Ok so ive been a big muff fan well over a year now. So i recently bought a Jackson KE3 which i love to death. But once i got my Russian Big Muff back their is to much Boominess and Bass for the big muff to handle because of the humbuckers (JB/Jazz)
So i decided to blend a Metal Muff (which i had for awhile to) and a Russian Big Muff and got a orgasmic tone which is to die for.

Anyways how do a NYC Big Muff,Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, and Little Big Muff sound with humbuckers? Im talking about chord wise. Which has the best crunchiness for chords unlike the boominess/bass of a Russian big Muff?
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
Anyways how do a NYC Big Muff,Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, and Little Big Muff sound with humbuckers? Im talking about chord wise. Which has the best crunchiness for chords unlike the boominess/bass of a Russian big Muff?

They're all the same pretty much...

Big Muff - Ridiculously large

Little Big Muff - Same as the Big Muff, but smaller

Tone Wicker - Same size as the Little Big Muff. The Tone switch bypasses the Tone knob when it's off, and the Wicker switch adds more treble when it's on. With the Tone switch on and the Wicker switch off it's the same circuit as the Big Muff/Little Big Muff.

If you liked the Russian blended with a Metal Muff, why not get a Metal Muff?
Quote by Kcintlob
They're all the same pretty much...

Big Muff - Ridiculously large

Little Big Muff - Same as the Big Muff, but smaller

Tone Wicker - Same size as the Little Big Muff. The Tone switch bypasses the Tone knob when it's off, and the Wicker switch adds more treble when it's on. With the Tone switch on and the Wicker switch off it's the same circuit as the Big Muff/Little Big Muff.

If you liked the Russian blended with a Metal Muff, why not get a Metal Muff?

lol i do have a metal muff. I need a new muff as mine is falling apart I want to read what you guys think is the best muff for chords. The russian had way to much boominess for chords
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
lol i do have a metal muff. I need a new muff as mine is falling apart I want to read what you guys think is the best muff for chords. The russian had way to much boominess for chords

Well they're all the same almost. I'd go with the Little Big Muff or the Tone Wicker, because the Big Muff is its gigantic.

There really isn't a "best" they're almost the same, and it depends what you want to do. What style of music do you want to play? What's your budget? Because people of this forum seem to rave about the Stomp Under Foot muff clones.

http://stompunderfoot.com/

Personally I got the Little Big Muff because I play lots of Blues Rock, like the Black Keys and White Stripes, and I didn't have money to shell out for a more expensive pedal.
Quote by Kcintlob
Well they're all the same almost. I'd go with the Little Big Muff or the Tone Wicker, because the Big Muff is its gigantic.

There really isn't a "best" they're almost the same, and it depends what you want to do. What style of music do you want to play? What's your budget? Because people of this forum seem to rave about the Stomp Under Foot muff clones.

http://stompunderfoot.com/

Personally I got the Little Big Muff because I play lots of Blues Rock, like the Black Keys and White Stripes, and I didn't have money to shell out for a more expensive pedal.

three words: Stomp Under Foot
i wanted to buy a SUF but i dont want a Rams head or triangle clone or somesort of Vintage Muff Clone. I wanted a raw modern muff tone.

The kind of music i play is Progressive Rock/Metal. I Combined a Russian Muff with Gain on 8 to 9 o Clock and a Metal Muff with gain on 7 o clock. It gave me this raw crunchy tone with a metal kind of vibe to it. I love it but the russian muff is to boomy in alot of situations. I need a crunchy kind of muff that will work with chords and humbuckers.
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
i wanted to buy a SUF but i dont want a Rams head or triangle clone or somesort of Vintage Muff Clone. I wanted a raw modern muff tone.

The kind of music i play is Progressive Rock/Metal. I Combined a Russian Muff with Gain on 8 to 9 o Clock and a Metal Muff with gain on 7 o clock. It gave me this raw crunchy tone with a metal kind of vibe to it. I love it but the russian muff is to boomy in alot of situations. I need a crunchy kind of muff that will work with chords and humbuckers.

the violet ram's head has some tight compression to its sound, it's good. if you want a newer muffs sound get a black russian muff, i don't think there's any difference with normal muffs and SUF. shoot Matt at SUF an email, talk to him about what tone you are after, i'm sure he can figure out to give you the tone you're searching
Quote by forsaknazrael
The NYC should be bassist than the Russian. What year was your Russian made? Got a pic?

Its the last russian version made with true bypass. Its really bassy with humbuckers
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Maybe consider a Blackout Effectors Musket?

And yeah, the Muff is really good pedal for a stoner metal/sludge/doom vibe.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're positive it's true bypass? They really didn't use that for a while. Got a pic of the inside, I'm curious.

Since you dont believe me lol.

I bought it during my Gilmour stage in April 3rd of 09 for my bday. Funny to see after a few months they stop making them.

I like to blend a muff with a overdrive to get a nice cripsy muff tone. The russian is just to bassy for that. When i blended a Metal muff and a russian muff i got a *Almost there tone* a Im looking for a Hi Gain Muff Metal tone for Progressive music
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Last edited by Mobiusr at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hehe, TB on these things just isn't that common. Some of those look like tantalum caps. That would be an issue.
The larger ones marked 1uF or 105 would contribute to an overly bassy tone.

Traditionally, Russian Muffs have .1uF coupling caps.

i read a mod on changing 2 47uf caps to .1uf caps. Do i use Creamtic Caps? I heard about not using those Tower black caps or something i forget what their called
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
are you sure they are 105 caps? Most of them say 104
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Electrolytic?
You could use ceramic, poly film, metal film.

Not quite on the values, though. No 47uF caps there.
Again, though, if anything is 1uF, changing it to .1uF will help.
And no, not sure about the 105 caps. I can't see any written values obviously, hahaha.
Just going off what you said and the fact that I like .1uF/104 caps and don't think they're too bassy at all.

fWIW, I think you'd be very happy with a Musket.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Electrolytic?
You could use ceramic, poly film, metal film.

Not quite on the values, though. No 47uF caps there.
Again, though, if anything is 1uF, changing it to .1uF will help.

fWIW, I think you'd be very happy with a Musket.

It says 473 on 2 Caps which to my knowledge is .47uf.

Ive been look at a Musket and i dont know how good it will be or similar to my sound right now. I think the best way i can describe it is Crunchy,Warm/bright,metal type of a muff distortion.
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by forsaknazrael
Those are different, they're in the clipping loops for Q3 and Q4. You can reduce them to .1uF if you want. It should reduce bass, but also some gain.

I have a couple of mods in mind that can cut bass, but unless you can read schematics, you'll have to wait until I get a Russian muff later this week.

lol i cant read schematics for shit. I can read layouts with coloring if that counts

I guess i could mod a Russian Big Muff. Ill wait for you to get your own and play around with it

Im also kinda on a budget and i need modulation (phaser,univibe,delay etc) so thats why im kinda spectical on buying a SUF or a Musket
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
I just looked up a Germanium 4 Big Muff. It uses Germanium Transistors instead of Silcon ones. Is that good enough for what im looking for?
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by forsaknazrael
In the demo, it sounded more Overdrive-y than Muff-y to me, I didn't really like it.
Not what I would be looking for in a germanium Big Muff (See Montgomery Appliances' The Badlands germanium muff demo)....

But it might be your flavor. Check it out when it's released.

Where can i get one and how much is it? Its almost like the tone i have right now. Expect alot more fuzzier.
What is thall? THALL
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
are you sure they are 105 caps? Most of them say 104

473 caps are .047uf and the other caps are 104 which is .1uf
If you need help modifying the pedal you can send me an e-mail through my home page
tell me what you want and i can suggest what to change.