I'm in the market for a guitar with humbuckers and although I wasn't considering something this cheap, I found a 2007 gibson melody maker that has been modded. Here is the ad description:

Customized Gibson melody maker, body was professionally routed for 2 pickups, Vintage Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups out of an '81 Gibson Sonex, custom pickguard, Vintage Les Paul truss rod cover and Gibson gold tuners, Vintage Schaller adjustable bridge, amazing playing and sounding guitar, recent strings and setup. don't have time to play anymore, never gigged, in great shape, comes with original box and Schecter hardshell case. $550.00 O.B.O. need it gone this weekend!!!

I know some people will say "if it feels right to you.." blah blah. I know. But I want to hear some opinions. How much is this worth realistically? I'm mostly out for the good deals so I need to make sure it's worth my time before going to see it. Also, how do these guitars play in general?

any opinions would be much appreciated!
Melody Makers... not generally the most liked guitars around. You could do better for the money, I reckon.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Melody Makers... not generally the most liked guitars around. You could do better for the money, I reckon.

+1
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
I emailed the guy and he told me he would take $450 Canadian (437 USD). But I'm really not sure what it's worth..
I never played one, but I saw one in a Sam Ash once, and it looked like they didn't even finish it. It looked pretty nasty.

I think SYK has one of the originals, and he likes it. You might want to ask him about it.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
The Melody Maker is a great guitar the way it is made. Better then the crappy imports people here drool over. That said, I will not pay a penny for mods people make to a guitar. If you want one you can get it for a better price new. If you want a Les Paul you can find a used one for the same money.But in the end it is your choice. It should play and feel great in hand. I can not comment on sound since my MM is stock has a kick ass unique tone and I have no intention of changing a thing.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
The Melody Maker is a great guitar the way it is made. Better then the crappy imports people here drool over. That said, I will not pay a penny for mods people make to a guitar. If you want one you can get it for a better price new. If you want a Les Paul you can find a used one for the same money.But in the end it is your choice. It should play and feel great in hand. I can not comment on sound since my MM is stock has a kick ass unique tone and I have no intention of changing a thing.

This- the melody makers are exceptional value for money in terms of what you're getting - a bare-bones, no-frills, decent quality guitar. It's not much to look at, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that companies like schecter offer - but it's a solid, functional guitar. simple but effective.

But you shouldn't be paying more than the retail price for modifications - because modifications reduce the resale value.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
New Melody makers are now going for close to $500.00. I have one and they're not bad guitars at all if you know how to use the tone control and adjust the stock pickup. They have sort of a Telecaster type tone to them and compliment both of my Fender Strats quite nicely. Seeing that the one in the photo has 2 Dirty Fingers and a new pickguard and the owner is only asking what, $500.00 or so? I would go for it. The Dirty Finger pups kick ass and are great for Metal and Hard Rock. That looks like a sweet deal and if I were you, I'd go and get it before it's too late!
The bridge looks a bit off...

maybe i'm just seeing things
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Quote by Blompcube
This- the melody makers are exceptional value for money in terms of what you're getting - a bare-bones, no-frills, decent quality guitar. It's not much to look at, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that companies like schecter offer - but it's a solid, functional guitar. simple but effective.

But you shouldn't be paying more than the retail price for modifications - because modifications reduce the resale value.

This. For the most part, I wouldn't buy a modded guitar for more than they cost new. I mean, if you play it a like it, it is different than a new one and looks pretty good. You'll just have to try and get him down on the price.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Honestly, that's a fair price and that guitar looks AWESOME. With that upgraded bridge you can adjust your intonation much better than with the original bridge. Those humbuckers are sweeeet too, so I say go for it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
One of the virtues of a stock Melody Maker is that there's nothing else out there quite like them. They sound a bit like a bright P90. Once you get past the looks/finish thing and home in on the sound and playability they can be addictive. I paid $300 this past May for a used one. I certainly wouldn't pay $450 for one that Bubba has modified.

If you want dual humbuckers you have all kinds of options in the $450-$500 price range. I see used Gibson Faded SG's all the time for $400-$500, but if you want a Melody Maker then get an unmodified one.
i have a vintage sunburst MM that i dropped SeymourDuncan single coil sized humbuckers into. Believe it or not, out of my tube marshall class5, it is a bit toooooo heavy for classic rock and light overdrive. The thing is too heavy to do ac/dc! The thing is FIERCE!

I have a stock one as well that covers everything up to heavy rock (hence the prior mods)

un-modded you can usually find a stock 2007 dual pup model for ~$400

2 pup models were only made in 2007 and then production ceased. Collectible, much?

Honestly if you can test it out, do so. But give this under-rated guitar its due!
This is an old thread... pretty sure he either has/hasn't bought the guitar by now.

... but Melody Makers are nice.
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....