So I just saw this New poly-chromatic tuner and saw videos and reviews of it and thought, WOW this is better than my tu-2. Do you guys agree? Anyone tested it out? Is it REAAAAALLY good like they said on reviews?
Last edited by PurpleHatchet at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by bogg808
You'd probably be better off getting a Sonic Research ST-200 Strobe Tuner if your after a very accurate tuner.

Hey I saw that one too. It is just like other tuners.
What do you like about the Polytune? I agree that it is better than the TU-2, but if you want the next step up, look into the SR Tuners.............
Well basically, I like polytune because you just strum your guitar once and it tells you which string is not in tune. now you can keep strumming until it is in tune. just lke a robot guitar, only, you will be the one to tune it. plus, you can aslo tune only one string at a time if you want. That's what I like about it. What do you think?
I've heard that polytune mode only works in standard tuning so if you use anything other than standard tuning polytune won't work.

The reason I would choose the Sonic research over the polytune is because the SR is accurate to +- 0.02 cents whereas the polytune is only accurate to +- 0.5 cents.

just my 0.02 cents..... /bad pun
Actually you can also tune it down half step, full step, and so on. BTW, what is this 'cents' you're talking about.
I've heard it dosn't polytune in Eb

A cent is 1/100th of a semitone. The SR is about 25 times more accurate. Quite a few people on a forum called The gear page have said that they sent back their polytunes, got a Sonic Research tuner and was wayy more satisfied with it.
Well here is my opinion, when you guitar is in tune to the human ear, does it really matter how many cents you're out? I think it is just right but I'm going to search that SR wait here
I searched that TT u said. I also think it is accurate. But I'm really not sure because I have not tested any of the two yet.
Sorry to bring back what might be an old thread. But the Polytune does every tuning from E standard to B Standard, and ALL in between.
Polytune Pros:
Polyphonic Tuning.
True Bypass.
Polytune Cons:
Doesn't act as a kill switch when turned on.

BOSS Pros;
Killswitch when turned on.
Some might like the display better.
Cons;
Not true bypass.
Chromatic (as opposed to Polyphonic).
Clunky BOSS pedal (Just me.. but i hate their design.)

The Polytune is more accurate than the BOSS TU-2 and the same accuracy as the BOSS TU-3.
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Oh and as of right now.
On ebay; BOSS - $110 AUD.
Polytune - $130 AUD.
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
I'm pretty sure people on here have tested the poly-tune and said it only does poly mode in standard tuning. It was in the pedalboard thread a while back. I'm pretty sure its +/- 1 cent and not 0.5

I would stay away from the boss tu-2. +/- 3 cents is too much, when you consider two strings could be off by as much as 6 cents...

The turbo tuner is fantastic. Easily one of the better/best tuner out there.

The TU3 is ok, +/- 1 cent, and is super sturdy. But while the GFS tuner can be had new for $40 and is just as accurate, that theres no way I would pay for a TU3
TC Electronics say otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwiRnFrWymY

I believe the 1 is referring to Polyphonic and the Chromatic is the 0.5.
Polyphonic has more to deal with and the up/down LEDs musn't have enough rows to give an extremely accurate reading. Where as Chromatic deals with one string and the left/right LEDs are more plentiful, allowing for more fine tuning.

Just my assumptions.
It seems like the Polytune would have to sacrifice some accuracy to be able to tune all of the strings at the same time.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I've had both the TU-2 and Polytune... and gave my TU-2 to my less fortunate bass guitarist. If you gig and play live a lot the polytune is nice for a quick tune on the fly in-between songs. Otherwise they are basically the same thing.

Oh, and BOTH tuners mute your signal when you activate the pedal.
Ok guys, here's how it works:
The Polytune will do tunings other than standard, but it will only do them in chromatic mode, so you lose the whole point of buying the thing, which is tuning all 6 at once. The interface for chromatic mode isn't very good either.

My 2 cents are, if you're tuning to standard on stage where you have to be real quick about it, get the Polytune. Strum once after every song, make an adjustment or two, and you're all set in five seconds. However, if you're recording or playing with a piano or other non-fretted instrument, the Polytune isn't quite accurate enough and the ST-200 is my choice.

Long story short, the only advantage to the Polytune is quickness. If you don't have to be lightning fast when tuning, get something else.

Extra bit about accuracy, in case you cared: A tuner is only as accurate as its interface allows for. The Polytune may be mechanically accurate to the same degree as the Boss, but I found that for two reasons it doesn't allow you to tune as accurately. The first is tracking; I'd sometimes have issues with the two E strings, and occasionally the B, which sucked. The second is the interface. The 6-string mode on the polytune just doesn't have the intuitive sensitivity that other tuners like a Strobostomp or the Turbo Tuner have. It's probably something one could get used to, but my larger point is that there's more to accuracy than just the number, and to me the Polytune fell short of its capabilities.
The Polytune is awesome. And seriously, your guitar most likely isn't accurate to within .5cent anyway.
For live gigging, the polytune it tops.
For studio recording, fine get something accurate to .01 if you must. But for live play, no one will know the difference...other than it takes you 6 times longer to tune.
For drop tuning, you can still hit the "standard" 5 and chromatically tune the last one.
For other tunings, no, it doesn't work in poly mode.

For tuning a guitar with a trem, this thing ROCKS
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 9, 2010,
Must wonder though, as stated, do we need it to be THAT accurate? If your ear is good enough, you'll hear when its sitting nicely on tune and just use the tuner as your guide.

But also, it is possible that there are brands who are simply superior to BOSS.

These are all my opinions. I'm still deciding which tuner to buy (I'll admit though, I'm leaning towards the Polytune purely for the Polyphonic setting which would speed up tuning immensely)
It depends on what you're using it for. There is a difference, but it's small. It's probably not going to bother you unless you have a sensitive ear, or play with a piano, or want a really spot-on studio recording. If not, then yes, you can get away with +/- 1 cent. Intonation really should be done with something as accurate as possible, but that just means using the chromatic setting on the Poly.

Keep in mind that being out of tune is additive, so +/- 1 cent means you could be +1 on one string and -1 on the other, which can sound out of tune. I should also note that even if it doesn't sound like you're out of tune, a more closely tuned guitar will ring a bit better. It's not a huge difference and you shouldn't just go out and buy an expensive tuner to get it, but you will notice it if you've got one.
I think for 99% of us, +/- 1 cent is pretty good. You can find tuners accurate to +/- .1 cent, but does it really do YOU any good?
Even a properly intonated guitar will be "out of tune" by more than .1 cent on most every fret other than the 12th.
When you pluck a note, it starts higher, and goes lower...where are YOU tuning? the instant you pluck? a second into the decay?Do all your strings decay at the exact same rate? How much pressure are you putting on the frets? hope it's IDENTICAL for each note you play...otherwise, your just spending extra time getting your .1 cent tuners "in the green".

YES, there are some that will benefit from a super accurate tuner...but not many.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
i'm going with the boss tu3 being the better tuner. tu3 is supposed to be +/- 1 cent compared to the old tu2.

though, they could be a company to watch for something better in the future, but since its the first product like its kind, i think it's going to have some bugs here and there until the 3rd or 4th remake.