Hey I need a little help. I'm about to buy a new amp and I am really interested in the Vox sound. I play mostly blues influenced music like early beatles/stones and some Eric Clapton.
Ok so my question is which amp is "better" The Vox AC15 C1 Tube Amp or the Vox AC30 VR Valve Reactor? They both priced in the $500-600 range and I have no idea which one to get. I need a gig worthy amp with plenty of tone controls. I want to be able to play thick sounding clean channel chords as well as powerful overdriven lead.
If you think there is a better Vox amp out there in the same price range (I've heard a lot about the Valvetronix lately) please let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tl;dr ---> get the AC30.

Okay, i did read - get the AC15, OR save your money and get a genuine AC30.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Out of those, I'd pick the AC15C1, it will give you that Vox you're looking for, unless what you're specifically looking for are AC30 tones. In that case, the AC15 is different in tone from the AC30. I haven't tried the AC30VR (which is a hybrid amp unlike the AC15), so I can't talk on those. But the AC15 is a great amp.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
I would like to save my money and get the AC30 (almost said AC130, I guess I have played too much Modern Warfare 2) but i am in pretty desperate need of an amp right now. My fender frontman 10g isn't cutting it any more and I would really hate to buy a $200 amp just to turn around and buy the AC30 in a few months.
Quote by weehunt112
I would like to save my money and get the AC30 (almost said AC130, I guess I have played too much Modern Warfare 2) but i am in pretty desperate need of an amp right now. My fender frontman 10g isn't cutting it any more and I would really hate to buy a $200 amp just to turn around and buy the AC30 in a few months.

I would, if I were you. If you grit your teeth and smile through the horror of the Frontman, you will be richly rewarded with one of the most recognisable amps ever! The AC30 is a true rock icon! Honestly, you would be well served to do it. Maybe borrow some money if you absolutely cannot wait.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Honestly I'm pretty sure those new voxs are made in china, and dont really sound much like the originals. They are pretty good but you can do better for the money.

If your looking for EL84 tone check out the fender blues junior or pro junior.

If your willing to spend a bit more (the amp is about 1100$) you will get a lot more with the hand wired Traynor YGM-3 reissue. Its freaking amazing, it kinda sounds like a blackface but it has its own unique tone and it has EL84 out put.

If i were you i'd save the extra cash and grab the traynor. That thing is a freaking beast. Its made in north america (toronto, canada). Hand wired. No master. Volume, lows, highs, reverb and tremolo I think.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Last edited by manipulator70 at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by manipulator70
Honestly I'm pretty sure those new voxs are made in china, and dont really sound much like the originals. They are pretty good but you can do better for the money.

If your looking for EL84 tone check out the fender blues junior or pro junior.

If your willing to spend a bit more (the amp is about 1100$) you will get a lot more with the hand wired Traynor YGM-3 reissue. Its freaking amazing, it kinda sounds like a blackface but it has its own unique tone and it has EL84 out put.

If i were you i'd save the extra cash and grab the traynor. That thing is a freaking beast. Its made in north america (toronto, canada). Hand wired. No master. Volume, lows, highs, reverb and tremolo I think.

I checked the features in the AC15 and it says it uses the EL84s. I don't know very much about amps at all but are these going to give me the classic vox tone?
Let's be careful though - the classic vox tone starts with EL84s, but that's not the only factor. A Fender blues/pro junior has EL84s but won't get you anywhere near what an AC15 or AC30 sounds like, and nobody's ever going to mistake it for an overdriven Vox. The YGM-3, again, has EL84s but is not going to sound like a Vox. In this price range, if you want a Vox, you get a Vox.

The AC15 is not as user-friendly as the AC30, considering the lower headroom and a less forgiving EQ. However, if that's the tone you're looking for, and 15 watts is enough power for you, it's a great amp. Get used to the EQ and you're all set.
Well it's either A. an EF86 through el84s with minimal negative feedback loop for Classic AC15.
B. EF86 through 4 el84s and 12ax7s in the topboost circuit for classic ac30
C. 2 channel 12ax7 with top boost for newer ac30.

but the vox circuit like Colin said is not the same as the standard fender/marshall derivative circuit. However, classic ac sounds do require el84s at the very least.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Ok i've been thinking it over. Would it make a lot more sense to save the extra $400 and get the AC30 C2? I'm trying to budget my money so I can get a new guitar (Hopefully an American Strat) and an Amp but I think I'd rather get a really good amp and wait a few more months on the strat.
Is the AC30C2 significantly better than the AC15?
Quote by weehunt112
Ok i've been thinking it over. Would it make a lot more sense to save the extra $400 and get the AC30 C2? I'm trying to budget my money so I can get a new guitar (Hopefully an American Strat) and an Amp but I think I'd rather get a really good amp and wait a few more months on the strat.
Is the AC30C2 significantly better than the AC15?

Just save for the AC30. It is totally worth it. What guitar do you have now?
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
The AC30 is a spectacular amplifier. Totally classic tone. Worth the extra time/savings it will take to aquire one. Too many people buy "throwaway" amps today. Don't do that.
A real AC30.

That said, if you're after Clapton tones, it won't get you there.

You need a Marshall 1974 circuit for that.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by guitarzephyr
Just save for the AC30. It is totally worth it. What guitar do you have now?

Epiphone Dot right now.