Alright, what I want to know is, would it sound right in my own band if the rthym guitar was just the rthyhm guitarist playing the same riffs as the lead player, maybe just skipping the tricky lead bits, and also just carrying on the riffs during solos?

This is what it seems like in bands like Iron Maiden and my favourite band, Megadeth.

Another thing that annoys me as my rthym guitarist isn't that good at coming up with tones. Sometimes I actually feel like it would be much easier if we could both have the same guitar and the same amp with the exact same tone. Is this what they do in famous bands? Well obviously not the guitar bit cause in Megadeth Mustaine plays a Jackson/Dean and Chris Broderick plays like an Ibanez superstrat thing, but the same amp bit. And Mustaine and Broderick both have EMGS in their guitars, so they have the same pickups. I know Dave Murray and the other guy in Maiden have the same amp and everything, so I was thinking is it a good idea to just have the exact same tone?

Another thing is, is the rthym guitarist supposed to be using the rhythym pickup?

Thanks guys if you can answer these questions for me It would be much appreciated and would help me understand this. And one more thing, just so I dont have to create a new post, Does it sound right if a note and a higher octave of the same note are played at the same time? For example, the open E string, and the 12th fret on the E, one guitarist plays the E, the other plays the higher octave note over it?
Last edited by kerkhammet at Aug 7, 2010,
What everyone's ever told me was "There is no right or wrong, just whatever sounds good".
Quote by kerkhammet
Alright, what I want to know is, would it sound right in my own band if the rthym guitar was just the rthyhm guitarist playing the same riffs as the lead player, maybe just skipping the tricky lead bits, and also just carrying on the riffs during solos?

This is what it seems like in bands like Iron Maiden and my favourite band, Megadeth.

Another thing that annoys me as my rthym guitarist isn't that good at coming up with tones. Sometimes I actually feel like it would be much easier if we could both have the same guitar and the same amp with the exact same tone. Is this what they do in famous bands? Well obviously not the guitar bit cause in Megadeth Mustaine plays a Jackson/Dean and Chris Broderick plays like an Ibanez superstrat thing, but the same amp bit. And Mustaine and Broderick both have EMGS in their guitars, so they have the same pickups. I know Dave Murray and the other guy in Maiden have the same amp and everything, so I was thinking is it a good idea to just have the exact same tone?

Another thing is, is the rthym guitarist supposed to be using the rhythym pickup?

Thanks guys if you can answer these questions for me It would be much appreciated and would help me understand this. And one more thing, just so I dont have to create a new post, Does it sound right if a note and a higher octave of the same note are played at the same time? For example, the open E string, and the 12th fret on the E, one guitarist plays the E, the other plays the higher octave note over it?

firstly , Mustaine and Broderick use completely different pickups. Mustaine has never used emgs and it is only recently that he switched to actives. he is using Seymour Duncan pickups. Chris Broderick is using dimarzio d activators.

and for the rest of it. yeah plenty of bands have designated rhythm players it seems to work pretty well for them, and as far as the octave thing goes it could sound pretty good. might add an interesting layer to your sound
whatever sounds good. and Usually during leads, the rhythm guitarist is playing a constant chord progression. The lead is made in the key of the chord progression.
Alright, but what about my question about using the rhythm pickup? Does the rhythm guitarist use that generally, and if so, could you give me some examples of bands that do?

I know a band at my school and the rhythym guitarist (who plays an SSS Strat) always plays with the neck (rthym) pickup. But those guys are like indie you know, so I dont' really know if it applies.

Mustaine always plays with the lead pickup when he plays the riffs, even though he is like the main rthyhm guitarist?

What about in Maiden? do they all play with the bridge/lead pickup?
The bridge has more treble, and is the common rock rhythm pickup choice. Rhythm, better known as neck, is great for smooth leads and cleans.

Iron Maiden use bridge for almost everything. Only Dave Murray uses the neck for some of his leads. Megadeth is most likely something similar.
Having the exact same tone is generally a bad thing. You don't want to be fighting over the same frequencies.

Just pick what sounds best for the song you're playing. No need to overcomplicate things
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Do not try it the universe might explode.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by kerkhammet

One-guitar bands work just fine, I'd say so.

Another thing that annoys me as my rhythm guitarist isn't that good at coming up with tones. Sometimes I actually feel like it would be much easier if we could both have the same guitar and the same amp with the exact same tone.

That's a bit arrogant, isn't it? "Come on man, stop messing around. I use this stuff, so you're going to use this stuff." A lot of people use different guitars on overdubs for the very reason of getting different feels from different guitars. If he says yes, sure, but otherwise it's a bit much to ask him to change his entire setup to compliment you.

Is this what they do in famous bands?

Sometimes, but not always.

Well obviously not the guitar bit cause in Megadeth Mustaine plays a Jackson/Dean and Chris Broderick plays like an Ibanez superstrat thing, but the same amp bit. And Mustaine and Broderick both have EMGS in their guitars, so they have the same pickups.

See the above post relating to the pickups.

I know Dave Murray and the other guy in Maiden have the same amp and everything,

For the most part yes, but Dave uses a JB, and Bruce uses a Super Distortion. No idea what Janick uses.

so I was thinking is it a good idea to just have the exact same tone?

I don't think so personally. I like to be able to tell who's doing what. Tone is like a fingerprint, if it's copied it's not that worthwhile to me.

Another thing is, is the rhythm guitarist supposed to be using the rhythm pickup?

No. That's an outdated thing carried on for tradition.

Does it sound right if a note and a higher octave of the same note are played at the same time? For example, the open E string, and the 12th fret on the E, one guitarist plays the E, the other plays the higher octave note over it?

I don't see why not.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 7, 2010,