This is a problem I've experienced with my guitar for quite a while now. The problem, is the G string. For some reason it sounds awful compared to other strings, dunno if sterile is right word.

It's not the strings. I've changed them a few times since and the problem always stays. I got to a point where I just play and forget about it, until I can get a new guitar. I've tried playing with the bridge saddle, but no real improvement.

The guitar is an old Ibanez GAX70. Never really taken care of it, it's pretty dirty but it's my only guitar. The white rings on some tuning pegs are broken(G string, high e string). The maple neck(not fretboard but neck) has started changing colors a while ago. There are some brown parts. I'm suspecting the neck is starting to rot. The nut seems to be coming out a bit(under the low e string). Also, on the bolt-on plate, one of the screws isn't totally straight and isn't screwed all the way. I've tried screwing it but it seems like it can't go further, and I don't wanna force too much and damage something.

Overally, it's not sounding that bad, apart from the G string. So this is the tale of my old rusty GAX70. Any idea if the problem comes from the symptoms I mentionned? I'm really too ashamed to bring this piece of crap to a tech, and I'd like to get the exp myself, if there's anything that can be done.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Does it sound bad only through an amp or all the time?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Does it sound bad only through an amp or all the time?

All the time. Even unplugged.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

The problem is that it's the G string. The G string is the bane of all guitarists existence.

Try tuning it with your ear. The "correct" tuning of it isn't always desirable - somtimes making it a little sharp or flat yields more desirable results.

Also, try different brands of strings for different tones.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The problem is that it's the G string. The G string is the bane of all guitarists existence.

Try tuning it with your ear. The "correct" tuning of it isn't always desirable - somtimes making it a little sharp or flat yields more desirable results.

Also, try different brands of strings for different tones.

Ever so true. I can never get my G to sound right in an open E major if it's tuned correctly and it sounds wonky everywhere. If I tune by ear, it's fine!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Now that I think about it, you might be right... hearing the sound in my head, it definatly sounds a bit too flat. I'll try that tomorrow, when I can play.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

make sure the guitar is in tune when open, AND at the same time, in tune at the 12th fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It is really weird, I usually tune it with a tuner first, then match the 12th fret with a G on the A string. It's weird that you're nut is coming out though, considering the strings pretty much hold it in place. You could try a little glue but it sounds like something is uneven, possibly because of that screw