Page 1 of 3
So pit, I've been thinking. I've wanted to be a lawyer for quite some time, but looking into it, it's not the easiest field to make it somewhere in. Theres always the possibility that I'd get nowhere, from what I've read, it's incredibly hard to get recognized. Not to mention the lack of a social life where work comes into play.

So, I've been second guessing what I want to do for a career. Problem being, this is my last year of high school. If I have different ideas now, I better have damn good ones.

/miniblog

Outside of myself, what are your career paths? What are you guys going to college to be? Whether you are still in high school and have ideas, or are currently in college for it, or hell, if you already managed to achieve what you were after.

Lets hear it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

My only set plan is to go to med school and become a surgeon. My only backup is get some sort of Master's degree, but I don't know in what yet.

EDIT: I'm going into 3rd uni year this fall, btw.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Aug 7, 2010,
i'm kinda hoping that i die before i finish university so i wont have to decide
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Engineering. Lots of cool kids in engineering these days.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I'm majoring in advertising with an emphasis on graphic design. I want to be an art director or a designer.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ive got very basic qualifications, now im working on a building site doing manual labour for the same pay that somebody with advanced higher qualifications would be getting right now for doing whatever somebody with advanced higher qualifications does! As snide as it sounds, if you find horrible work for really good pay, just go for it, its money at the end of the day!
Quote by onimacaroni
As snide as it sounds, if you find horrible work for really good pay, just go for it, its money at the end of the day!

It's good to a point, while you're young; you wouldn't want to do it for the rest of your working life.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
It's good to a point, while you're young; you wouldn't want to do it for the rest of your working life.

Yeah this If you're in college or high school, I can see it working.

After that, things have obviously been going downhill

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I'm in my second year of college and a Spanish major. Right now I'm planning on becoming a certified teacher and teaching Spanish, but I could see myself doing tons of other things with Spanish.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by seemeel

Well the threadstarter is young, so that why im suggesting it! Obviously i dont want to do this the rest of my life, but for now its really good! Im not saying just be a manual labourer either, do a course to drive a forklift or a excavator on a building site and (over here at least) your never out of work!
Gonna get a degree in Psychology, spend some time in the Texas police, then join the FBI. They don't care what you major in as long as you have some kind of degree.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
You really don't need to know what you want to be going into college, unless you plan to go to a specialized school. Some of my friends didn't even decide on a major until the end of this last semester, which was our sophomore year. You have plenty of time to explore some possibilities in college.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I am also thinking of being a lawyer but for a degree,I am studying accountant which is a career with good employment possibilities if I ever decide not to be a lawyer,and I could also continue to do a master's and a doctorate to raise my chances of being employed at better payment.
I have no clue. I graduated from high school early, started going to college, then dropped out because I needed to work more hours to support myself. I've only just got into the position where I can pay all of my bills while going to school full time, and I think I'm headed into a math-y sort of direction. or mycology, or virology, or sign language translation, or writing, or all of the numerous other possible careers paths that I can't possibly choose from since I'm so erratic in my thought processes and am unable to stick to one thing for any significant period of time.

math seems the easiest, though.
My dream job is (of course) to be a musician. I LOVE music, and if at anytime, no music is playing, I have to pat a beat on my legs (and with my feet) or hum, sing, or whistle something.

Other choices:
1. Pro Skateboarder
2. Music Teacher
3. Working as a salesman for a music or skate company (or any other company position. (working in a music/skateshop))

I am going to college and getting a masters in music.
Last edited by YesterdaysToday at Aug 7, 2010,
Computer Science at university in September, to go on to hopefully be a games programmer. If not, some other programming job at somewhere that will likely make more money but be more boring.

On the side I'd like to start dealing in property though, to bolster my income.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kilobyte
Computer Science at university in September, to go on to hopefully be a games programmer. If not, some other programming job at somewhere that will likely make more money but be more boring.

On the side I'd like to start dealing in property though, to bolster my income.

I'm hoping to do pretty much the same thing. The university I'm going to has a dedicated video game development major, so I'm doing that and then possibly a double major in comp sci, depending on how it goes.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Quote by Ajax413
I'm hoping to do pretty much the same thing. The university I'm going to has a dedicated video game development major, so I'm doing that and then possibly a double major in comp sci, depending on how it goes.

I had trouble choosing between the dedicated games courses or a traditional CS one, but I figured I can do CS for three/four years, then there's a 1 year Master's course in games programming I can do at the University of Hull (assuming my plans haven't changed by then).

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I'm pretty sure this thread's been done over 9000 times but, meh:
Civil Engineering.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I notice the Pit has a lot of college types... whatever happened to the stereotypical Beavis and Butthead lazy stupid metalhead kid?

EDIT: Not that it's a bad thing, just the contrast is kind of funny.
Last edited by CaptDin at Aug 7, 2010,
Lawyer as well. I'm going to do my undergrad majoring in History so I pretty much have to make it through law school.
There's also my dream job, but I'd need a crap load of money before hand to pull it off. It's an idea me, dad and his cousin had. I wanna buy out some old movie theater that's been abandoned. I wanna clear out the seats there and turn into a bar/pizza parlor. The movie playin' will be whatever I wanna watch, and we'll roll up the curtain sometimes and get a comedian or a band or a whatever to play. Then, if I get even more money from that, I wanna open up a used game, movie and music store right next door. That'd be nice.
I design bioreactors for Nasa.

Originally, I wanted to do food processing or biofuels, but that was not meant to be.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
OT: I'm going through tech school to become an auto mechanic, hopefully. Even though I'm never gonna give up on being a bodacious rock star.
Quote by cornmancer
There's also my dream job, but I'd need a crap load of money before hand to pull it off. It's an idea me, dad and his cousin had. I wanna buy out some old movie theater that's been abandoned. I wanna clear out the seats there and turn into a bar/pizza parlor. The movie playin' will be whatever I wanna watch, and we'll roll up the curtain sometimes and get a comedian or a band or a whatever to play. Then, if I get even more money from that, I wanna open up a used game, movie and music store right next door. That'd be nice.

Speaking of theaters, I really wish someone would open a drive-in theater. There's a bunch of old ones around here that have never been cleared.... it wouldn't be hard to renovate one and get it running again.

Just a random thought.
I'm planning on majoring in Environmental Science and, ideally, moving up to Canada and work for a government agency in the field. Whether or not that plays out is a whole other question.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by CephalidHunter
I design bioreactors for Nasa.

Originally, I wanted to do food processing or biofuels, but that was not meant to be.

Wait you REALLY work for NASA?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by slipknot5678
This is one of many reasons I know I can't survive in society. I kind of hope I don't live to be an adult.

Not to sound condescending, but you're only like 15. It's just a matter of finding something you enjoy doing, and then do it. It can be music, but if you go down that route it's a good idea to have a backup plan. Actually, that's a good idea anyway. Just some food for thought.
Well, my plan is to get a Bachelor's Science degree in Electrical Engineering with a minor in Jazz Performance, then go to grad school to get a Masters in Acoustic Engineering. From there, we'll see. My dream (aside from performing for a living) is to design and build my own electronically based instruments. Reality is I'll probably work for some audio company like Bose or Shure. Maybe I'll get my PhD somewhere along the line too.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I'm majoring in chemical engineering with a minor in nuclear engineering. I want to engineer shit.

But really, I'd like to help engineer the next generation of nuclear power plants in the United States.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
I plan on being an accountant. I must be the most boring person ever
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
Well, my plan is to get a Bachelor's Science degree in Electrical Engineering with a minor in Jazz Performance, then go to grad school to get a Masters in Acoustic Engineering. From there, we'll see. My dream (aside from performing for a living) is to design and build my own electronically based instruments. Reality is I'll probably work for some audio company like Bose or Shure. Maybe I'll get my PhD somewhere along the line too.

Electrical Engineering is teh best,

i am an electrical engineer, but i mainly do street and exterior lighting design
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Even after I swore I wouldn't become one, I kinda want to teach history. I actually enjoy history and I would kinda like to help people so it kinda fits. (Yes, this is a "kinda" filled post.)
I pride myself on my humility.
I don't really know what I want to do as a career or major in at college. I like studying languages, I will probably take Russian in college, maybe even get a minor in it.

I've considered some sort of engineering, maybe civil or environmental. I might do something with environmental studies. But I also like English, which could take me into a very different field.
As of now, majoring and History and becoming a teacher is probably the most reasonably and likely option. Plus you can be a writer and stuff with a history degree. But i've still got a year of high school left, no worries.

My dream job is a late night talk show host.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I've gone back and forth with these things throughout the 3 years I've been in college, but I think I've settled on my final plan now.

I want to study audio engineering and computer design, with music composition on the side.

My dream career, besides being in a successful band and performing/recording, would be to work as a game designer creating the story, sound, and design. My top companies would be BioWare or Blizzard Entertainment, but whatever is cool works. I also wouldn't mind working in the movie industry doing the same things.
Page 1 of 3