Well... im a Bassist. I can play allright. I dont know how you would judge my skills but i can play stuff like Hysteria, Killing in the Name, Schism, The Pot, Iron Tusks and many more but these are my bests i believe. All of which i would say i can play flawlessly on a goog day. so I self consider myself Intermediate, or hell maybe just a novice. but anyways... im not really what u would consider a wealthy bassist so this is a bit of a problem for me.

I need Equipment, but i dont know whats good, right now I have a Peavey 158Max Bass amp, Vintage Fender Squier Precision Bass, First act ME106, Ernie Ball Power slinky Strings for finger strength and less floppy strings when in lower tunings. as you see pretty basic equipment. I play a lot of different genres but im more into metal. i play with a pick. i have a digitech Grunge pedal of my brothers that is good for like hysteria and iron tusks and distorted songs. and a zoom 606 effects pedal for all sorts of effects but i dont like it that much its a bit boring but dont mind that.

but i dont know that much about equipment. when it comes to Fuzz and distortion i can sit tight for a while. but i really would like a pedal that makes my bass sound more smoother and beuitful instead of just normal and boring either something sounding really blues-y or smooth and pretty or a pedal for like the metallic sound or wierd eerie sounds like that clean sound some bassists use in metal songs when it gets quiet. (i have an example from a local band called Legacy Kills) but im not sure if i could send it to anyone if they would like to hear it if you can explain to me how to do it id be glad to try and send it to you. i dont know just smooth like the intro of bombtrack by rage against the machine. cause when i turn the tone down all the way its hard to hear the actuall notes.

but remember im not very wealthy so i need something either cheap, long lasting or so great its worth the money. if someone can help me i would really be Greatful.

also can someone define some of these words:
Treble
Sustain
Octave
on my amp it has Low, Mid, High what exactly does that effect i have a pretty good feeling but im not sure.

Quote by Brent the Bass

also can someone define some of these words:
Treble
Sustain
Octave
on my amp it has Low, Mid, High what exactly does that effect i have a pretty good feeling but im not sure.

At very least, you could have used google for these dude, rather than dumping this basic theory stuff on us. Bad form.

Treble - opposite of bass; high notes!
Sustain - how long a string vibrates for when you pluck it
Octave - a note that is one octave higher is twice the frequency of the reference note. Or 12 semitones/frets higher.

Low, Mid and High are your amp's EQ settings - experiment with these to figure out what they do. It's different for every amp.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Do you know which notes are where? That's something you should practice learning. Use your multiFX to experiment with things that you aren't sure about, perhaps phaser, chorus, delay, reverb, etc. But yeah, are there more questions you have?

As for smooth, can you post a clip of a song?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I cant get a good sample but:

Bombtrack by Rage Against the Machine intro
Delirium Trigger by Coheed and Cambria
Time Consumer by Coheed and Cambria
Quote by Brent the Bass
i have an example from a local band called Legacy Kills) but im not sure if i could send it to anyone if they would like to hear it if you can explain to me how to do it id be glad to try and send it to you.

http://www.myspace.com/legacykillsband

this band?

if so which song/part?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
For smooth, play using fingers close(r) to the neck. If you don't like rolling your tone off, try turning the treble down a little bit and maybe boost your mids, depending on where they're centred.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

the song 100 yards at about 38 seconds the errie bass line.
a lot of bands have this similar sound.
Last edited by Brent the Bass at Aug 8, 2010,
for early coheed, I say use the bridge pick up, full tone, boost mids, cut highs. You could get an EQ pedal and have it set for a smooth tone and then just kick it on when you want to sound like that.

that 100 yards song doesn't sound like anything special to me..
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....