The purpose of my question coincides with me posting this in the guitar thread not the bass - because that's where I'm confused. I know the intent of the VI was that it wasn't a bass, it wasn't a guitar, and it wasn't really a baritone (somehow - I'm pretty sure it is). I have found very mixed descriptions and hints as to how it works and hopefully someone here can clear it up. I know in the end it doesn't really matter what you call it, but I was wondering if it's safe to play through standard (not bass) guitar tube amplifiers ( i just saw a demo video on youtube of some jackass doing so, so it wasn't a comforting confirmation) , as baritones are. But I have also acquired confusion over playing basses through guitar amps regardless, and that its not really damaging to plug one through. . . and that's why I'm pleading for some assistance here.
Last edited by Lrn2play at Aug 7, 2010,
it really depends onn what you want to play if you r gonna use a guitar amp i would recommend 12s 4 x 12 or 2 x 12 would do nicely
I wouldn't play a Fender Bass VI through a guitar amplifier. The bass VI is very much an electric bass. Unlike a current six-string bass, it was tuned like a guitar. The lowest four strings were tuned EADG just like a regular bass. As such, it will fry a set of guitar speakers after a while.

A bass won't hurt the guitar amplifier. It will damage the guitar speakers. Some bassists still play through a guitar head and bass cabinets.

Schecter made something of an updated knock-off of the Fender Bass VI a while ago, but I believe it has been discontinued. Fender made a limited reissue of the Bass VI a while ago, but they have long since been snapped up. Original Bass VI models do come up for sale, but they definitely ain't cheap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ the hellcat VI is still around. just not highly produced because not many people are looking for an instrument like this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
A bass VI is a bass that was designed to be easy for guitarists to play when the bassist was doing something else. For example, when McCartney played piano, Harrison played a Bass VI.

And like any bass, it can be played through a guitar amp/speaker, but if the amp is played at a high tempo and high volume it can create air pressure that will tear the speaker.