Page 1 of 2
So i bought an electric guitar at guitar center last week, and its my first time buying my own guitar. i bought a fender strat. but the guy just took the one off of the display wall and sold me that one. i asked him if he was supposed to do that and he said that they keep their guitars well maintained and everything. but is he really supposed to do that? cause then other people have played it and the strings are used and idk what could have been done to it. it looks good and everything but just making sure.
I personally wouldn't want to pay full price for a display model, because even if it's in nice condition, it has been played (other than buy the technician setting it up). The three guitars I've bought have been used, but if I were to pay retail price I would want a brand spankin' new guitar. If the reasoning was that the display model was their last of that guitar in stock, then I would just wait for the next shipment.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 7, 2010,
ehh i bought my sg as a display model but this guitar felt perfect so i said what the hell ill take it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
My 32" HD TV was on the display. TV's aren't really something you should buy new, anyways i got it for $300 less than the new price.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
if that's the guitar you liked why wouldn't you want the display model. That's the guitar you liked.

The one in the back in the box could be a whole different creature in feel, sound, and quality.

Every guitar has been "used" that you will by, obviously for setup. Has it had an owner yet is what makes it "new" or "used" technically.

edit: Always get a 10% discount from the guitar center, no matter what you buy. The coupons are just floating around on the website, or in the store.

It's pretty mandatory to make sure you get that 10%.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 7, 2010,
I like to try the display models, and if I liked THAT one, I wouldn't take another guitar, even if its brand new.
How much did you pay for it? display models tend to be cheaper than guitars in their box.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
if that's the guitar you liked why wouldn't you want the display model. That's the guitar you liked.

The one in the back in the box could be a whole different creature in feel, sound, and quality.

Every guitar has been "used" that you will by, obviously for setup. Has it had an owner yet is what makes it "new" or "used" technically.

edit: Always get a 10% discount from the guitar center, no matter what you buy. The coupons are just floating around on the website, or in the store.

It's pretty mandatory to make sure you get that 10%.

yeah i guess you are right, i just don't want to get jipped.

and i looked at that 10% coupon but it said fender wasn't participating in it.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
My 32" HD TV was on the display. TV's aren't really something you should buy new, anyways i got it for $300 less than the new price.

WHAT ???????
Never ever EVER EVER pay full price for a display model. Would you pay full price for a brand new TV that hundreds of people had their greasy fingers all over?

If you got it for a discount, then fine, not much really happens to display models. Normally people don't let kids touch them, but you never know...
Quote by patrickodang
and i looked at that 10% coupon but it said fender wasn't participating in it.

Yeah, but you know what, I've always said "Oh well I thought this coupon would work, and that's what my budget was accounting for, sorry, I guess I'll have to pass".

Bam they do it right away to get the sale.

Anyways, now that you bought it you MAY have some trouble getting the 10%, but it's worth a shot to walk in there and just give him the coupon number so he can add it to the receipt and see if it works, I'm pretty sure it will. Don't show him the coupon, just give him the coupon number or bar code and have him ring it in. Usually the computer doesn't care.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Actually just call and give him the coupon number over the phone and have him add it to your receipt. I bet they will refund it back to your debit card if that's how you paid. I'm almost positive the computer will allow the coupon to go through. don't worry about the "fender not participating", look at how many brands are listed. I used the 10% to buy my USA strat and it said that!
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
what is with everyone and tvs!?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Speaking of TVs..

I bought mine new anyways.

But for the matter at hand, I always buy my guitars right off the shelf.

I pick one, try it out..Test it with the amp of my choice, and let er flow, mang. They take the one off the shelf, although, it does give you reason to haggle.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Actually just call and give him the coupon number over the phone and have him add it to your receipt. I bet they will refund it back to your debit card if that's how you paid. I'm almost positive the computer will allow the coupon to go through. don't worry about the "fender not participating", look at how many brands are listed. I used the 10% to buy my USA strat and it said that!

yeah i might try that, cause i havn't even paid for it yet. im financing the guitar just to start building up my credit, so yeah ill have to try calling them
Guitars don't have hymens.

There's nothing wrong with buying a display model that a few other people have played.
Guess what? By the time the guitar gets from the factory to the warehouse to the vendor’s warehouse to the store the strings are shot anyway. Just be happy that you had the option of trying the guitar out before you bought it.
the thing is a guitar is not like a tv, a lot can differ between two guitars. I've bought three and each time i've gone with the one i played on display. Firstly i know more time has been spent setting a display model up and if you go for the boxed one you could get it home,plug it in at find it's a dud. I suppose i should have asked for a free set of strings tho. Anyway, the price 'road worn' guitars are going for new, your lucky he didn't charge you more.
yes buy the guitar that you actually get to play. if you don't like that one then find another one to try. guitars aren't vcrs. no too are the same. wait wtf is a vcr.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I love how someone in this thread is under the impression that people finger all the tvs when tv shopping when generally they just look.
But Guitars are different. Very Different two guitars of the exact same model can differ so i tend to want to buy the guitar i tried out.
I generally order online because it's cheaper. The scariest thing I've ever done as far as buying guitars goes is when I clicked the "confirm order" button while buying my ESP. You never know how one is going to feel, sound, look or anything else if you haven't played it. Of course mine turned out to be pure gold.

There are so many intangibles when buying a guitar. If your judgement of the instrument is based on the display model, then buy the display model. I've played three different LTD H-401s and they were all killer. I'd order any LTD or ESP product 400 series and up online. On the other hand, I've played countless Fender American Strats. Some were stunning, others were absolute duds. Buying a Fender, Jackson or Charvel product, I'd go to the store (or the classifieds) and try the specific guitar I was considering buying.
If you're buying at a gutar shop, then chances are you're going to end up with a guitar that's been played. I've never heard or seen an instance where somebody tries out a guitar in a shop decides to buy and dosen't walk out with the exact guitar he tried out. Buying a musical instrument isn't like buying electronics or furniture. There are no "Display" models.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Most guitar shops I go in are totally anal about not letting anyone under the age of 18 play anything and even then they've got their eyes on you so you cant do anything, so I'm fine with buying display models because I know its fine.
SMILE!
If I bought a guitar at the store and I didn't get the one on the shelf that I had played, I would turn around and walk out the store. Never accept a guitar you've not played. Buying the display guitar that you've played is always, always better than buying one that's been sat in the shop's store room.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If I bought a guitar at the store and I didn't get the one on the shelf that I had played, I would turn around and walk out the store. Never accept a guitar you've not played. Buying the display guitar that you've played is always, always better than buying one that's been sat in the shop's store room.

this.

I don't even bother going into shops where they have a "display model" and then a storage space for the guitars they sell you. When i buy a guitar, i want that guitar that i've tried - not a different one. This is something i've always insisted on, before i even knew why
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Why would you find a guitar on the wall that you absolutely loved, then bought a different guitar?

This whole thread doesn't make sense to me. I would right out refuse to purchase the guitar that I didn't personally play.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Guitars on the wall of a guitar store are NEW. Unless they have had any damage I don't see why you guys think they should discount them. If it is mint and it plays great why the hell wouldn't you buy it? This is like saying new cars on a lot aren't new because they have been test driven.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Guitars on the wall of a guitar store are NEW. Unless they have had any damage I don't see why you guys think they should discount them. If it is mint and it plays great why the hell wouldn't you buy it? This is like saying new cars on a lot aren't new because they have been test driven.

If you knew that some 13 year old did burnouts and keyed the hood of your "new" car, you probably wouldn't buy it.

Not saying that ALL display models are treated like garbage, but it's a lot more likely to find a used-looking guitar on display than a totally mint one. I personally wouldn't buy an expensive piece of equipment like a Mesa amp or PRS guitar from somewhere like Guitar Center just because it's more likely it hasn't been looked after and cared for. I see kids dropping and dinging up guitars at my local GC all the time so it really makes me hesitant.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
most guitars in a shop are slightly used. i mean do you buy a guitar in a box with the wrapping on it?

even if its new, its been fondled, set up by teh shop, has some jack*ss kid test it. all guitars have been messed with unless teh shop owners doesnt allow you to touch it. now if its the test model thats one thing. if i ask to test an amp and teh guy hands me a 1000 strat....chances are its a used 1000 dollar strat (i took that as a compliment that he haded me a 1000 dollar guitar to test with).

another example - saw 2 prs SEs. 1 was a standard single cut, 2nd was a mark tremonti signature. retail what between 500-700 for those? 400. the PRS factory is 20 minutes from me, and new employees get SEs. they didnt want them and sold them. so they were "employee guitars" my shop was selling them for 400.

aparently, if you work for PRS for 1 year + you get a free USA PRS. i think if you work there longer you get a Custom PRS. so....they didnt want the SE models. they wanted the good stuff.
I bought my SG as a display model, and I say it's for the better. Some shops don't inspect their warehouse/backroom models. My ML(which I got shipped in from a warehouse since I got it while on vacation on the other side of the country and shipping was free) came with the switch and the bridge pickup not soldered in, and the intonation/action was set up terribly. =/
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
i have 3 guitars, one i built and one 2 i bought, when i baught my fender acoustic from Guitar center it was the one on the wall, and i wouldn't have wanted it any other way it's a new guitar because it hasn't gone home with anyone, and i got to play it, so i knew how it felt, i wouldn't want one from a box.... the guy sold me a case for it, and replaced the strings with new ones. so thats all good. but my ibanez was used and i got it from music go round and knew it was used, so it was ok. i mean when i walk into GC i see all these guitars on the wall, it's so you can check 'em out and play them so you know exactly what your getting.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
My PRS is a display model. The employee politely pointed out that fact (they didn't have a boxed one anymore, else I would have gotten that) and added a whooping €10,- discount on a €649,- guitar. We did go over it together though to make sure it wasn't in any way damaged, so it's basically a new guitar anyway. And well played in from store usage I guess
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Have I been getting ripped off then? Every guitar iv ever bought at GC comes off the wall. I do always ask if they have one new and in the box, but they always tell me what I see is what they have.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
Have I been getting ripped off then? Every guitar iv ever bought at GC comes off the wall. I do always ask if they have one new and in the box, but they always tell me what I see is what they have.

Have a long, hard look at the guitar. If you like how it plays and feels, then that's great. If there IS something physically wrong with it (dents/dings/scratches, etc.) then point it out when you try to buy it and you may be able to knock some money off the price. Remember though that nobody's forcing you to buy the display model at the "brand new" retail price anyway. Walk away if you aren't completely happy.

I do agree with what other people are saying though - all guitars are different, so even if there WAS a boxed one in the back, it probably wouldn't feel or play the same way as the display model.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by DrNick
Have a long, hard look at the guitar. If you like how it plays and feels, then that's great. If there IS something physically wrong with it (dents/dings/scratches, etc.) then point it out when you try to buy it and you may be able to knock some money off the price. Remember though that nobody's forcing you to buy the display model at the "brand new" retail price anyway. Walk away if you aren't completely happy.

I do agree with what other people are saying though - all guitars are different, so even if there WAS a boxed one in the back, it probably wouldn't feel or play the same way as the display model.

Iv been happy with them. I defiantly look them over, but I feel better about getting something new in the box. Maybe its just a mental thing.
They do clean them up pretty well and they've all been in brand new shape. Still no guitar is setup out of the box so its hard to say what your going to like and not like while your in the store.

I don't get why they don't set up all guitars if there going to put them on display. I would think they'd sell more.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Page 1 of 2