Everyone pretty much agrees that the Vypyr tube series is much better than the normal Vypyr series.

How? It's one (one) preamp tube. That's essentially nothing. That would do next to nothing for high gain AFAIK, meaning it would still sound digital. I could see some bluesy tones sounding better but...how does one preamp tube justify the large price difference? How could it possibly change the tone?

Seems like a marketing scam.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
The vyper tube also has a tube power amp if i remember correctly but at the heart of it all yes it still is just a digital modeller.
Have you actually heard the difference? At guitar center they tend to have both amps next to each other and when playing them back to back you can certainly hear a difference. Of course you are right the difference in sound does not equate to the difference in price. But manufacturing cost probably changes enough.
Well now I feel dumb for asking, but does that really make much of a difference considering a large portion of the preamp process is solid-state? What does it actually do for the tone?

I haven't been able to hear both of them side by side...local shops only sell Marshall and Fender amps...lol.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
Well now I feel dumb for asking, but does that really make much of a difference considering a large portion of the preamp process is solid-state? What does it actually do for the tone?

I haven't been able to hear both of them side by side...local shops only sell Marshall and Fender amps...lol.

Obviously it'll warm the tone up a tad but the heart of it is still a modeller and will sound as such.
Quote by Ayses

Turn it up and you'll hear the difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
yes of course a tube power section will make a big difference.

having a modeling preamp is the same as running a bunch of digital effects and stompboxes and what not through a tube power amp. It's much better then running all of that through a solid state power amp. Plus it's got the one 12ax7 in their as well running the final stage of the preamp section.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Hmmm I wanna get a tube 120 and will the tube make the sound clarity better at higher volumes thennbcause that is really important
Started with a westcoast
Then bought a line 6 spider 111
Then got a epiphone jimmy page
Then a ESP kh-2 for 600 mint because the shop forgot their real value
Quote by Tascouts120
Hmmm I wanna get a tube 120 and will the tube make the sound clarity better at higher volumes thennbcause that is really important

It won't add clarity, it will add warmth, harmonics and more compression.

Clarity comes from having a balanced frequency response, as well as the right amount of gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
neither of which are as great as people on this site boast it to be. Tube or no tubes, it's still an entry level practice modeling amp.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
^buzzkill

The Vypyr 60 with the tube power section sounds a lot better than the 75 to me. The power tube section really helps by adding more warmth, depth and harmonics. The preamp tube is used as a phase inverter. I'm pretty sure most of the rest of the preamp is analog not digital.
To be honest, It sounds like you just need to play them side to side and see for yourself as no amount of text is going to convince you otherwise.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by handbanana
neither of which are as great as people on this site boast it to be. Tube or no tubes, it's still an entry level practice modeling amp.

not surprising but from what this site says the vypyr's are on par with the roland cubes, which means they are vastly superior to anything marshall, fender, or line6 has out in the cheap SS market.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
not surprising but from what this site says the vypyr's are on par with the roland cubes, which means they are vastly superior to anything marshall, fender, or line6 has out in the cheap SS market.

True, and one of my cat's shit doesn't smell as bad as the others. I still don't want it on my carpet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification