Ok so at the moment I have an Ibanez GIO and a 10W Practice amp. The guitar is actually ok so I've decided to next invest in a proper amp, something which will be decent enough for hopefully gigging in the near future. I play mainly metal and hard rock so I'm also wanting to get some effects thrown in the mix as well.
Anyone got any pointers on amp size, make, model etc.? I played a Line-6 SpiderIV 75W and it seemed pretty badass but I guess I don't have much to compare it to. With the pedalboard, the combo came to £300 ($475) which is about the amount I'm looking to pay. Is this combo a good choice? They also had 100W and 150W in stock but I'm not sure if they'd be worth the extra money....
line 6 spider... Yuck...

If you know the genres you play and you want to get a great sound, get a good amp head, maybe a pedal, and speakers. Combo amps just can't compare. This gets pretty expensive, though.

For metal and hard rock, you can't go wrong with Marshall.
^To put it simply, you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote by felixius4
Ok so at the moment I have an Ibanez GIO and a 10W Practice amp. The guitar is actually ok so I've decided to next invest in a proper amp, something which will be decent enough for hopefully gigging in the near future. I play mainly metal and hard rock so I'm also wanting to get some effects thrown in the mix as well.
Anyone got any pointers on amp size, make, model etc.? I played a Line-6 SpiderIV 75W and it seemed pretty badass but I guess I don't have much to compare it to. With the pedalboard, the combo came to £300 ($475) which is about the amount I'm looking to pay. Is this combo a good choice? They also had 100W and 150W in stock but I'm not sure if they'd be worth the extra money....

Not really worth it, no. The Spider 100 and 150 are oversized beginner amps. They may be better than the Toneblaster from your GIO set, but they're bad compared to other stuff in their price range.

What types of metal do you play? If you frequently play modern metal like death or grindcore, looking for a Line6 Flextone III is a good idea. They were recently discontinued but some places still stock them, there's also plenty available on the used market.

If you play more '80s stuff or metal that does not require too much gain, you're in the market for a tube amp in this price range. But which would suit you depends largely on what tones are most important to you. Name some bands which you like the sounds of the most. Tube amps that do modern stuff well are worth it, but are a bit dearer than 300 quid.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 7, 2010,
I actually have the same guitar as you gax10 I believe I have the sgish looking one, but ive played the strat looking one. solid choices for beginner guitars.

anyways. I would avoid the spider, and I think the majority of the community hear agrees with me, they have a very digital sound to them. I would recommend getting a no frills solid state amp. I'm very happy wiht my peavey bandit 112, 80w and 100w into an expansion cab, plenty of volume for jamming and decent distortion with the tube simulation.

then get a multieffects pedal, or build your pedal collection. I would definitely recommend trying to buy used to, you can get the bandit 112 for around 120 on craigslist.

but it is about your needs a lot too. you've gotta consider your practice space, practice volume etc. you wouldnt wanna spend hundreds of dollars on loud amp you cant use because of your crabby neighbor
I guess I'm mainly into thrash and groove metal. Pantera, Metallica, Cancer Bats are some of my favourites. Don't like modern deathcore or that kind of stuff. Yeah I think lower gain sounds are more kind of thing. I like a good crunch rather than wall of noise kind of thing
Quote by somekid413
anyways. I would avoid the spider, and I think the majority of the community hear agrees with me
I bet you are agreeing with the majority.
Quote by Fenderboy17
marshall mg yuck

try a peavy vyper

He's in the UK. A Peavey might be prohibitively expensive compared to more local options.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
He's in the UK. A Peavey might be prohibitively expensive compared to more local options.

Yah. Though A Classic 30 might be available for that money used.

TS, for what you want to do, there's a variety of options. The biggest problem in this price range is that there's good tube amps available, but they often don't have enough gain on tap for heavier music. The great thing about tube amps though is that they generally can be boosted to achieve heavier tones by using an overdrive/booster pedal (simple, sufficient models can be found for 50€, sometimes even less). If the amp has to be new, I think of:

Blackstar HT5 Combo:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm
It does have enough gain on tap for a good crunch and sounds nice, but it's a tiny bit dear. Still worth it in my eyes.

Laney Cub12R:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub12r.htm
I'm judging by clips of this, as I have not played it personally. I have played it's little brohers though and liked them. Listening to clips of it it can produce a nice distorted tone with a very classic feel to it. It also has a 12" speaker and 15w of power (enough for band use when talking about tube amps), which is noteworthy for an amp under 300 quid. I think this one would work well for you, though heavy rhythm playing might need a boost.

Laney LC15R:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_lc15110.htm
I have used this for a while. It's a seriously nice amp with 15w of power and a 10" speaker. All around nice and with plenty of gain. It does quite a range of tones.

Laney VC15R:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_vc15_110n.htm
Smoother, darker tone than the LC15, less versatile, but with arguably better tone. Very dark for a 15w amp with a 10" speaker. Will definitely need a boost to get heavy tones, but does anything up to hard rock very well on it's own.

Bugera V22 and V55:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v55.htm
One of Bugeras nicer models. Classic fat rock distortion. Sounds good.

If you can go used, these amps are available in Britain for good prices on the used market and will work for you great I think:

Marshall DSL401, Laney LC30, possibly a Peavey Classic 30. These would all work well for what you do without a boost and finding one of them for 300 quid or less should be no problem.

EDIT: If you can save up a bit more, you can get a Jet City 20w combo for 390 quid and it's aimed pretty much exactly at the tones you described:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_112rc.htm
Sadly, they are hardly available on the used market yet.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 7, 2010,
I'd see if you can try a Blackstar ht-5 somewhere, especially the head. I bought the whole mini stack thing and, even tho the speaker cabs are crap (apparently) it sounds great! I can get loads of different sounds out of it especially stuff like Metallica and Pantera. It also likes Iron maiden
Quote by UKMaster
I'd see if you can try a Blackstar ht-5 somewhere, especially the head. I bought the whole mini stack thing and, even tho the speaker cabs are crap (apparently) it sounds great! I can get loads of different sounds out of it especially stuff like Metallica and Pantera. It also likes Iron maiden

You can get Pantera out of a HT-5, with just the EQ?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209