Hi guys, I have some questions for some guitars and amps that ive been looking at and i need some help.

My gear is: digitech rp500 pedal, yamaha pacifica, roland cube 20x. I play mostly green day, sum 41, breaking benjamin and nickelback.

1. Should I get an amp or a guitar first? My budget is 550 CAD before tax

2. If I get an amp what would be a good one to choose for me to get a good tone for what im playing?

3. If I get a new guitar, would the prophecy SG or telecaster be a good choice?

4. Whats the difference between the prophecy EX and the GX? which one would be more suited for me?

5. Is it fine to have a gig bag instead of a case, if you don't travel with it alot?

6. What are some good songs to test a guitar with?

7. How do you know if a finish is good and how do you know if some pick ups are good?

8. How do you know when new guitars are about to come out?

I know these are alot of questions, but if you can answer a few, that would be good.

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by corrupt_freedom at Aug 7, 2010,
1. Amp
2. Find out what gear those bands use, and try to find something cheaper in that product line, alternatively something from the same company. You'd be best off getting a tube amp.
3. Stop thinking about getting a new guitar until you've got a good amp.
4. The GX has Gibson pickups, the EX has EMGs, I'd say the GX would be more suited for your style.
5. If it's padded alright and you're not the clumsiest mother****er in the world, then yes it is fine to have a gig bag.
6. wut
7. You know the pickups are good if they aren't stock (ie Ibanez pickups on an Ibanez, Jackson pickups on a Jackson etc), well, usually. You should seriously try reading about pickups instead of asking this.
8. Why does that matter? And what do you mean? A whole new model?
Last edited by Ascendant at Aug 7, 2010,
hmm i noticed that most of those bands played modified marshalls... so what type of marshalls are good for my budget?

Edit: is the peavey valveKing 112 any good?
Last edited by corrupt_freedom at Aug 7, 2010,
1. You've got a decent setup there; Rolands and Yamahas are decent bang for your buck. If I were you, I'd give in to temptation and get a new guitar. I can't help myself.

2. Depends on your budget. Don't get a better amp unless it's a tube amp.

3. Telecasters are unbreakable and their look/style carries through multiple genres. Get one of those.

4. Not a clue, don't get the SG.

5. IMO, guitar cases are heavy and are too much hassle unless you're carrying an expensive piece of kit around. Get a gig bag. They're cheaper, too.

6. Just test the guitar by playing what you'd usually play. Mess around, noodle, just check if you're comfortable playing it.

7. Finish? Check for blemishes. Pickups? Play the guitar yourself in a shop, you'll be able to tell if they're up to scratch and suit your style.

8. Check out the photos from NAMM festivals for upcoming guitars the next year.
Quote by corrupt_freedom
hmm i noticed that most of those bands played modified marshalls... so what type of marshalls are good for my budget?

Edit: is the peavey valveKing 112 any good?

There are lots of JCM900's on ebay for around 500$, might want to try out one of those.

And yes, the valveking is good, but I don't really like it very much, it has a very generic tone in my opinion, but you might like it.
1. amp

2. some kind of marshall. look at jet city, it's designed be soldano but they are one epic piece of win.

3. both are good, but for you, an sg would give that kind tone in breaking benjamin/nickleback.

4. GX

5. it really depends on the environment, if its going to get banged up, hardshell, if its the casual move around, gig bag.

6. what ever you play

7. it's really about opinion. but if ur referring to the quality on the finish, just look for little imperfections. as far as pups go, its opinion.

8. look on the brands's website maybe, pay attention to NAMM
Overdrive,it's a pedal to boost.
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
Quote by corrupt_freedom
o do I have to worry about that if I have an RP500?

ehhh, im not a big multi effects guy, but if i were you, i would get like a ibanez tube screamer, or a fulltone ocd, or maybe a Hardwire CM-2 (although i haven't tried it, i hear it's good) but yea that's just my recommendations.

maybe the RP500 is good enough but i would say get a pedal.

also, i heard the eectro-harmonix xo germanium od was decent too.
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by jimihendrix6699
ehhh, im not a big multi effects guy, but if i were you, i would get like a ibanez tube screamer, or a fulltone ocd, or maybe a Hardwire CM-2 (although i haven't tried it, i hear it's good) but yea that's just my recommendations.

Those are all overpriced and unnecessary, get the SD-1, or if you must have an Ibanez, get the TS-7 it's exactly the same interior as the TS-9 for a fraction of the price.