Alright, so when I listen to metal bands, I expect to hear nice, clean, aggressive vocals.
But sometimes, I hear this growling, screamed stuff that I'm not a very big fan of. Am I the only one that doesn't like sub-genres such as Black Metal, Death Metal, etc?
I don't mind some screamed vocals. But I hate when bands mostly all growl/scream, whatever you wanna call it.
I like vocals like Judas Priest, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Dream Theater, etc.
Some screamed vocals I actually like, such as Avenged Sevenfold. And some I don't mind in songs, as long as it's not all of that,
So what? Am I the only one?
Now before the idiots and douchebags come out, don't flame me cause I don't like those vocals. Big deal. Just asking if anyone else doesn't like 'em.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
growling makes it easy for bands to make songs with shitty sub-par lyrics. you could growl whatever you want and the morons in the audience would still go "**** YEAH!!! THESE DUDE ROCK!!!"
i dont understand what they are saying so whats the point of having lyrics
id rather have a well written instrumental than add subpar unintelligible lyrics
Quote by supersac
i dont understand what they are saying so whats the point of having lyrics
id rather have a well written instrumental than add subpar unintelligible lyrics

Because vocals are only there so you can critique the lyrics, right?

Where do you people come from... It's only threads like these where we get random people dropping their useless opinions in
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by jetfuel495
Hey, you're right. He does sound like you from last year

What a dark time that was
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Scout1011
Because vocals are only there so you can critique the lyrics, right?

Where do you people come from... It's only threads like these where we get random people dropping their useless opinions in

america
and this thread asks for our opinion
also i dont like being yelled at
Last edited by supersac at Aug 7, 2010,
Yeah, I just realised this isn't even a reccomendation thread, just another "I don't like X, who agrees" which will end in a lock. Which means this thread is worse than I originally thought.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by TheReverend724
I thank myself for improving you

I thank you too
Quote by Scout1011
Yeah, I just realised this isn't even a reccomendation thread, just another "I don't like X, who agrees" which will end in a lock. Which means this thread is worse than I originally thought.

It's somewhat of a call to arms.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by Scout1011

K well first of all, I didn't intend it to be that kind of thread. My goal was to ask what is so appealing about screamed vocals. (Which I admit I poorly asked, if I even did at all)
I ain't bashing it, though I want to find out what's so appealing about it, cause I find it mostly unappealing,
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Vocals take a while to get used to for me.
I used to hate Mastodon because of the vocals, same with Coheed and Cambria. All That Remains took a while too but they are on of my favorite bands now. Stuff just grows on you I guess

The question is, do you these vocals?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRedQTGSnA
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
Stuff just grows on you I guess

Fucking this.
Quote by lolmnt
Vocals take a while to get used to for me.
I used to hate Mastodon because of the vocals, same with Coheed and Cambria. All That Remains took a while too but they are on of my favorite bands now. Stuff just grows on you I guess

The question is, do you these vocals?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRedQTGSnA

Can't really listen to it right now, listened to the first like 10 seconds of it. Didn't really like it. I like the band when they sing clean though.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
Can't really listen to it right now, listened to the first like 10 seconds of it. Didn't really like it. I like the band when they sing clean though.

Oh good lord, that's sad that you decide on a band within 10 seconds.
No offense, but you sir, are hopeless
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Personally I think screamed/growled vocals add a feeling of aggression and raw intensity to songs that wouldn't be achieved through just singing... Some bands do write sub-par lyrics and just scream dumb stuff but many bands scream things they are very passionate about.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Last edited by nodurquack at Aug 7, 2010,

Oh good lord, that's sad that you decide on a band within 10 seconds.
No offense, but you sir, are hopeless

I just said to you, that I can't really listen to it right now.
I cannot listen to it right now, cause I am on my laptop, with my two sleeping friends, ina hotel room. I cannot play it, cause I don't want to disturb their sleep, cause we have a 9 hour drive ahead of us.
I don't judge songs or bands on the first 10 seconds, usually it's a 1 - 2 minute judge, with about 4 song minimum.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Filthy and morbid music requites filthy and morbid vocals. This is why extreme metal has extreme vocals and why the lighter sub genres don't.If your not into it that's fine, it's your loss.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
Filthy and morbid music requites filthy and morbid vocals. This is why extreme metal has extreme vocals and why the lighter sub genres don't.If your not into it that's fine, it's your loss.

If I'm not into it, it's not a loss at all, lol.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
If I'm not into it, it's not a loss at all, lol.

Nah, you're really missing out.
Quote by lolmnt
Well considering the vast passion and great composition that comes with good death and black metal it is.But it's not meant for the close minded anyways.I like bands who sing as well but nothing can compare to bands like Incantation or Autopsy for sheer power and great songwriting in my opinion.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

For some bands where the lyrics are completely incomprehensible, I like to think of the vocals as just another instrument. I never put much weight into lyrics anyway.
Quote by lolmnt
there are so many ways to make a song agressive or scary. sure anyone can growl and squeal nothing wrong with it. but when you base an entire career on the same old shit it get's really boring. it's like hearing the same old song again and again.
I saw a really crappy show once here in romania. there was this shitty band called "psycogod" or something like that; the had this fat chick as a vocalist who couldn't really speak english that well but she was growling in english and all the retards in the crowd were like YEAH!! SAy THAT SHI.T!!!