I went in to Guitar Center today looking for a new guitar. I've been gassing for an Epiphone SG for quite sometime after playing one back around Christmas. I'd like to get a Heavy Metal guitar because that is most of the music I've been playing lately.

I was really bummed when all the Sg's and even the Les Paul's I picked up had Very Chunky neck's. My Standard Strat and my Ibanez AS-73 are pretty thin but I could'nt believe how Fat these Epiphones were. I thought that since I was looking at the lesser priced models ( $600.00 and less ) was the reason,but the sales dude said that all the Epi/Gibson guitars have very thick neck's.

I played a bunch of Ibanez , Schecter ,Jackson and Kramer guitar's ,what I alway's thought of as the Shredder type Axes, and liked them MUCH better.

Now I'll have to start all over again with my online searches to find one of these that will suit my need's.

Good Crunchy Metal, twin Hummbucker pick-ups
I dont need a Trem or Wammy bar.
I'd also like a thru body string design.
Either bolt on or set neck (it does'nt matter)
around the $400.00 or less range.

For those of you who think I should get an Amp instead of another guitar. I only jam alone and I'm happy with the amp modelers in my Digitech pedal. Thank's though.

Thank You.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
LOL. Most Epiphone necks aren't nearly as thick as Gibson LP necks.
Moving on.....
Schecter necks arent that much thinner then epi necks usually

But yeah the lps and sgs werent really designed for metal in mind lol...
Its a preference thing really i personally like a thinner neck as well but some people have different hands and hate it tis just the way it goes.

Ibanez has a number of budget fixed bridge rgs. Kramer does a decent looking fixed bridge superstrat guitar but i've not tried it and yea. Just try out the guitars that fit the bill and get the one you like best. They won't be completely amazing but they will be cool with a pro setup and a pickup change down the line.
If you want an SG shape LTD necks are a bit thinner.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516634

I'd up my budget and go with this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper300FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584499
Sell the EMGs and get passive pickups.
At least that's just me.

If you're willing to look used you might be able to find an awesome deal on an LTD Viper.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Schecter necks arent that much thinner then epi necks usually

But yeah the lps and sgs werent really designed for metal in mind lol...
Its a preference thing really i personally like a thinner neck as well but some people have different hands and hate it tis just the way it goes.

Ibanez has a number of budget fixed bridge rgs. Kramer does a decent looking fixed bridge superstrat guitar but i've not tried it and yea. Just try out the guitars that fit the bill and get the one you like best. They won't be completely amazing but they will be cool with a pro setup and a pickup change down the line.

dont start the gibson is metal friendly shit. i have gibsons hanging from my walls that are perfect for playing metal. its all the person. not the guitar. randy rhodes. he used LPs (also his signature jacksons) to play metal and shred****ed solos. matt pike is another god on the guitar that uses LPs.

if you want a "metal" guitar youre already on the wrong mindset. just do what you have been doing. go to gc and any other local guitar stores you might have around you and play everything. try some fenders out. youd be surprised how metal friendly those ****ers are. my friend walter swears by his strat. rightfully so, theyre great guitars. take your time. maybe take the time to save up more money as well. if its in any way advertised as a metal guitar, ignore it and try out some other shit. try out brands you havent heard of or thought of trying. you might surprise yourself.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
dont start the gibson is metal friendly shit. i have gibsons hanging from my walls that are perfect for playing metal. its all the person. not the guitar. randy rhodes. he used LPs (also his signature jacksons) to play metal and shred****ed solos. matt pike is another god on the guitar that uses LPs.

if you want a "metal" guitar youre already on the wrong mindset. just do what you have been doing. go to gc and any other local guitar stores you might have around you and play everything. try some fenders out. youd be surprised how metal friendly those ****ers are. my friend walter swears by his strat. rightfully so, theyre great guitars. take your time. maybe take the time to save up more money as well. if its in any way advertised as a metal guitar, ignore it and try out some other shit. try out brands you havent heard of or thought of trying. you might surprise yourself.

I didnt say they couldnt do metal. I said they werent designed with metal in mind...
Quote by Crohny

Very true.

Gibsons do metal very well, they give some of the best metal tones I have heard. With a pickup swap, it would do even better.

As long as you don't mind the thicker necks, Gibsons are great guitars for metal.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I think some people need to learn the difference between the phrases "weren't designed for metal in mind" and "Can't do metal".
It must be said:

You can play metal, on any guitar.

I'm playing an Epi G400 right now, I slapped a Steamhammer in the bridge and a rolling mill in the neck, and it screams! It's my favourite guitar i've ever played.

There's no such thing as a metal guitar. If you want a thinner neck so you can shred more (or not adjust to a new neck), go ahead.

I suggest an ESP LTD EC-1000. $800, the "thin" neck you want, double hum, 24 frets.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
depends which sg u picked the 60's reissue one has a very thin neck the rest have more 50's chunky necks
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by coolstoryangus
I think some people need to learn the difference between the phrases "weren't designed for metal in mind" and "Can't do metal".

But black sabbath were the godfathers of metal? I don't understand. Metal isn't a new style of music, people just don't call the old original metal bands metal anymore, the newer bands are classed as metal more because they sound heavier with all the different tunings they use.
Last edited by Delboyuk_01 at Aug 8, 2010,
Maybe I just have to keep looking. I know I picked up a G-400 at a Guitar Center that felt just Beautiful but I had just bought my Semi Hollow and I could'nt bring home another guitar without causing turmoil in the household.

As previously stated,you can play metal on most anything,but I alway's liked the shape of an SG and I already have a Squier HSS Strat that I like. It sounds pretty good as well as the AS-73 playing Sabbath and Judas Priest but...

I had never played a guitar with a "flat " neck like on the Ibanez and the Kramer I tried, and was pretty impressed with how it played. I am definately not a shredder, mostly rhythm and riff type music. It was easy to do rock and bar chords.

Thank's for all the help
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
You can shred on any guitar, just requires a bit more finesse with hand positioning.

As far as personal feel goes, thick necks iz best necks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
epiphone necks are pretty thin
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
the best of both worlds... look for a used Yamaha SG-500. you may find one around $400. thinner neck than a 60's lp neck.

thank me later.

edit: that's a higher model, but mostly cosmetic differences.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 8, 2010,
Ibanez ART series. GC should always have a couple in stock, usually the 100/300 models, and in rare cases maybe even a 320 or 600. Same kinda set up. Though anything above the ART100 has active pickups, which tend to not do too well with modeling amps or digital effects.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by TMF128
Very true.

Gibsons do metal very well, they give some of the best metal tones I have heard. With a pickup swap, it would do even better.

As long as you don't mind the thicker necks, Gibsons are great guitars for metal.

the necks arent that thick. my sg standard isnt the thinnest neck, but surely not close to the thickest. the neck on my V is really thin. almost too thin. thin necks make my hands hurt a lot more. they do make it easier to play, but making something easier takes the fun out of it for me.

Quote by coolstoryangus

nice pointless double post. what were gibsons actually designed for then? i didnt realize gibson only marketed towards one genre. either way, what you said is still invalid. youre missing the point. even is something is "made" for a certain genre there are parts of that guitar that are used by other people for different types of playing. i know a few people who thought thin necks were the way to go for playing metal, then they got their hands on guitars with different neck shapes and thicknesses. they stopped using thin necks.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by dngrsdave
Maybe I just have to keep looking. I know I picked up a G-400 at a Guitar Center that felt just Beautiful but I had just bought my Semi Hollow and I could'nt bring home another guitar without causing turmoil in the household.

As previously stated,you can play metal on most anything,but I alway's liked the shape of an SG and I already have a Squier HSS Strat that I like. It sounds pretty good as well as the AS-73 playing Sabbath and Judas Priest but...

I had never played a guitar with a "flat " neck like on the Ibanez and the Kramer I tried, and was pretty impressed with how it played. I am definately not a shredder, mostly rhythm and riff type music. It was easy to do rock and bar chords.

Thank's for all the help

If you think the epi neck's too thick then it's too thick for you. There's no way getting around it.

But, as mentioned here, LTDs have thinner necks but pretty much the same body type. They, though, look more metalish, but that's what you wanted to play..
Quote by Crohny
the necks arent that thick. my sg standard isnt the thinnest neck, but surely not close to the thickest. the neck on my V is really thin. almost too thin. thin necks make my hands hurt a lot more. they do make it easier to play, but making something easier takes the fun out of it for me.

nice pointless double post. what were gibsons actually designed for then? i didnt realize gibson only marketed towards one genre. either way, what you said is still invalid. youre missing the point. even is something is "made" for a certain genre there are parts of that guitar that are used by other people for different types of playing. i know a few people who thought thin necks were the way to go for playing metal, then they got their hands on guitars with different neck shapes and thicknesses. they stopped using thin necks.

shhhh fanboyy. I never once said gibsons where bad for metal or have never been marketed towards metal. Stop being butthurt.
ESP LTD Viper

I'd go check that out if I were you.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by gregs1020
the best of both worlds... look for a used Yamaha SG-500. you may find one around $400. thinner neck than a 60's lp neck.

thank me later.

edit: that's a higher model, but mostly cosmetic differences.

damn you, stop bringing back my yamaha SG GAS

Although - that is a great suggestion.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
damn you, stop bringing back my yamaha SG GAS

Although - that is a great suggestion.

for this thread yea, it meets every spec he requests.

thin neck, LP/SG vibe, set neck, no whammy, balls out rocker with hot buckers. it would be perfect but a lot of people get turned off by the looks...

save up blomp, they're not that expensive used. my 800s was great but ben got the triangle inlays on his 800, and the fingerrippers...
Quote by gregs1020
for this thread yea, it meets every spec he requests.

thin neck, LP/SG vibe, set neck, no whammy, balls out rocker with hot buckers. it would be perfect but a lot of people get turned off by the looks...

save up blomp, they're not that expensive used. my 800s was great but ben got the triangle inlays on his 800, and the fingerrippers...

Yep, i think once i've paid for the burny SG, a Yamaha SG will the next thing on my list They go on ebay for about £400 here, a lot more than $400, but still good for a late '70s MIJ
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by siverstorm
If you want an SG shape LTD necks are a bit thinner.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516634

I'd up my budget and go with this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper300FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584499
Sell the EMGs and get passive pickups.
At least that's just me.

If you're willing to look used you might be able to find an awesome deal on an LTD Viper.

Seconded.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by coolstoryangus
shhhh fanboyy. I never once said gibsons where bad for metal or have never been marketed towards metal. Stop being butthurt.

hard to be a fan boy if you hate the company... i would never buy one of their guitars brand new unless i got a deal on it. ill stick to used gibsons. no, you said they weren't designed for metal. like you were saying they are designed solely for one type of playing. i was saying thats dumb to say because it could potentially **** someone up on deciding on guitars to try out and could pass up something that could be right for them.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
hard to be a fan boy if you hate the company... i would never buy one of their guitars brand new unless i got a deal on it. ill stick to used gibsons. no, you said they weren't designed for metal. like you were saying they are designed solely for one type of playing. i was saying thats dumb to say because it could potentially **** someone up on deciding on guitars to try out and could pass up something that could be right for them.

all he said was that gibson les pauls and SGs weren't really designed with metal in mind - which is a fact. I don't think metal existed in 1952. I don't think metal existed in 1961 either. But that didn't stop the gibson explorer, introduced in 1958, from being an iconic metal guitar, and it doesn't stop the LP and SG from being perfectly good metal guitars. I think it's perfectly obvious that he meant that, and that you're just being unnecessarily confrontational. he didn't say they were designed solely for one type of playing either, in fact he didn't even say anything that resembled that in this entire thread - again, you're just putting words in his mouth in order to give yourself something to rant about.

Quote by Blompcube
all he said was that gibson les pauls and SGs weren't really designed with metal in mind - which is a fact. I don't think metal existed in 1952. I don't think metal existed in 1961 either. But that didn't stop the gibson explorer, introduced in 1958, from being an iconic metal guitar, and it doesn't stop the LP and SG from being perfectly good metal guitars. I think it's perfectly obvious that he meant that, and that you're just being unnecessarily confrontational. he didn't say they were designed solely for one type of playing either, in fact he didn't even say anything that resembled that in this entire thread - again, you're just putting words in his mouth in order to give yourself something to rant about.

you obviously dont read much of the posts by younger players who are just starting out that get confused by stupid posts abut how some guitar is or isnt designed for certain playing. just because it's obvious to you doesnt mean that someone who doesnt have a clue about this shit will catch on. thats my point. you coudl say a lp was designed for jazz. it'd make sense. les paul played jazz. it does jazz well. it also does blues, metal, folk, and blah blah. it's not unnecessary to tell people to stop this train of thought. considering this is suppose to be a place for people to learn. hard to learn when morons throw out misleading shit.

also you forgot the V. that is another guitar that is popular in metal. also another first from them in the late 50s that caught on in metal. obviously wasn't designed with metal in mind, but it does metal perfectly.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by Crohny
you obviously dont read much of the posts by younger players who are just starting out that get confused by stupid posts abut how some guitar is or isnt designed for certain playing. just because it's obvious to you doesnt mean that someone who doesnt have a clue about this shit will catch on. thats my point. you coudl say a lp was designed for jazz. it'd make sense. les paul played jazz. it does jazz well. it also does blues, metal, folk, and blah blah. it's not unnecessary to tell people to stop this train of thought. considering this is suppose to be a place for people to learn. hard to learn when morons throw out misleading shit.

also you forgot the V. that is another guitar that is popular in metal. also another first from them in the late 50s that caught on in metal. obviously wasn't designed with metal in mind, but it does metal perfectly.

i didn't forget the V, i just thought it wasn't necessary to mention it because it's pretty much the same story as the explorer. I also think the explorer is possibly more of an iconic metal guitar than the gibson V, which seems to have more of a connection with '70s rock - the V shapes i associate with metal are more things like the Randy Rhoads V etc..

I do see your point a bit better now you're not in full-on rant mode though - i guess i have seen strats dismissed as country twangers a bit too often

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 10, 2010,
I haven't really read any of the posts in this thread, so shoot me if I'm just rehashing what's already been said or what's already been ruled out.

But for $400 you could get an RG321/RG2EX1 (got mine for $250 new) and have enough cash left over for a nice set of pickups. This is what I did with an RG2EX1 and life's been good for over a year now.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Blompcube
i didn't forget the V, i just thought it wasn't necessary to mention it because it's pretty much the same story as the explorer. I also think the explorer is possibly more of an iconic metal guitar than the gibson V, which seems to have more of a connection with '70s rock - the V shapes i associate with metal are more things like the Randy Rhoads V etc..

I do see your point a bit better now you're not in full-on rant mode though - i guess i have seen strats dismissed as country twangers a bit too often

i wasnt calling you out liek you forgot. RRs are deff pretty iconic. also hendrix used a V. i've always been a bigger fan of the V than the explorer.

edit: strats are sick for metal as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Aug 11, 2010,