anyone have clips avaliable of what these sound like? or atleast a review?
They are a step above your MIM or Squire pickups but not as good as the MIA fender pickups. The bridge is overwound a bit and has a nasal quality that is good if you want to drive your amp but not good if you want clean tone. The neck and middle are a little on the under powered side and they sound a bit thin. They use poly wire which has a modern "wet" tone that isn't particularly sought after by anybody. Sure it has it's place in the world, but it's most liked by jazz players, not by people looking for the Texas sound. The 50's and early 60's fender "Texas" tone comes from pickups made in a similar style to the GFS pickups but with 2 VERY important differences. The most significant change is using Formvar wire instead of poly wire to wind the coil. Formvar has a loose, slightly mushy, low end that helps the pickup sound smooth. The midrange from formvar is on the weak side which helps your clean tone to "chime". The treble from formvar is very strong. These 3 factors combined are what defined the pre CBS fender tone. The other thing GFS lacks is hand winding. Hand winding isn't as significant as the type of wire used but if you are using the right type of wire, formvar, then hand winding the pickup is gonna stop the pickup from sounding thin.

The poly wire that GFS uses is the polar opposite in terms of tone. It's got a tight bass, big midrange, and compressed treble similar to the late 60's pickups made with PE but without the aggressive bite that PE gave players such as Hendrix.

To sum it all up, the texas strat set is a pretty good set of pickups but it's got a late 60's vibe to the tone but without the aggressive bite. They do not have the 50's chime that is advertised. The only way to get that chime is to get something wound with heavy formvar wire. Anything wound from 5.5K to 7K with heavy formvar wire is bound to sound more "texas blues" than something wound with poly.

If you are on a tight budget and your pickups are particularly bad the GFS pickups may still be an upgraid. After all, they are made with alnico rods and fiber bobbins which is important for tone but if you can scrape together a bit more dosh then there are better options.
oh wow thanks.. no id rather spend the money and get it right the first time.. ends up cheaper in the long run.. you have any suggestions for more of that texas tone?
Well, I make pickups for a living www.rockmonkeyguitars.com and I think that my smooth groove line of pickups nails the texas tone as well or better than anything on the market. The ones that would be best for you would depend on the exact tone you are after, what amp you are using, and how loud you crank it. This is important because if you are a bedroom player that never gets to crank their amp then you are going to want a pickup with a warmer midrange if you are gonna get SRV type tone. If you are playing through a tweed style like a tweed deluxe and you frequently get to crank it then you are gonna want more in the top end and more scoop in the midrange. It's all about tailoring to your needs. The 1 thing that sets my strat style pickups apart from anybody else's is that I use shellac (which is not vintage correct) to make the pickups sound like they have been aging for 40 years. As is played, exposed to vibrations, knocked around when gigging, and has booze spilled on it, it loosens the potting and changes the capacitance of the pickup. My shellac emulates these tonal changes that happen over the years for a warmer, more airy tone. Of course you could get wax potted, but then your pickup isn't going to sound 40 years old.

There are other companies that make very good texas sounding pickups. The Seymour duncan california set is good but it's not hand wound. Duncan also has a 50's style antiquity pickup which IS hand wound. I also really like the '59 style pickup that dave stephens makes. It's not hand wound, but it's on a home made machine that does a very good job of emulating the hand wound tone and Dave uses American Alnico which does make a difference in tone.

Fender has a few 50's style pickups that are OK but not great and they are quite expensive for what you are getting.

The key things to look for are 42awg formvar wire, alnico 5 magnets, and fibre bobbins.