Page 1 of 2
Well I've been looking for a guitar for the past several months now, and finally I landed this sexy sexy guitar. I tried it out back in June, so I sure took my time to mull it over with all the other Schecters, Epiphones and Ibanezes I tried, but this was clearly my favourite.

Anyway,

Got it with a PRS softcase. Not big on the looks but seems pretty effective. Best softcase I've had so far, but will get a hard one soon.

all that's left now is...

this guitar is quite the looker and is one of the finest looking guitars I've played.

maple top with a flame maple veneer. by the way, this colour is called whale blue...

my setup's a work in progress, but i'm pretty proud of it so far

Time for the review now!

Price - 35000 Indian Rupees (760 USD, 479 quid)
Shop - SB Music, Mumbai, India.
Addons - Gigbag, allen keys, screws, trem, bunch of picks.

Build -
All PRS SE guitars are made in Korea unlike their standard line which is MIA. I'm not fortunate enough to have ever played an MIA PRS but I hear their quality is of a higher standardl; even though I can't possibly imagine how. The build seems pretty sturdy, the knobs are pretty nice and the pots smooth. I need to get used to getting to the pickup switcher as it's position is quite different from my old Ibanez. It's got a mahogany back with a maple top.

Tuners and pickups are PRS made, and I'm quite satisfied with both. People say the SE line has crappy pickups but I see no reason so far to replace them.

The pickups are kinda hotter then I'm used to though, so I find my pick attack and playing style changing accordingly.

Bridge is also a workhorse, on my first day I wanked out with the trem for hours (no pictures with it, sorry) and it only went slightly out of tune.

Playability-

She came setup with 9s and she's plays really really REALLY smooth. Action's perfect for me at least, although the shopowner did recommended I come over if I change gauges, just in case. PRS makes the necks on these guitars out of maple and the fretboards out of rosewood. It's a pretty easy transition from playing an Ibanez for me as the necks quite thin and comfortable. This model has 24 frets (as you can tell from the model name) unlike the other Custom 22. 25" scale.

Sound-

Well I haven't had much time to mess around but I've managed to get myself some real good sounds. I play through a MXR 6 Band EQ and a Digitech Bad Monkey into a Fender Blues Junior. I manage to get a pretty fine alternative rock/grunge churn ala Switchfoot, Incubus. This guitar really surprised me with its funk sound. It sounds really really clear and articulate clean, haven't really tested it's high gain abilities but will update when I do.

Well I guess thats it then! This thread can also serve as a place for anyone to ask questions about this guitar, I'll answer them all for sure.

dude nice guitar

your from india thats pretty sweet
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
i bought one of these a couple of days ago, but in red.

i second the TS, it's absolutely awesome. i normally play an american strat deluxe but this is equal or even better in terms of playability and tonal range.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by akack
but will get a hard one soon.

Mis-quoted fur lulz,

HOWEVER, Awesome guitar dude
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
nice. i think those things slay for what they cost.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 7, 2010,
well they are very nice guitars even for the new price. i dunno around you, but in the US tehy can ge had new in the 500-600s, and used in the 300-500 depending on condition.

and yes, for the money they are built VERY well.

however, they arent close to a USA one. ever been to a guitar center? SEs look great. 2 feet over the shrine of USA models puts them to shame. its like they have halos around them. astonishing guitars.

the GC i go to in South carolina has them all off in the corner and i would say out of the whole store they definitely stand out the most interns of looks compared to all otehr brands they cary....and also in price (which is why they are off on their own, generally up high where you cant get to them)

and yeah, nuts like that are so tight around the string that a higher gauge might crack it. they might need to file the slots, and make a slit truss adjustment.

i know cause i went from 10s to 10 heavy bottoms and the low E part of the nut cracked.
Last edited by ikey_ at Aug 7, 2010,
HNGD. Cool looking guitar.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

haven't seen that one before, very nice
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by ikey_
well they are very nice guitars even for the new price. i dunno around you, but in the US tehy can ge had new in the 500-600s, and used in the 300-500 depending on condition.

and yes, for the money they are built VERY well.

however, they arent close to a USA one. ever been to a guitar center? SEs look great. 2 feet over the shrine of USA models puts them to shame. its like they have halos around them. astonishing guitars.

the GC i go to in South carolina has them all off in the corner and i would say out of the whole store they definitely stand out the most interns of looks compared to all otehr brands they cary....and also in price (which is why they are off on their own, generally up high where you cant get to them)

and yeah, nuts like that are so tight around the string that a higher gauge might crack it. they might need to file the slots, and make a slit truss adjustment.

i know cause i went from 10s to 10 heavy bottoms and the low E part of the nut cracked.

Not to be a dick, but the TS lives in India...

anyways, HNGD bud of mine got the SE cu 22 a week ago, killer guitar for the buck.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Love the top!

HNGD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
dude i dunno. maybe they have guitar stores in india???? just giving him credit here.

what do you want me to say....well your country doesnt have anything so you wouldnt know? thats mean. plus, i have no idea about india. never been there.

actually i held a SE tremonti version yesturday. very nice guitars. i would like to own one. not in purple with antoher dudes name on it. just a regualr version.

definitley some of the best under 1000 guitar ive ever seen. would like to see a carved top though. the single cuts have one (sorta. more like contoured)
you got the red bag, nice as well. i have the grey one - i'm shallow and i prefer the red one.

you do know that there is a hook in the neck of the bag so you can hang it in a closet right? some people don't know that, it's pretty cool.

congrats again, very nice guitar.
nice!

enjoy it!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Congrats. The SE's are great guitars for the money, but yes they are no comparison to the USA models.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Congrats, man. I love the finish, great colour.
It's times like these I wish I wasn't left handed, those bastards at PRS spit on us lefties.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
HNGD!!! That's sexy

In real life, is it dark blue like in the pics or is it more brighter?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I wish they came in whale blue where I bought mine, they only had cherry sunburst. Which is a very nice finish don't get me wrong, but I'm a sucker for cold colors. Nice, HNGD =D
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
If the mid end guitars PRS produces are like this, if i saw the highest of all high end models, i'd probably need a change of pants
Quote by yellowv
Congrats. The SE's are great guitars for the money, but yes they are no comparison to the USA models.

What a nice thing to say... HNGD anyway's your can't do better at that price range.
SMILE!
Very nice looking guitar and nice colour choice. I bought an SE Paul Allender model recently and I love it. It's definitely above an beyond what I would expect to get with a guitar that costs less than 600 usd. Easily one of my favorites out of all of my guitars and I imagine the SE Custom is every bit as nice.
Quote by holycow
HNGD!!! That's sexy

Whale blue is a pretty dark blue, but does look a little brighter in sunlight or bright lighting. Here is a pic of my whale blue outside.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
What a nice thing to say... HNGD anyway's your can't do better at that price range.

I wasn't knocking his guitar at all. I have an SE and love it, but I also have two USA models and there really is no comparison.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by ikey_
baraga, this is for you. this is a custom made PRS. i dont know wat it cost, but its 3 digits and the first digit is more than 1 i can tell you that. im guessing 3000+ retail

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318540&highlight=PRS

go change your pants....

Try closer to $5,000. The blue one I pictured retailed for over $3000 and pales in comparison to that one.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Aug 9, 2010,
well i dont have the spec sheet i did say 3000+. i mean im not going to exaggerate. if you told me it was 8000 i wouldnt second guess it.

i just dont want to BS anybody here. its not my guitar.
So how much do the USA models cost in India? Just out of curiosity? And are made in china guitars cheaper?
Well there isn't a huge market for high-end guitars so there's only one/two shops in the city that stock them. no clue about the price but ill find out to satisfy your curiosity.

Quote by polishedbullet
Is that a set-neck or a bolt-on?

set.

Quote by holycow
HNGD!!! That's sexy

its a bit brighter, i shot that in low light. ill get a pic in bright light tomorrow.
hey nice guitar man...
i'm looking to buy the PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt but Bajaao says it won't be available for a few months, so i'll probably order it from wwbw.com

anyways, wanted to ask.. i hv an ibanez rg370dx... since u had an ibanez too, what's the difference in the tremolos of the ibanez and the prs???
is it almost identical?? does the prs trem float, making drop tuning a b*tch??
coz in my RG, whenever i drop tune, the tuning gets really messed up...
or, is the prs trem more like a vibrato??

cheers
Quote by ArSeNiK
hey nice guitar man...
i'm looking to buy the PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt but Bajaao says it won't be available for a few months, so i'll probably order it from wwbw.com

anyways, wanted to ask.. i hv an ibanez rg370dx... since u had an ibanez too, what's the difference in the tremolos of the ibanez and the prs???
is it almost identical?? does the prs trem float, making drop tuning a b*tch??
coz in my RG, whenever i drop tune, the tuning gets really messed up...
or, is the prs trem more like a vibrato??

cheers

The Ackerfeldt has been available for months. They are hard to come by, but there are around. The trem is FAR easier to deal with that a Floyd.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
The Ackerfeldt has been available for months. They are hard to come by, but there are around. The trem is FAR easier to deal with that a Floyd.

nobody in India stores them as of now.. hell, discontinued guitars are still sold everywhere, like the old Paul Allender SE and the SE Custom

so i figure i'll just get it shipped, n wbww.com seemed good enough
SB musicals..... Need to check them out now.

I've been to Furtados, Musicians mall, Bhargavas, and Shalu music until now.

Good price though. My friend bought a PRS custom for 40K. ($800)
Samick AV6
Yamaha RGX 121z
Zoom G2 Processor
Digitech RP 80
Marshall CD15
Roland cube 30x
Quote by Slashestranged
So how much do the USA models cost in India? Just out of curiosity? And are made in china guitars cheaper?

USA models in India are dearer by about Rs: 5000 - 10000 ($100 -200)

As for the China and Korea made guitars, they are pretty much same if not costlier. maybe $25-30 here and there
Samick AV6
Yamaha RGX 121z
Zoom G2 Processor
Digitech RP 80
Marshall CD15
Roland cube 30x
Page 1 of 2