Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about 10 months now and my alternate picking isn't as good as I would like it to be. What is a good metal song to practice this technique? Not too hard please. Thanks in advance.
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Lamb Of God, Drop D tuning, plenty of alt picking, you'll get it nailed in say 1-2 months serious work.
Quote by Dopemgs
Lamb Of God, Drop D tuning, plenty of alt picking, you'll get it nailed in say 1-2 months serious work.

Or just 2 weeks... Alternate picking is the easiest technique to master.
the sound of truth - as i lay dying!
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by cheesecakes4

Down picking is easier
Quote by Zeletros
Down picking is easier

Except Master of Puppets
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Quote by cheesecakes4

Not at all. There's a reason that so many people are bad at it (eg. anchor, tension, etc.). It's because alternate picking isn't particularly easy. It takes a great deal of practice to get used to picking with your wrist without tension and not anchoring. It's considered "easy" because it's a basic technique, but it's by no means an easy one to do cleanly and fluently.
Quote by cheesecakes4
Alternate picking is the easiest technique to master.

And from that sentence alone, I can tell that you have not mastered the technique and, in all likelihood, aren't even anywhere close to having done so.
Alternate picking, whilst easy to perform on a basic level, is extremely difficult to gain mastery over; it takes a lot of hard work and you certainly won't get it done in "2 weeks".
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by cheesecakes4

Precise and consistent alternate picking is probably the hardest technique to master.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
For a beginner/intermediate alternate picking song, Master of Puppets is the first that jumps to my mind.

For more advanced alternate picking, go learn some of John Petrucci's stuff.
To be honest I really have never understood the need for these threads. If you can realize your alternate picking needs work, it's likely because you have applicable alternate picking songs in your music library that you have listened to/are listening to. So, why not use that as your practice material? I'd much rather practice something that holds deep musical value in my mind, rather than take some suggested song by random forum users and turn it into, essentially, an "exercise," if you catch my drift. And it doesn't really matter if the song seems too hard for you. Just slow it down in guitar pro, use a slow metronome, etc. Slow it down to 20% the speed if you have to! I have with oh-so-many songs
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by cheesecakes4

That's an opinion... Because it's definitely the hardest for me.
"Technical Difficulties" by RacerX.
Don't believe that bloke who says it's easy and you can master it in 2 weeks, he is talking out of his arse.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by cheesecakes4

lol.

Being able to alternate pick is easy, yes. But to alternate pick like a god, well... how should I put this... isn't
Practise fight fire with fire and whiplash . Both by metallica . Those songs are alternate picking from start to end . with some normal power chords aswell.
Quote by fixationdarknes
To be honest I really have never understood the need for these threads. If you can realize your alternate picking needs work, it's likely because you have applicable alternate picking songs in your music library that you have listened to/are listening to. So, why not use that as your practice material? I'd much rather practice something that holds deep musical value in my mind, rather than take some suggested song by random forum users and turn it into, essentially, an "exercise," if you catch my drift. And it doesn't really matter if the song seems too hard for you. Just slow it down in guitar pro, use a slow metronome, etc. Slow it down to 20% the speed if you have to! I have with oh-so-many songs

Exactly. If I'm having problem with alt-picking a song at the song's regular speed, I take it down to 30-40 BPM and practice it there, making sure to get everything right. After a few days it seems like I'm much better with the song.
American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser

MXR M-108 10 Band Equalizer
MXR M-169 Carbon Copy
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop JH-1 Wah

Peavey Delta Blues Classic 115

last.fm, add me if you want!