Just tried the new Spider 4 at my local guitar store, the 15 watt version...And I thought it was pretty good...but everyone on here seems to hate Spider 3s as much as they hate MGs, so what's the verdict on the Spider 4? It may be that I have a bad ear, but although the insane setting was a bit crap, I found the metal setting to be pretty awesome, for the tones I like (Megadeth, Maiden sort of thing)

So what do you guys think of this amp?
Everyone here hates it. I like it. I use it daily for gigs and practice, and am always complimented by fans.
Normally i would say what ever you like is good. but in this case you might have an ear not familiar with tone, in which you will start to develop... this will be a problem when you start to notice faults in your amp, over time you will not like it or it won't do what you want it to do.

How much of a budget do you have and where are you located?
Quote by iduno871
Everyone here hates it. I like it. I use it daily for gigs and practice, and am always complimented by fans.

Which model do you have, like which wattage I mean?
Quote by stykerwolf
Normally i would say what ever you like is good. but in this case you might have an ear not familiar with tone, in which you will start to develop... this will be a problem when you start to notice faults in your amp, over time you will not like it or it won't do what you want it to do.

How much of a budget do you have and where are you located?

I live in Bristol Uk, As for budget I dont know but I'll have to ask for the amp for my birthday coming up soon, so keep within the region of £200 if possible, if only a little bit over if you have to.
Partly cause a lot of UG are tube purists or have had bad experiences with line 6's.

Cheap distortions on stuff like spiders and mgs are usually sub-par and dont deliver the richness you get form a valve amp or the 'push' and it isnt as processed compared to a line 6. which is good, it isn't as digital.

Sure, spiders aren't horrible, they just don't have that sorta tubescent quality or the push or the nice crunch people like from amps.

Spiders are pretty decent if ur a bedroom player and you ain't really in a recording environment, they are more 'jam amps' imo.

Depends what you are using the amp for.

But for the price, they are okay. Just not the best sounds. But you get a range of sounds, which is the benefit.

There is still better options, though.

Like a laney, maybe?

you'll probably have to dig deeper, though.

same with a Randall, another great alternative.

Its just really your budget, in a sense.
Last edited by Glenn Guitar at Aug 7, 2010,
tone sounds too meh
sounds too digital.
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
i say definately peavy vyper... i got the spider 3... and i effed up and got the 75w cause i was like this is aawesome and ima use it for a long time.... but no.... so even if ure just getting a 15w go for a vyper... thats if u want a ss modeling amp. another option it to get a lil 5w tube amp and a dist. pedal or something to that degree. but that would b a lil more expensive
Yeah, like the guys say, you don't want to be bothering with anything in the Spider series. All as bad as each other, with the Spider 4 very slightly out in front.

With £200, you could get yourself a Peavey Vypyr, which is a very decent modelling practice amp, or you could go with a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal, which is apparently alright but I haven't tried one. I'd go with the Vypyr.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Don't even think about a spider. Get a Peavey Vypyr. Same price, 4 times the effects, 4 times the amp models, twice the processing power, and much (much) better distortion. Don't touch the Spider as long as Vypyrs exist.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I dont see the problem with Line 6 Spider 4s. I own a Spider IV 15 and have used it thoughout my Guitar-playing life. Yet everyone seems to hate them. I dont get that.

It may be because i use ibanez guitars. To my knowledge, these guitars work incredibly well with Line 6 amps.

Dont let the gear crits get to you on here man. If it sounds good to you, then you should definately get it. You'll only enjoy playing more if you do
Quote by dragozan
I dont see the problem with Line 6 Spider 4s. I own a Spider IV 15 and have used it thoughout my Guitar-playing life. Yet everyone seems to hate them. I dont get that.

It may be because i use ibanez guitars. To my knowledge, these guitars work incredibly well with Line 6 amps.

Dont let the gear crits get to you on here man. If it sounds good to you, then you should definately get it. You'll only enjoy playing more if you do

Wat
Quote by kerkhammet
Which model do you have, like which wattage I mean?

I have the 150W model, and use an Ibanez S5470 through it.

I choose this amp over my 6505+

And that's why I suggest going with what your ear likes. Your audience will 99% not know or understand tone. So if it sounds good to you, then it's likely that your fans will like it as well.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I do my very best to respect people's gear choices.

But you are deaf.

+1
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I do my very best to respect people's gear choices.

But you are deaf.

Nah man, to my knowledge, ibanez guitars work incredibly well with Line 6 amps..
And everyone knows spiders are the standard for metal bands..
Quote by im_bored
Nah man, to my knowledge, ibanez guitars work incredibly well with Line 6 amps..
And everyone knows spiders are the standard for metal bands..

Not a fan. Dosent sound very good to my ears, although it is a step up from the III
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Look man, it sounds just fine if you haven't been playing long and haven't tried much else. I had one as my second amp (stepped up from a crate GX15), and I thought it sounded awesome. And tbh, that's all that really matters. Who gives a crap that the people on UG (who you don't even know) don't like it?

Eventually it'll start to sound less and less appealing and you'll move on to something more expensive. I know it happened to me. But that's a never ending process... I say enjoy it while you still find cheap stuff adequate. Because that phase is gonna die and you're gonna be broke like all of the rest of us tone chasers here
Quote by dragozan

Considering the IV came out, what, a year ago? Sounds like you haven't been playing very long.
The IV is a good improvement over the III, but the III was pretty bad. I'm sure you like it now, but your ear will develop over time and you'll probably move on.
My first amp was a spider II 30(i think)w, then I was about to buy a HT-5, but my dad and the guy at the local guitar store convinced me to buy a Spider IV 75w. lol ...

I still want that HT-5
vox vt and peavey vypr > spider iv. all day every day forever.

features.

Spider IV 15 - 4 amp models, 6 fx
Spider IV 30 - 12 amp models, 7 fx + dedicated reverb
Spider IV 75-150 - 16 amp models, 20 fx, computer controllable editing and preset storage...wooooooooo? It's a bunch of knobs. If you can't remember where your knobs are you....: (.

-As you can see until you get to the Spider IV 75-150hd series you got shit available to you. 4 amp models or 12 amp models and 6 or 7 effects. A spider iv 75 is 300 ****ing dollars. you don't even need to pretend to have an amp for 300. You can buy a pod and plug right in to the p.a. or a flextone.

Vypr 15/30 - 24 amp models. That's 20 more then 4 and twice as many as 12.
- 11 effects on the 15/22 effects on the 30 all editable and presettable.
- real preamp tube distortion
vyper 60/120 - 6l6 power section and 12ax7 preamp section and all that stuff that all the other ones have.
vyper 30/60/120 - usb out, midi in for recording

The vypr 15 is a bit limited but the vyper 30 has all the functions of the bigger vyprs and comes in at 200 dollars.
The cheapest tube vypr is the 60 tube and it runs 450 dollars for the combo.
To get all the functionality of the spiders requires spending at least 300 dollars. 100 more then the vypr 03 and the knowledge that for 150 more you can have a full tube pre/power section.

Vox Valvetronix Series
All - 22 amp models, 11 effects+reverb+adjustable noise gate.
Power scaling wattage control+master volume+gain volume.
66 presets + 22 sound presets + 8 user selectable presets. No usb out but has a headphone/line-out with cab emulation for recording.

Fun fact. Vox is now owned by the Korg music corporation. The Korg music corp has been around forever. They aren't the super high end awesomeblossoms of the digital recording/synth/music production world but they are stable workhorses. Korg has been around since 1960. They have been doing digital music research, sampling research, and modeling research since Fender and Marshall have been around. They are directly responsible for researching and creating the VT models.

IMO: Spider - owned and tried. Insane mode sounds get ear rape.
Vypr - have not tried but reviews come back positive
Vox VT - owned and tried. 22 usable models that record well.

Now. can all the fanbois shut up eff up now.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by dragozan

lol stack im siging that
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
ITT: trolls

Don't feed the trolls.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ