I'm interested in these two heads. Any opinions on sound comparison?
Any other suggestions for a 100+ watt head? (Orange or possibly similar)
all depends on what you want to play the rv100 is very suited for rock and can do some metal
but the or120 is more of a beautiful clean to slight breakup kind of amp
Quote by josh_salty
the rv100 is very suited for rock and can do some metal

That amp has plenty of gain for all metal

But yes, two completely different amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've played an OR80 and it had a really beautiful clean all the way to the most amazing overdriven crunch, but it seemed like it was JUST barely short of the amount of gain I want to have available. But I've never heard anything more perfect.
I've never played a rockerverb.
Although enjoyable at what they do, Orange amps are just too expensive here. You can get something better with more gain for sometimes half the price. I do enjoy an Orange clean and overdrive though. It's a great sounding amp. Just too pricey and not enough gain for me. I imagine an overdrive pedal would push them into metal territory. Kirk W. from Down and what's his face from Slipknot use them with spectacular results in metal tones. YMMV.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
Although enjoyable at what they do, Orange amps are just too expensive here. You can get something better with more gain for sometimes half the price. I do enjoy an Orange clean and overdrive though. It's a great sounding amp. Just too pricey and not enough gain for me. I imagine an overdrive pedal would push them into metal territory. Kirk W. from Down and what's his face from Slipknot use them with spectacular results in metal tones. YMMV.

They're really not that expensive. Just as expensive as a good Marshall, and the RV100 sounds much better than any Marshall I've ever played.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^+1
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by TheWoodish
Nobody? Who doesn't love talking about Orange!

Me.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by MatrixClaw
They're really not that expensive. Just as expensive as a good Marshall, and the RV100 sounds much better than any Marshall I've ever played.

You live in the states or UK? Arn't they cheaper in the UK? They are pretty pricey here man. $2,300 for the Rockverb 100 and $3K for the Thunderverb 200. That's expensive to me. Not so sure I agree on the better sounding than "any" Marshall either. I really dig the tones from 410 and Kerry King sig amps. Not to mention the latest Slash sig amp. I think that one is in the Orange price range too.
Last edited by Flash Nightmare at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Flash Nightmare

The word "spectacular" should never be used to describe Slipknot or Down unless it's followed immediately by "fail".

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The word "spectacular" should never be used to describe Slipknot or Down unless it's followed immediately by "fail".

Can't say I disagree (I can actually stomach Down tho), but their tone still kicks ass regardless.
^ Yeah, I just think Phil Anselmo is a waste of carbon.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Yeah, I just think Phil Anselmo is a waste of carbon.

Oh c'mon, Phil's allright. He's just in pain, and misunderstood.

Just too pricey and not enough gain for me. I imagine an overdrive pedal would push them into metal territory. Kirk W. from Down and what's his face from Slipknot use them with spectacular results in metal tones.

You live in the states or UK? Arn't they cheaper in the UK? They are pretty pricey here man.

I don't mind a used one as long as it's working fine. The older the better actually. I love the straight Orange sound but I'd love to throw on the occasional fuzz pedal. And god I do love me some Down and Crowbar.
the RV100 sounds much better than any Marshall I've ever played.

I agree! Aside from a vintage plexi or a jcm800 which come close, but no cigar there.
I love the sound of the overdrive on the OR but I think it's just not enough. I might need to go find one, crank it and try it again.
If you want more gain out of an OR, run it with a boost?

I'd go for the OR, personally. The best amp Orange has ever made IMO, except maybe the Thunderverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
People slagging down and orange in one thread?

-rampage-

Ive not tried either tho lawl.

The ORs more classic rock, less gain, vintagey, rockerverbs more modern, a bit flubbier, moar gain.

As a guess anyway.
thunda-verbbbbbb

but really the rv100 is awesome for high gain

the or120 is awesome for vintage crunch gain.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Raijouta
If you want more gain out of an OR, run it with a boost?

You mean like with a pedal?

Quote by boffen
OR is awesome for crushing your face.

Yes! And dude you read my ****ing mind.
And also wow, last time I checked, Kurt's Oranges were TVs. Awesome!
Yes, I mean a pedal, like a Tubescreamer, but use it on top of the OR's breakup distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ That might give it some better highs as well if you use an 808.

Quote by Raijouta
Yes, I mean a pedal, like a Tubescreamer, but use it on top of the OR's breakup distortion.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ That might give it some better highs as well if you use an 808.

I am definitely going to try this if the place still has the OR head.