender Bullet 150, sitting in my bedroom even though it hasn't been used in over four years.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ Lol that makes me feel better that I'm not the only who who feels this way. I just worry that I may ONE day want to sell something, but won't be able to for a decent price since I plan on possibly doing some modding to my guitars to get them to my exact liking (shave paint off neck and finish with satin, pickup swaps, series/parallel switches, deepen upper fret cutaway, etc.). Hm...
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 7, 2010,
No.

I've only had three guitars including this one, and while I do feel sort of a bond between me and my squier, if given the opportunity, I would sell/trade it for funds to get another guitar or another guitar. Such as, the Douglas Shadow
pretty sure ill never get rid of my 2 guitars now. nothing special. epi les paul custom in alpine white. its probably not worth more than 400, but it plays really well and i doubt i can get anything better for under 2x the price. plus, i get soooo many compliments on it.

only way i would ever get rid of it is on a trade in pretty much for a new guitar i really wanted. wont happen, cause by the time im done with it, the frets will be gone. ive worn down my frets about 25% in about a year cause ive been playing like 5 hours a day on it.

...so by the time i get rid of it it will need a 350-400 buck fret job (for bound fretbaord) and thats the worth of the guitar. so i might as well play it till it falls apart. then i will weep and say ive had the satisfaction of saying i play so much my guitars actually die. like i need a new one due to FUBAR wear. get me some street cred haha

and my univox 1970s hi-flier, which is worth abuot 250, and i rebuilt it. so i made it work, nobody knows what it is, and ill never see it again.

and....the neck feels good to play. thin, narrow, and tiny vintage frets. different than any guitar ive ever picked up (mosrite copy)
Last edited by ikey_ at Aug 7, 2010,
Personally I don't have any plans on selling my LTD either. It's my first guitar, and well. I just like it too much, even though I'm planning on getting better stuff in the near future.

On the other hand, when I do have what's better, I don't think I'd have major trouble selling it.
Well, I pawned my VERY first guitar (Squier Strat) along with the amp for $100...used that along with money I saved to buy a Schecter Omen 6 from a different pawn shop that same day...I still have that Schecter even though I probably should've upgraded a year ago. :P
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

I haven't sold, traded or gotten rid of any of my guitars. I'm not sure if I'd have trouble getting rid of any of them or not but I modify and repair my cheap ones without many second thoughts.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Not especially. Sometimes I have moments of sentimental regret, but it's not the end of the world. It's just stuff.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have a Washburn X10 for my first guitar and once I'm finished installing everything after I get it back from the paint shop, I'll have spent enough to get a decent mid-range guitar. I can't let it go

I'll probably play it until the neck is simply unplayable, then keep the body until I have enough spare change lying around to buy another neck.
I've wanted to sell my first guitar, and even brought it all the way to the pawn shop.
Just to realize that I really want to go home and play it again, and just leave it in my car as I go in to get strings or picks that I don't need.
So I'll probably end up never selling it...
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
I sit here with my musicians soul completely defiled and mutilated, my friends. First guitar, Aspen dreadnought acoustic. Cheap, worked. First electric, Ibanez RG2EX2. Sold. Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl FR with duncans. Sold. Dean Dime-o-flauge ML. Given as replacement for fudging up a soldering job on a friends' bronze warlock. BC Rich Avenge Son Of Beast. Sold. Spider 3 15W. Sold. Peavey Vyper 30W. Sold. Digitech Grunge. Given away. Fender Starcaster. Took lessons with that strat, closest thing to a strat I ever owned. Comfortable as hell. Given to my brother, who sold it when in a financial rut. Rocktron R15. Given to brother with Starcaster, also sold at same time.

Had sentimentality for EVERY one of those. As much as I hate to say it, even the spider 3 15W and the Rocktron R15. they were little, portable, and the spider was a birthday gift. Even though their tone was horrid, they both got alright cleans and once again, portability. Only practice amps I've ever had.

All I have left is an Agile LP, Ibanez WD7, and Spider 3 75W. I miss ALL the gear I got rid of, every little bit of it. Out of all of those I miss the RG2EX2 the most. GOD I miss that guitar.

Do yourself a favor, no matter how much the financial burden or GAS'ing gets, if you love an instrument, don't part with it. Don't sacrifice, it ****ing sucks outright.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
not really, i got rid of my first and second guitar with ease BUT

my epiphone les paul is the problem.

i have never really wanted to sell it but since i blew all the money i got when i did my 4 weeks TA basic training on that thing it has IMENSE sentimental value.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I own three guitars. My first guitar and I have sort of a love-hate thing going on - it's junk, so I won't be able to sell it anyway, so I will properly and up owning it forever unless I can give gift somehow

My two other guitars have an actual resell value but I won't be able to do it. They both have a name so I would have to be a heartless bastard to sell them. Rosie and Tank Girl forever in my heart.

The only piece of gear I might sell is my starter amp. No bond there.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
i think it would unless i never used it.

As i sold my bass a few days ago for 135$

i just never used it, every once in a while id play for shits n' giggles but other than that it just sat there.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Once I've had a guitar long enough to get attached to it, I don't think I could ever sell it. Add to that the fact that I would have no real reason to sell a guitar shortly after getting it, and the result is no selling guitars for me.
I would find it very hard to sell my guitars. Especially as they are named (Barbara, Gillian and Betty =D)

My first was stripped down to parts and used to make a new guitar for woodwork coursework.
Only you can read this....
Page 1 of 2