So I'd say i'm fairly new to the electric guitar, as I've only been playing for two years. The only new equiptment i've owned i've built myself. The rest is used, mostly from pawn shops. My first guitar was an Aria Pro STG series, a Stratocaster knockoff with a S-S-H pickup configuration. It's played very well for me, as far as I know. I've recently made it a new pickguard so that it has a H-H picup configuration, and I've replaced the frets, but haven't been able to smooth them up yet. The guitar is about 12 years old.

So my question is thus: Do you think that My cheap Aria Pro Asian Import Strat-ripoff is inferior to a new Ibanez or some other such, or would it be plausible to play "decent" music on it?

I've noticed on YouTube that a lot of people are biased away from DIY equiptment.
It depends on the Ibanez, really. There are complete shit Ibanez's, and there are completely mindblowing onees.

If you like your current guitar, don't force yourself to be dissatisfied with it just because other people would be.

Any guitar can play any kind of music, as long as you have an amp that will let it. So I don't know what you mean by "would it be plausible to play "decent" music on it?".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I recently learned that my first guitar, a synsonics strat knockoff, sounds awesome through my main rig. I hadn't touched it in at least 7 years, then I broke it out as a joke, and now I'm writing with it. Something about the super low output p.o.s. single coils sounds really unsteady, like the notes are trying to cave in on themselves. It made for a very cool jam session.

My point: if the guitar continues to make sounds you like, keep playing it.
Guitar: Fender Strat (SD Hot Rails in bridge, SD lil 59 in neck)
Effects: GUITAR> TU-2>WH-IV>CS-3>OC-2>GCB-95>TS-808> AMP -=- FX Loop: NS-2>CE-5>DD-6>DOD fx-42b
Amp: Marshall DSL50 w/Mercury Magnetics Choke/OT
Nothing wrong with Aria Pro guitars. The Japanese made ones are really high quality. If you're happy with it, then stick with it. Of course there's nothing wrong with adding another guitar to your family either.....
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Alright... It's just that I have covers of me (half-decently) playing covers on my Aria on Youtube, and people are always like "get a jackson or ibanez or schecter". I was just wondering if that was justified.
Quote by The Hunger
Alright... It's just that I have covers of me (half-decently) playing covers on my Aria on Youtube, and people are always like "get a jackson or ibanez or schecter". I was just wondering if that was justified.

Haters!! People think that the big name stuff is ALWAYS better, and that's simply not true. One of my friends switches between an Aria and an Epi SG. It's all a matter of preference.
EVH bought his guitar for 50$ out of Fender's trash. SRV threw Number 1 into a wall and broke the headstock, and still continued to play with it. If you know what you are doing you can make just about anything work for you in some way or another and it definitely sounds like you know your way around a guitar. If i were you I would not be able to justify buying a new guitar.
Last edited by colgo889 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by The Hunger

Ok. There is a lot of dumbasses on UG. Now take the typical dumbass from UG and half there smarts. Then you will have the typical youtube user that comments on guitar cover videos.
K?
If it works for you then more power to you. People who are biased towards DIY gear are more often then not either lazy or do not possess the skill/tools/time to do it themselves. Or they are just idiots lol. Seriously if I had the tools and materials I would rather build my own guitar cause then you get to make it exactly the way you want it. It isnt just a guitar it is YOUR guitar. And to those people who tell you to go buy jackson, ibanez, and schekter just tell them to shut up, a guitar isnt good unless you make it good. Example: I would rather have my $140 Douglas randy rhoads knockoff than a $1500 strat, its comfortable and just need new pickups. If you like your guitar then thats really all that matters, others opinions do not matter.
Last edited by Drkdvl725 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by Drkdvl725
If it works for you then more power to you. People who are biased towards DIY gear are more often then not either lazy or do not possess the skill/tools/time to do it themselves. Or they are just idiots lol. Seriously if I had the tools and materials I would rather build my own guitar cause then you get to make it exactly the way you want it. It isnt just a guitar it is YOUR guitar. And to those people who tell you to go buy jackson, ibanez, and schekter just tell them to shut up, a guitar isnt good unless you make it good. Example: I would rather have my $140 Douglas randy rhoads knockoff than a $1500 strat, its comfortable and just need new pickups. If you like your guitar then thats really all that matters, others opinions do not matter.

I absolutely agree, this applies to many other things too. I just got into guitars and bought myself a 100 $ musicians gear guitar. I am excited and I am sure it will be more fun for me to customize it to my likings than buying a $500 guitar which i could have afforded without a problem ..
Its what you do with it that counts!
DIY guitars are awesome, every one of my guitar's have some sort of modification I did myself. I have even scalloped my Jackson JS30 King V's neck from fret 12-24.

I only did a half scallop because I wasn't sure if I was gonna like it. Now im just use to the half scalloped neck and have a lot of fun with it
I'm the musical equivalent of driving a Sherman tank to work.