Ok, so I picked up slapping and popping maybe two months ago, and have always had probs slapping the A string. I can slap the E string perfectly fine, but I have troubles with the A string. It sounds like I'm muting the string or something, the note comes out quietly, or sometimes you cant even hear it. I also end up accidently slapping the E string. I cant use my left thumb to mute the E string because it limits what my other fingers can do.

Any suggestions please? Thanks!!!
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I'm no expert at slapping, but I tend to slap from a different angle on any string that isn't the 4th. I tend to have my thumb closer to the bridge, and I move straight down.
Quote by SMbassist
I'm no expert at slapping, but I tend to slap from a different angle on any string that isn't the 4th. I tend to have my thumb closer to the bridge, and I move straight down.

Alright, thanks!!

(\__/)
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

(\__/)
@ Supersac: LOL. (It kinda does help.) (before a mod comes to delete my post, I'm only joking. Maybe)

@ Evan K.: Just remember, I may be doing it wrong. I'm not a slapstyle expert. Not really into the funkstyle music, I'm more of just your average rock n' roll/metal bassist. I only use slaps about 20% of the time, just to emphasize certain notes. However, if you have the right distortion, you can get a really mean bite from your tone when you Slap. Mine sounds like a roar, basically. If you want to practice your slapping, play some korn. It's simple, but almost everything Fieldy does is slap, so it will get you used to playing slap. Primus' simple stuff will also help, too.
Last edited by SMbassist at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by SMbassist
@ Supersac: LOL. (It kinda does help.) (before a mod comes to delete my post, I'm only joking. Maybe)

@ Evan K.: Just remember, I may be doing it wrong. I'm not a slapstyle expert. Not really into the funkstyle music, I'm more of just your average rock n' roll/metal bassist. I only use slaps about 20% of the time, just to emphasize certain notes. However, if you have the right distortion, you can get a really mean bite from your tone when you Slap. Mine sounds like a roar, basically. If you want to practice your slapping, play some korn. It's simple, but almost everything Fieldy does is slap, so it will get you used to playing slap. Primus' simple stuff will also help, too.

I tried some primus, however alot of their stuff is played on a 5 string, however I'll try some of Korns stuff.

Thanks again!

(\__/)
Les uses 4 strings too. Too many puppies is a fun one to learn. I really only know one of the riffs, but still.
Quote by SMbassist
Les uses 4 strings too. Too many puppies is a fun one to learn. I really only know one of the riffs, but still.

Ok, I'll try that one.

(\__/)
Think its just a case of practise, as i think i had the same sort of problem when i started. try slapping the even higher strings if you think A's bad, slapping G just feels wierd
Alot of it will depend on the angle you attack the strings from... For example when I am slapping i come straight at the strings, so perpendicular to the fretboard. However when I am double thumbing I come strait down and up like i am using a pick. So my advice is to examine what angle you are coming at the strings at and adjust accordingly.
Make more of a fist with your fingers, and remember it's in the wrist, keep your wrist as floppy as you after seeing your grandma naked.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yeah, I think you might need to loosen up your wrist and really bounce off the A string.
Slap is all in the wrist, once you have the motions down, there's not much to it.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Sigged.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

There are actually two ways you can position your right hand, fingers going towards the floor, and towards you, try both, experiment, and you'll feel which one feels more comfortable. Once you get that done, try slapping the string on different spots until you get the best sound, that is the spot you want to concentrate on. I had the exact same problem, when i slapped the A string the E was slapped at the same time. Just take things slowly from there and you'll get it, generally it's the spot at the end of the neck which sounds best, just practice it, on all the strings and you'll get it!
Sgt. Baker by Primus, slap it all. It is possibly the best slap/pop excersise I've ever come across, not to mention stamina. It's also a very easy song to develop fills over.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Aug 8, 2010,
Where about are you slapping? I slap just at the end of the fretboard and I've never had a problem like that. It may also be that you're string is too loose

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by RHCPbassist22
Alot of it will depend on the angle you attack the strings from... For example when I am slapping i come straight at the strings, so perpendicular to the fretboard. However when I am double thumbing I come strait down and up like i am using a pick. So my advice is to examine what angle you are coming at the strings at and adjust accordingly.

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks alot!!!

(\__/)
Quote by m4l666
Make more of a fist with your fingers, and remember it's in the wrist, keep your wrist as floppy as you after seeing your grandma naked.

ROTFLMAO

(\__/)
Quote by Bassist Rising
Where about are you slapping? I slap just at the end of the fretboard and I've never had a problem like that. It may also be that you're string is too loose

I try and slap on the last fret (22 in my case).

And when I put my strings on, I keep the string intact, rather than cut the excess string off, so I guess it could be too loose.

(\__/)