Yet, I am still stumped on what to do.

The thing is I don't know what would be a better buy, a PRS custom 24 or a Carvin custom.

I can't try either, because one doesn't really exist yet, and the other can't be found around here.

I really could use an amp upgrade, so I am leaning more towards the Carvin for budget reasons (I think my estimated Carvin was about $1400)..

My budget is roughly $3000, (military signing bonus and some work) so I could potentially buy a Prs and continue using my Peavey Vyper 30, or get a Carvin Custom and buy a new amp.

Comments, suggestions.
Buy the PRS and get a new amp later down the line

its not like you have a spider or mg
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
^ I think he meant the Carvin doesn't exist yet

I'd recommend searching up customer reviews for each to get an idea of what they're like, and - even though they have definite flaws in quality - try to find some decent quality video clips of the guitars being demoed (I realise this would be a hell of a lot harder with the Carvin, but give it a shot).

What sort(s) of music are you looking into playing, by the way? I'm sure somebody out there will post with some better advice.

Last edited by juckfush at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by xharass_natox
If it was me spending that amount of money I'd want to play the guitar first and make sure I loved it enough to buy it.
Though out of the two choices you've decided on - I'd go Carvin.

I really wish I could try these out, it's a total shot in the dark over it and if I make the wrong mistake I'd have messed up big, there is just no way I can try either, do to the limited variety in my area.

Are PRS really that far ahead of Carvin Custom? I've heard PRS tone through vids and it's amazing, I can't find a lot of Carvin vids though.

Yeah, I really do enjoy my amp, it was probably my favorite $200 spent.

Lately I've been playing a lot of Opeth, Protest the Hero band wise. Genre wise I've really been into playing some jazz.
i'd go with the custom 24. PRS makes amazing instruments, their attention to detail is ridiculous, and it'll keep it's resale value. Carvins have good resale value considering they're customs, but if the PRS gets you everything you want then i'd definitely go with that. if not the Carvin sounds like the perfect solution.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Get the Carvin man, it would be different and Marty Friedman used to play them in Cacophony and they sounded awesome!
it would be a shame to play either of those guitars through a vypyr, keep in mind your amp is a lot more important than your guitar
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
it would be a shame to play either of those guitars through a vypyr, keep in mind your amp is a lot more important than your guitar

As I noted above, one reason I'm leaning towards a Carvin. It'd leave me roughly 1-1.5k to go towards an amp. Thing is I don't want a tube, I need an amp that has equal tone but doesn't necessarily need the volume factor to achieve this.
The Carvin makes more sense economically and you get to decide all the features. Seems like a win win to me.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Just get a low wattage tube amp, something that's 5-15 watts.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Yeah, Carvin is a pretty clear choice imo. You get to pick it out yourself, and have plenty of money left over for a good amp.