Hi im 17 ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half. I bought a Squier se special strat to start with. My skills have greatly inproved so much to so as i am a lead/rythm guitarist in a alternative/metal rock band. I was just wondering if i could get some help on choseing my next guitar. Im looking for the best sound under distortion and clean as possible. I play in standard and drop D. My price range is around 500$ i would like it to be under if possible so if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what to get and a good amp for around 200$ also....And no used guitars prices for new please ........Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.......

P.s.--Im sorry if this thread is not in the correct spot.
umm slim neck preferable...and i want a body style that would be comfortable sitting and playing with so no warrior..flying v styles please...anything else dose not matter as long as it plays realy good.....
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH401NT-Electric-Guitar?sku=520114

LTD MH-401NT. $499. I've played a couple and for the money, I think they're great guitars.

Pros: Looks beautiful, active p'ups, good for metal, and it's set-neck.

Cons: No Floyd (Only bad if you like them), may not get a really great clean sound from the EMG's (even though a lot of people think EMG's sound fine clean).

Neck shouldn't be too thick for you either. My hands aren't very big and it's comfortable, but that is only an opinion.
What bands are you trying to emulate tonewise?

Is that your budget for your amp *and* guitar?

I'm selling my Schecter S-1 Blackjack for $225 .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
welll stuff like underoath...demon hunter as i lay dying.......and 500$ for guitar and 200$ for amp is the budget im looking at..
You should probably consider spend more money on the amp; it's much more important in the "tone equation" than the guitar is.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you say it's an MG I'm going to "lol"

I say look at some Agile guitars.

www.rondomusic.com

You can find a nice LP style guitar for 300-400 which can give you some more headroom when buying your amp.
Schecter's are great values. I don't feel you can really go wrong with a schecter if your a metal head like myself. I find it most important to pay attention to the wood specs of a guitar and it's neck more than anything. Tuners, Pickups, Bridges, Nut material, etc can all be upgraded if you find the need, for cheap too thanks to GFS.com. Do some serious thinking about what your ideal sound will be and then read about how the different woods affect your sound. This is a good place to start http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm. Fret size and shape is also something to think about http://rockhousemethod.blogspot.com/2009/04/guitar-frets-does-size-matter.html.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Last edited by wagonmancer at Aug 7, 2010,
For less than $500, the only Schecter I know of that's not too bad is the Hellraiser Deluxe. The other ones I've noticed either have not so great p'ups, or have bolt-on necks.