Heyy UG I own a Bugera 333 and play music in the vein on Parkway Drive/Architects/etc and basically a lot of stuff that involes "chugga". I was wondering if you would recommend it if I bought a boost pedal and would it tighten up the bottom end on my particular amp? Also, are there any very reasonably priced pedals you would recommend?
I read somewhere that someone was using a Behringer OD400 and they rated the sound quality similar to that of pedals that costs 5x as much, has anyone had any experience of this pedal, and would they recommend it?

Thanks.
Was hoping to keep it under the £60-70 mark, but would be willing to stretch that if a tubescreamer would make a lot more difference. Is it only the ts-9 that's good? What about the ts-7?
Haha. Sorry, i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing!
TS9 is great. Im my experience, I found the TS808 to work better at boosting my amp, however, the extra you pay for a TS808 over a TS9 is not really worth the difference in tone.

The TS7 is a great alternative to the more expensive Ibanez's if your on a budget. I'd reccomend getting that.
You should try some EQ or compressor pedals =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I Use a handmade Ts that can vary from ts808 to ts 9 .. but I get a lot of feedback when I do..
TS9 or a digitech bad monkey...
Bad Monkey for $40 or a Boss SD-1 for $50.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
you could try the tonerider american overdrive? i haven't tried it, but supposedly it's a true bypass ts9 (that's hearsay, but i have a couple of their other pedals and they're nice).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibenez TS7 is nice for the price. It's reported to use the exact same circuit as the TS9.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Quote by tronester
Ibenez TS7 is nice for the price. It's reported to use the exact same circuit as the TS9.
But the switch sucks. On the cheap, Bad Monkey and Boss SD-1 win.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Then don't use the switch... You still get a good TS9 clone.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Van Noord

Wire up a true bypass box for $10 if it's that big of a deal. The switch isn't that bad and when it eventually fails (like all switches will), replacements are easy to find and it's 2 joints to unsolder and 2 joints to put in a new one. Or you could just pick up a used one for $20.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If a tighter bottom end is what you're looking for than a Tubescreamer or TS clone would be good for you. They cut a bit of bass in the signal so this can be good. Especially when it's overwhelming your tone.

If you just want a gain boost, then a clean booster or something that doesn't cut the bass as noticably would be perfect.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mmolteratx
Wire up a true bypass box for $10 if it's that big of a deal. The switch isn't that bad and when it eventually fails (like all switches will), replacements are easy to find and it's 2 joints to unsolder and 2 joints to put in a new one. Or you could just pick up a used one for $20.
Or convert the pedal itself to true bypass. Anyway, I thought he meant the "boost" switch sucks, not the bypass.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Or convert the pedal itself to true bypass. Anyway, I thought he meant the "boost" switch sucks, not the bypass.

Converting the pedal is a bit trickier though as they'd have to know how to follow circuit traces to eliminate the electronic switching elements. The 'Hot' switch is a piece of crap but again, easily replaceable or removable and I can't see it getting much use if he just wants to tighten things up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Converting the pedal is a bit trickier though as they'd have to know how to follow circuit traces to eliminate the electronic switching elements. The 'Hot' switch is a piece of crap but again, easily replaceable or removable and I can't see it getting much use if he just wants to tighten things up.
I see. I guess it's probably a shitty flimsy PCB that lifts traces when you sneeze at it, too.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by mmolteratx

Mine is true bypass and has a better switch. The hot switch is dumb...but a TS9 circuit for $30 (including the parts to mod it)? Pretty good deal IMO It definitely beats the Bad Monkey I was using before...
Quote by Kanthras
I see. I guess it's probably a shitty flimsy PCB that lifts traces when you sneeze at it, too.

It's not as high quality as the ones in the 9 series but it's not the worst I've seen. Some care is definitely required when working with it though, just like any PCB.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i would just point out that the TS is in the UK... so what's good value in the US doesn't necessarily apply. I don't know how close the tonerider american overdrive is to the ts9, but i have it on good authority (from a tonehound I know on another forum, he's never steered me wrong before) that it sounds identical to a maxon od9. The dude has a maxon od9 as well.

And the tonerider one is £50 including postage, and it's already true bypass. I'm not too well up on ibanez prices here, but a quick look at dv247.com (that's normally the cheapest chain store here) suggests a TS7 is £40 (and that's without free postage). It's £37.50 on thomann, but then that's without free postage, unless you get other stuff to bring you up to 200 euro, you're talking 10 euro postage (about £8 at current exchange rates).

Is it really worth all that faffing about to save about £3?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just had and sold the TS7
for the record in my experience it has less detail and more overall white noise in the signal than my bad monkey

i tried to work with it, but even in a recording situation it wasn't defined in the mids enough.
im going to be one of those guys that doesnt recommend the TS7
most people that sat you should use it havent even owned it.
playing it at a guitar center is one thing, but take it home and play it on your amp that you know the tone inside and out.

the best cheap boost: bad monkey
the best best boost: maxon od808

imo of course.
Quote by surface54
i just had and sold the TS7
for the record in my experience it has less detail and more overall white noise in the signal than my bad monkey

i tried to work with it, but even in a recording situation it wasn't defined in the mids enough.
im going to be one of those guys that doesnt recommend the TS7
most people that sat you should use it havent even owned it.
playing it at a guitar center is one thing, but take it home and play it on your amp that you know the tone inside and out.

the best cheap boost: bad monkey
the best best boost: maxon od808

imo of course.

I've owned a TS7, vintage TS808, RI TS808, vintage TS9 and a RI TS9 and used the Maxon OD808 on numerous occasions. The reissues and Maxon all sound identical to the TS7 when used as a boost; not a single person could tell the difference when not looking. The original TS9 was the worst of the bunch; I should've tried it before I bought it but I made a nice profit on it. The vintage 808 was the nicest of the bunch but not worth the extra cost when a few mods will easily put a RI or TS7 firmly in that camp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT