Okay, inspired by the recent "Things parents say that make you cringe" thread, and the fact that I've had friends that have described to me their feelings on this situation, I pose you a question.

(I don't want to come off as arrogant, but I'm 15. Bare with me. )

I feel that most parents have a superiority complex. Perfectly understandable. I mean, they are the leaders of the household.

However, do you feel, personally, and not from a view other than your own, that parents have the right to "parental infallibility"? I mean, everyone is human. And humans, whether parents or not, can make mistakes. No one is perfect. However, if one person, in this case the child, goes about explaining to them in the nicest way possible that they are wrong about a situation, do the parents have the right to go into rage mode? I've been over a few friends' houses and seen this happen a LOT. Honestly, I think it's stupid. I think parents should be able to admit to their kids when they are wrong and not be on such a massive power trip 24/7 like I see so often. What about you, Pit? What do you think?

TL;DR: Do parents have the right to parental infallibility, regardless of the situation?
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Aug 7, 2010,
Definitely not. Some things they should trust their kids on but to be quite honest if I was in their position I'd be worried too.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
course not. I frequently tell my parents they're wrong. When they are, they grudgingly admit it. When I'm actually wrong, they go on a power trip. authoritarian parents are great, aren't they?
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
In my house, in case anyone was making assumptions from the OP, I try to explain to my parents, in a calm and collected manner, that they are wrong, and I explain to them how they are. However, they usually NEVER admit it. I'm usually always made out to be the bad guy, I get yelled at for being a smart ass, etc. But I get the satisfaction that they know I'm right, so I guess it's okay.

Again, not trying to sound arrogant. I'm just explaining exactly how it happens in the most unbiased way possible.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
No, my dad thought he was like that. Now he's in the hospital in a coma which he most likely is not making it out, because he was too damn proud to listen to me saying that the booze was going to kill em.

So hell no, they're just as stupid as us
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I rebelled against parental authority. I saw myself as being on equal footing with my parents.
I'm not a fan of ageism.

I figured that adults willfully neglected to remember how life was like when they were children. sure, there's this period of no responsibility, not having to pay bills or provide basic necessities, but that's mainly due to an inability to do so. I don't think it's a fair way of thinking, that as the breadwinner it's okay to lord it over your dependents. after all, having a kid sort of indicates that you're willing to financially support them for 18 or so years.

I'm sure I'll be the same way, though, if I had kids. forget about my childhood, that is. forget about how I perceived adults in those days..

what did Ally Sheedy say in the Breakfast Club? "When you grow up, your heart dies."
My parents are pretty reasonable and they're acutely aware that I'm smarter than they are on a whole lot of subjects. There's usually no "IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG RABBLERABBLERABBLE" unless there's a bet involved.
Bare with a 15 year old?

I'm in
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Many have this because kids like to be smartasses about stuff and think they're right about everything. Many hold on to the idea that even if they are wrong, you shouldn't challenge your parents. There are many things that factor in here.

But I partially agree. Many parents feel that they're infallible because they were smart enough to successfully have children. Sometimes kids are just assholes who think they know everything. There's a lot of both.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My parents rage about it first, and then in like half an hour come up to me and go "You know what? I think you were right."

EDIT: unless of course, i was wrong, obviously
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by shattamakar
Bare with a 15 year old?

I'm in

Ah ha. Ha. Hahaha. Ha.

Ha. (-_- #)

KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Aug 7, 2010,
Way too many parent threads haha. Just as I find out my parents are getting divorced. That's what we need! Haha oh well life goes on eh?

This is exactly why my parent's are getting a divorce. My step dad is a controlling prick. End of.
My dad refuses to admit that I know more about guitar than him, despite the fact he's never picked one up or played one in his life and doesn't have the first clue about how they work...or really anything. It stems from the fact he has to feel superior to me when it comes to understanding audio technology.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by KGB_INC
In my house, in case anyone was making assumptions from the OP, I try to explain to my parents, in a calm and collected manner, that they are wrong, and I explain to them how they are. However, they usually NEVER admit it. I'm usually always made out to be the bad guy, I get yelled at for being a smart ass, etc. But I get the satisfaction that they know I'm right, so I guess it's okay.

Again, not trying to sound arrogant. I'm just explaining exactly how it happens in the most unbiased way possible.

Arrogant is not what I'd call this, but biased is. You are telling us that whenever you and your parents fight you are always right. Obivously you would think you were right or you wouldn't be fighting in the first place. Also the fact that you gain some sort of satisfaction from thinking you are better than your parents is weird to me.
Quote by Kid Panda Bear
Arrogant is not what I'd call this, but biased is. You are telling us that whenever you and your parents fight you are always right. Obivously you would think you were right or you wouldn't be fighting in the first place. Also the fact that you gain some sort of satisfaction from thinking you are better than your parents is weird to me.

Ok, I admit, I could have worded it a bit better. Allow me to explain.

When we fight, and there is substantial proof that I am right, I am willing to defend my point of view on the matter to any extent. When I see my parents realize that I am right, and they STILL keep fighting, I find it humorous only because it's completely ironic.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
That's my absolute least favourite thing about parents, ones who think they know best about everything.

My mum used to take my things away for no reason for things like that, but we get on really well now as long as I don't stay with her very often
I don't think your parents did a good job raising you TS, questioning their authority and what not.

Now where's that soap in a sock...
Quote by KGB_INC
TL;DR: Do parents have the right to parental infallibility, regardless of the situation?

lol nah
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I never questionned my parent's authority, and I ended up very well.

They were pretty fair though.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Theres a lot of things a fifteen yearold needs to learn, thats why that kids parents are in charge of instructing him on the ways of the world. there were a lot of things when I was fifteen that I disagreed with my parents, and now that im a few years older I actually agree with them. Kids can be ****ers and so can parents. I dont believe parents are infallibable but they definetly deserve more respect than a lot of little shits give.
No.

My parents would never admit that they were wrong, even when they knew they were. And everytime I'd try to show them why they were wrong, in a nice way mind you, they'd either slap me or hit me with a switch. They claimed that it was for, "being rebellious and not following the word of god. You need to learn to respect your parents son. The bible demands it."
Sail upon the open skies
My mom usually accepts when she's wrong.
My dad won't unless you have an excess of proof to back it up.

My sister will not, under no circumstances admit she's wrong. It usually ends in "Shut up, end of discussion." and then she leaves the room... kinda funny to be honest.
Quote by RU Experienced? , bass-man9712

Quote by DecaPodge
I love you.
Nope, I've made it pretty clear to them that I don't respond well to people talking down to me. They give me advice, but realize that I can take it or leave it.

I think it also has to do with some regrets they have.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Seeing that my age group are now settling down and even having families or making family plans, I can fully respect why their children would speak back to them.

My Dad never admitted when he was wrong. My Mum did. I would admit when I was wrong always to my mother but not always with my Dad. It worked out much better in the long run. I quickly developed a much more adult relationship with her. Still got a better one.

Besides, it's a very good thing for children to question authority when necessary. They'll learn that authority demands are not perfect and will fuck up from time to time and they're less likely to take shit from other people. People who can question authority anyway at correct moments are also more likely to have successful careers.
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 7, 2010,