Do you think someone would hear the difference in a live between a good epiphone and a gibson? also what about a modded squier and a fender
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
Even in an empty room, most non-guitarists can't tell the difference. However, that doesn't mean you should inflict yourself with crap gear. You should use the most comfortable guitar you can afford, not to mention you don't want to buy a pile of plywood junk that falls to pieces after a few months.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Depends, a good player can make up for a bad guitar. So can a good amp. Tone is also subjective. Someone who has been playing for a long time may be able to hear the difference in wood/pickups used. But someone with that experience will know that good gear doesn't come easy.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Why do you care? If they sound good, then you should be proud of what you have.

Also, generally it works like this: the average person won't notice, but a guitarist/musician will.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've heard live tone that would make babies cry but everyone who isn't a guitarist has no idea.

When I say no idea though I mean they don't say "wow that guy has terrible tone" they think "wow this band sounds like shit for some reason". Tone is still incredibly important

EDIT: so to relate that back to your original question a little better, epiphone vs gibson isn't gonna matter as long as you've got either dialed in right. Even bad amps can sound decent in a live situation if you can eq them well which I'll admit can be quite tough, especially at bigger gigs where what you're hearing could be different to what the audience is hearing
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Aug 7, 2010,
yeah i totally agree that it might not matter, but on the side note it may make a big difference on studio recordings though, and yeah i agree on the amps too a really good amp may improve the sound of an epiphone or squier
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Last edited by ronkun at Aug 7, 2010,
Yeah, but that's a completely different thing. It'll be a lot easier to hear differences in guitars in a silent room than it will be at a show. Not to mention the precision of any reputable recording engineers/equipment will definitely bring out the differences in your guitars.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well, some gibsons definitely have better woods etc. some gibsons you could look at and just know....cause no epi is that good.

a regular old color or paint job, nope.
it's worth it in the long run to save for the gibson over buying an epiphone. you'll outgrow it eventually.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by AcousticMirror
stage gear =! recording gear =! practice gear.

end/thread.

I disagree with stage gear not being the same as practice gear. I think it's way better if you use the same stuff for both. Even with recording, if you can pull it off.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Why do you care? If they sound good, then you should be proud of what you have.

Also, generally it works like this: the average person won't notice, but a guitarist/musician will.

a billion plus ones for ya laddie
Non-musicians often can't tell the difference between a guitar and a bass, so the majority of the audience isn't going to notice the difference unless you sound like hot buttered ass.

But it's not for them, is it? The ladies in the audience wouldn't notice if you replaced the men's room urinals with plates of fresh baked yams, but to the who people care, it makes all the difference in the world what you're using.
Don't you think that if you notice, it will affect your playing and make it noticeable for everyone else ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
haha yeah if im not happy with the sound then its probably gonna make the sound worse
Rick_Diculous wrote:

On the Epi VS Gibson argument:

Does it matter? I could've sworn Epiphone owners just pretend they have Gibsons anyways.

But in truth, only guitarists would be able to tell the sound difference. Everyone else will probably just be like ZOMG BR00TALZ
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

scratch the word epiphone off and claim its a gibson and say the name just got faded cause of your awesome playing haha
Rick_Diculous wrote:

who cares when your rocking out in in crowded concert, and if you having fun playing it on stage and are fine with how it fells and you have a good amp then you'll be sweet
I use both my squier and my epi live and people go like "OMGZZZZ, MODZ KINGZ????" Cuz its the things which the sound comes out of that matters (amp and a good PA, etc etc etc????) the most, not the guitar, of course after that just get a confy guitar to your liking and play the FK out of it hehehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Im sure there wouldnt be to much of a difference. I can definatly hear a difference between my LP faded studio and my budys Epi Standard though.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I would be annoyed up on stage if I had some crappy tone. It wouldn't matter what anyone in the audience thinks about it.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Some people will. I think if slash changed his current guitar to an epi almost everybody would notice.
Quote by Roc8995
Non-musicians often can't tell the difference between a guitar and a bass, so the majority of the audience isn't going to notice the difference unless you sound like hot buttered ass.

But it's not for them, is it? The ladies in the audience wouldn't notice if you replaced the men's room urinals with plates of fresh baked yams, but to the who people care, it makes all the difference in the world what you're using.

Hot Buttered Ass? I think my friend has that pedal ...
<<<
It makes a difference in some ways, but typically non-guitarists in the audience can't attribute what they hear to the correct causes. The obvious example of this phenomenon is that most non-guitarists, when you use a wah, will think you are "playing" those sounds. No joke.

The same issues arise with high vs. low quality guitars on stage. If a guitar has noisy electronics that are picking up everything from hum off the lights to AM radio, the audience will notice. They won't necessarily attribute it to a guitar with bad shielding or pickups, but they will notice. Similarly, if a guitar is hard to play due to crappy frets, the audience will notice that the guitarist is having difficulty playing well, but they're more likely to attribute it to the guitarist sucking than to bad fretwork.

So if it plays well and sounds good, use whatever you want. Just realize that there's a reason professional musicians consistently use high quality instruments.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.