Hey guys,

I kinda fancy myself as a digital artist and I've just started a band with a few of my mates. We're playing stuff in the style of We Came As Romans, Enter Shikari etc. One thing I really love about this genre is the artwork like this:

But I don't know where I can get stock images like those to work with. Or, do I have to draw it all myself? Which would be a bummer because I really suck at drawing, I prefer to edit and manipulate images into what I want. If anyone knows you'd be such a big help. I dunno, I could offer artwork for your band as compensation for your time

Thanks guys.
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 7, 2010,
You probably have to draw it yourself...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Woah, meant to write bummer, edited now. But damn, I'm guessing there aren't people that do this for free? Btw, 100%guitarmad, I live in Hertford. I've never heard of Rickmansworth though...
You could surely find someone at a local college or art school that would be willing to help.
You'll need to have you have the expressed consent of the creator of the artwork you plan to work with and use or you won't be legally allowed to use it, unless of course you edit it to the extent that it is no longer recognisable as the original artwork (but then what's the point of using the artwork in the first place right?). You'd have to tell the creator of the art work the full extent of your intentions with their artwork as well. Basically, if you have the owner's permission to use the image then go ahead.
Last edited by 2MoreWeeks at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by willT08
Woah, meant to write bummer, edited now. But damn, I'm guessing there aren't people that do this for free? Btw, 100%guitarmad, I live in Hertford. I've never heard of Rickmansworth though...

That would be accurate.
This is why it's a good idea for musicians to make friends with artists - any kind of artist. Hell, some of the best artwork I ever got for a band was from a tattoo artist.
Quote by willT08

It's next to Watford

And going to art schools is a good idea.
http://www.sxc.hu/
http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

stock photo sites like these can have some pretty random stuff - lol. but the content is all free - for the most part i believe..

I would scour every tattoo / Asian / Indian / art link possible for inspiration.

then, try - draw your interpretation of what inspired you... that way you OWN it... it's legally 100% yours.

art doesn't have to be a bowl of fruit to be art - ya know?
tim burton art

Also check out the artist Robert Williams work - and check out artists "inspired" by him -
his picture was in GnR's album - the picture is titled " Appetite for Destruction"

also, look at post-modern/punk/psychedelic art -

it's not as daunting a task as some think to get an artists permission to use their art for your album - but the level of hassle is in direct proportion to the artists market value...

also get a digital camera and start taking pics of every thing. from a cigarrette butt on the ground to ... whatever - esp. in B/W -

You're an artist - explore different mediums...you may find some incredible images you and your band mates can be proud of to use on your album(s)
Last edited by StevieRayHalen at Aug 7, 2010,
yeah, artists from local collages (see if any of your friends/classmates are willing to give it a shot) are always looking for stuff like this to do. There are some t-shirt companies that if you tell them the idea of what you want, they'll draw and design it for you. But you're going to have to pay more for that.

I got one of my friends to do it for me every time. One time its a guy who's going to be a tattoo artist. Two times it was a girl who's in university studying art.
For something like this, I imagine you'd want something kind of specific. You could scour stock photo sites for some royalty free vector work, but it probably wouldn't be what you want. I'd recommend drawing it, scanning it, then live tracing it in Illustrator. I've done that a few times, that's a good way to get something with a hand-drawn look to it digitally. And if you can't draw it, I'm sure you could get someone to do it for you for a small fee, maybe even lunch and a free shirt.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Aug 7, 2010,
Well guys. The keyboardist in my band is a bit of an artist so we decided to try and draw up something easy for our first try. This is what we got: