I only use a pick when I need to palm mute or when I'm covering a song that was originally played with a pick. I usually prefer to use my fingers, it also gives the opportunity for slap. And when I play chords I never really know what to do with my right hand. Advice? When do you guys pick? I like having multiple techniques at my disposal, instead of just choosing one.
I only tend to use a pick when I've been playing for hours and my fingers hurt

I suppose I'll record some stuff at some point with distortion and a pick, it just depends on the sound you want.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 7, 2010,
Using the pick, or the fingers, ONLY depends on the sound you want in the end. Any other excuse is not valid. That's what I think. =)
I prefer playing with a pick and so I play with one most of the time. I do still practice other techniques but nowhere near as much. It does factor in to what sound you want but if you prefer playing with your fingers, the sound that you want to achieve may not make you decide to use a pick. You may just get over it and use your fingers anyway.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
i use a pick when a song calls for a root note shredding speed my fingers just can't handle
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Well, I play with pick occasionally but, I've never had a NEED to play with one for a live show. A pick has it strong suits, and sio does fingers. Here look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxHBW0YpZw&feature=channel

This guy doesn't help much but it's a start. Just do your research and find out whats best for you. Honestly, if you're into Metal, and you plan on playing in a metal band, then it's best you use a pick. Even though, in my honest opinion, the three-finger playing style was invented in metal for metal, it's best you use a pick.
as most people seem to be saying on here, i only use a pick if the original song was picked, but even that is very rare as i find using my fingers just as easy
i use a pick when playing metal or hard rock. (tool, primus....)
I use a pick alot.

If there is a song that I like to play some parts with fingers, some parts with a pick - I'll bust out the trusty thumb pick.
When you want the tone that a pick offers you or feel more comfortable using one for a particular song.
signature
i never really notice a huge difference in sound when i use a pick or my fingers, i guess my ears just suck haha
I've noticed that if you put your thumb on the back pickup and hit the string from there, you still keep the tone of fingers but get a bit of the punchiness of a pick.

Picks are good for when you want some really fast notes, especially if you're hitting a lot of mute notes. Mute notes are a lot easier to use with a pick.
I use a pick when I like the sound it brings to the song.

If you can't tell the difference between your fingers sound and your pick sound, you need to spend some time playing with a pick so you can train your ear for it

Edit: reading that again sounded kinda harsh, I just mean that you should learn to hear the difference so you can tell what's better suited for the song
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by slaptasticdave
I use a pick when I like the sound it brings to the song.

If you can't tell the difference between your fingers sound and your pick sound, you need to spend some time playing with a pick so you can train your ear for it

Edit: reading that again sounded kinda harsh, I just mean that you should learn to hear the difference so you can tell what's better suited for the song

lol yea i get it, i accidentally come off as harsh on this site all the time just cuz i guess i dont put enough smiles or lols or whatever next to the post.

i guess thats what i need to do, and i should probly get some better picks, mine are these huge weird yellow picks where unless u look at the picture on it, u cant tell where to hold it cuz each corner is the same size
I use a pick cos it's way more fun (in my opinion). Sure the song could determine whether you pick or finger but I use a pick for almost all songs at it is my own way of playing that song. Play whichever way you think is more enjoyable.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by hypno-beans
I use a pick cos it's way more fun (in my opinion). Sure the song could determine whether you pick or finger but I use a pick for almost all songs at it is my own way of playing that song. Play whichever way you think is more enjoyable.

playing bass is equally as fun for me either way haha. i usually dont use a pick, so when my band is improvising i can add some slap whenever i feel like. i use the pick for palm-muting, but its a lot less often that in the middle of improv i would feel the urge to mute haha