So I've come to realize that I really need to upgrade my amp in order to get any real good sounds out of my set up.

My current setup
-Epiphone Korina Explorer
-Crybaby classic Wah pedal (w/fasel)
-Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
-Line 6 spider 15W amp

After playing with other amps I've realized that this amp doesn't really suit me. I play a mix of classic, hard rock and punk (Influences Foo Fighters, NOFX, Pixies, etc.)

My budget is around 300 to 400 dollars give or take a bit.
I'm headed to college in about a week so it can't be HUGE, however I am looking for an amp that can hold it's own volume in a band setting. Really need a good mix between volume and space.

Thanks for your time
I was about to suggest Egnater Tweaker, but I remember the price being less than $579

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Thanks for the suggestions, I was also looking at the vox valvetronix 50W. Any other suggestions I should look into?
Quote by KaptanKrunch
Thanks for the suggestions, I was also looking at the vox valvetronix 50W. Any other suggestions I should look into?

Vox VT50 is OK, good for hybrid amps, but for $300-$400. I suggest JCA20 combo.

The JCA has one channel, keep that in mind.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
agree with the Jet City JCA20(20 watts), also look at used Peavey Valveking(the 50 watt one), Bugera V22(22 watts), Blackstar HT-5(5 watts).

now these are pretty much alltube(the blackstar is debateable) amps, which means they are going to sound much louder than you line 6 spider. I bet the 5 watt Blackstar, sounds*(only sounds to us, but isn't in reality) louder than the 15 watt spider.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
agree with the Jet City JCA20(20 watts), also look at used Peavey Valveking(the 50 watt one), Bugera V22(22 watts), Blackstar HT-5(5 watts).

now these are pretty much alltube(the blackstar is debateable) amps, which means they are going to sound much louder than you line 6 spider. I bet the 5 watt Blackstar, sounds*(only sounds to us, but isn't in reality) louder than the 15 watt spider.

The Blackstar HT-5 is much louder than a 15 watt Spider. I believe you can match a 15 watt SS amp with a 1-4 watt tube amp in terms of volume.

Can't say I've heard good things about the V22. The HT-5 is alright. Peavey VK requires a lot of modding.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Can't say I've heard good things about the V22. The HT-5 is alright. Peavey VK requires a lot of modding.

If AcousticMirror likes the V22 (and he has undying hatred for Bugera as a whole) then it's good enough for me.

Would not recommend any of those amps for college, except the HT-5, because they don't have headphone outs. The HT-5 isn't loud enough for what the OP wants, though. I'd second the Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
getting a 60 watt amp isn't exactly ideal for a dorm room, and he never said he'd be using headphones in the first place
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
getting a 60 watt amp isn't exactly ideal for a dorm room, and he never said he'd be using headphones in the first place

Kinda what i was worried about with that amp, my friend has the 75W solid state vypyr and that thing might be a little too...massive... However while I may or may not need headphones, I would really like something with an output for recording (my roommate and I are going to buy a recording system for a computer). Probably should have mentioned that beforehand, didn't come to mind. However I'll be happy as long as the amp can be heard over a drummer.
Quote by KaptanKrunch
Kinda what i was worried about with that amp, my friend has the 75W solid state vypyr and that thing might be a little too...massive... However while I may or may not need headphones, I would really like something with an output for recording (my roommate and I are going to buy a recording system for a computer). Probably should have mentioned that beforehand, didn't come to mind. However I'll be happy as long as the amp can be heard over a drummer.

Peavey Vypyr 60 might be a good idea then.

I'm pretty sure it has like a USB out or something.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Peavey Vypyr 60 might be a good idea then.

I'm pretty sure it has like a USB out or something.

yeah, it seems like a good idea. I like my friends solid state version alot, but I'm excited to hear the tube sound. The only thing I worry about is the size, but I suppose I could just wait till I've been in the dorm long enough to determine how much space I really have.
Quote by KaptanKrunch
yeah, it seems like a good idea. I like my friends solid state version alot, but I'm excited to hear the tube sound. The only thing I worry about is the size, but I suppose I could just wait till I've been in the dorm long enough to determine how much space I really have.

Go to GC or listen to some youtube videos to hear the difference between the two
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I just don't understand why you would by a hybrid when you could afford an all tube amp like the vk, and the jca 20, v22, Etc. Etc.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx