I realize that a lot of folks lust for tube amps. I'm in that category too ... I currently own a Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I was wondering who makes some really good solid state heads. The obvious advantage being that you can play it really low and still have the full tone instead of cranking it like a tube amp. Just curious.
I just saw this amp the other day.(It's still a tube but lower volume) I haven't tried it yet but it is getting some decent reviews. It has 6v6's in it so you can keep the volume low and get great sounds, clean and crunch. Premier Guitar reviews it this month and gives some sound clips but would like to hear it live. If anyone has one let me know what you think about them.
Ibanez Tube Screamer Amp TSA15H

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Aug 7, 2010,
Ampeg VH140c, SS140c
Crate GX130c, GT3500H
Most of the Randall SS / hybrid heads
Peavey Vypyr, Bandit, Supreme
Line 6 Flextone, Vetta, HD147
Hughes and Kettner Zentera
Axe-FX
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by JackoMBA
I realize that a lot of folks lust for tube amps. I'm in that category too ... I currently own a Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I was wondering who makes some really good solid state heads. The obvious advantage being that you can play it really low and still have the full tone instead of cranking it like a tube amp. Just curious.

If you're looking at high gain heads, the distortion will be coming from the preamp, so you won't need to crank a tube amp to get the full tone either.

You should be able to get good tones at low volume with your Mark V. You may have to dial it in differently though. Might wanna ask some other Mark V owners for tips.

If you still really want an SS amp, others have made plenty of good suggestions.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
If you're looking at high gain heads, the distortion will be coming from the preamp, so you won't need to crank a tube amp to get the full tone either.

You should be able to get good tones at low volume with your Mark V. You may have to dial it in differently though. Might wanna ask some other Mark V owners for tips.

+1 on this.
If you're using it at low volumes, you'll want to dial in a little more bass and treble, we hear those frequencies less at lower volumes.
If you're still set on a new amp, I'd strongly suggest an AxeFX Ultra. Amazing bits of gear.
Quote by Raijouta
Ampeg VH140c

He beat me to it.

I have one of those and I really love it. I recently bought a Bugera 333xl but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop using my Ampeg by any means.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
I can still get great tones out of the Mark V at low volumes. I've never owned such a versatile amp. I ain't getting rid of it. You can actually set it a 10W which is great. It's one of the best low volume tube amps I've ever played. I was just wondering what solid states are out there. Those little Vypyrs looks pretty fun/neat. Thanks for the input guys.
If you're using heavy preamp distortion, I don't see why you'd need to crank a tube amp to get good tone.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by JackoMBA
Hey, I've been looking into the Vypyr Amps. I think Imma get me one.

The Vypyr Tubes are the best out of them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I've listened to the Ibanez TBX150H and I think it sounds rather..sexy. Doesn't take my attention off of that beautiful ENGL Fireball 100W, but personally it seems like a good alternative.
Quote by SadusAttack
I've listened to the Ibanez TBX150H and I think it sounds rather..sexy. Doesn't take my attention off of that beautiful ENGL Fireball 100W, but personally it seems like a good alternative.

The TBX is one of the Trifecta of Unbelievably Shit Amps, though: It goes Line 6 Spider, Marshall MG, Ibanez TBX, in no particular order.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
From what I know, the Randall Warhead is one of the best solid state heads for metal.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128
From what I know, the Randall Warhead is one of the best solid state heads for metal.

I've herd the same, though I've never herd one and just about never see them anywhere except occasionally on ebay.
As the owner of a Randall I can confirm that they make some great ss amps.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by JohnnyNash
I just saw this amp the other day.(It's still a tube but lower volume) I haven't tried it yet but it is getting some decent reviews. It has 6v6's in it so you can keep the volume low and get great sounds, clean and crunch. Premier Guitar reviews it this month and gives some sound clips but would like to hear it live. If anyone has one let me know what you think about them.
Ibanez Tube Screamer Amp TSA15H

That's not at all what he's asking for.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.