Poll: Quality of character vs quality of life?
Poll Options
View poll results: Quality of character vs quality of life?
I'd rather be a good person
29 60%
I'd rather have a good personal life
19 40%
Voters: 48.
So, a dear friend and I last night were having a deep conversation about how, of the people we know, the asshats generally have good lives (we used the example of one of our old teachers, who was a total bitch but had a fantastic life), while people who are generally good live miserable lives.

I boldly stated that I'd rather be miserable and be a good person than vice versa (I feel like this is already true).

So, Pit, what say you?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Aug 7, 2010,
Those asshats only have good lives because they have confidence. You can be a good guy and have confidence at the same time yanno?

That asside I'd rather have a good personal life than a miserable one

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by El Hilliaro
Those asshats only have good lives because they have confidence. You can be a good guy and have confidence at the same time yanno?

That asside I'd rather have a good personal life than a miserable one

I know they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but my friend and I noticed this general trend in our lives.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I'd rather have a good life and be an asshole. That's pretty much how it is with me anyway.
I had a teacher like yours funnily enough, miserable old bitch with lots of money.
She retired, 2 weeks later got hit by a car and cant walk anymore.

Kinda shite to make fun of her for it, but it seems karma has a way of sorting stuff out!
I'm an asshole with a perfect life; I get what I want, I don't work for anything, and I have never helped anybody else.

I'd rather be the opposite.
im not gunna go and say my life sucks but it hasnt exactly been easy... i feel like im generally a good person
@HeWent2Jared_
I'm a good person for the most part and I can't complain about my life.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Those "asshats," as you put it, only live happier lives because they arent afraid to step on other people to get their own happiness.

OT: I run the middle ground. I will not hesitate to make a decision that will cause mild misfortune to another and moderate happiness for me. While if given the chance to cause moderate misfortune to another and mild happiness for myself, I'll pass.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by YesterdaysToday
Id rather be a good person.

And my life is shit right now.

word. I'd prefer not to buy my friends. heh, I couldn't if I wanted to.

but, I wouldn't hesitate to crush those who may be in my way to...well, wherever it is I'm going.

I also wouldn't exactly say my life is shit, more like my life is stressful. I have a place to live and enough food for me to maintain my robustness, so it's not all that bad.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 7, 2010,
I'd like to think of myself as a good person, in that I tend to put others before myself. While my life has been pretty ok, I'm a strong believer of karma, and will continue to do things to put other people's happiness before my own.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
I'd like to think of myself as a good person, in that I tend to put others before myself. While my life has been pretty ok, I'm a strong believer of karma, and will continue to do things to put other people's happiness before my own.
I'm the same. But given the parameters of the situation, it sounds like karma will play no role and that by doing good and being a good person, you won't get shit in return. So if that's the case, then I'm afraid I would be selfish and put my welfare before 99% of everyone else's.
How does being polite equal a good person? Cuz that's what I get from the OP and the poll choice "I'd rather be a good person".
I don't necessarily agree with the threadstarter that there's any connection between how good a person you are and the quality of your life simply because it's based on nothing but anecdotal evidence. We all know there are plenty of rich assholes as well as poor good samaritans, but there are also literally millions of poor people who are completely worthless to society, who steal from convenience stores and who would rob anyone for crack. Likewise, there are plenty of millionaires who sincerely attempt to make a positive impact on the world.

I personally know a girl whose father works in electrical engineering and makes enough money that her mother doesn't have to work, they've raised three kids and put them all through college, and they live very comfortably with pretty much all the conveniences they want, yet this girl is probably one of the nicest and honest people I know. It's all just anecdotal evidence.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I'd rather be a good person and live a miserable life than be someone I can't respect. Every time.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
A "good life" doesn't necessarily mean happiness. Altruism is one of the few things that genuinely cause happiness, apparently.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
You know, I bet if you got to know some of those people, their lives aren't as wonderful as you'd think. Stepping on people? Who are they stepping on? I think a lot of the people in this thread don't know the people they are referring to as asshats on a non-superficial level, and assume things.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Screw everyone else in this world, you either screw people over or get screwed over. You might as well be on the greener grass.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, I bet if you got to know some of those people, their lives aren't as wonderful as you'd think. Stepping on people? Who are they stepping on? I think a lot of the people in this thread don't know the people they are referring to as asshats on a non-superficial level, and assume things.

I agree with this post. I'd also like to add: define good life, define good person, define what you consider an asshat. Just seems like you're basing everything off of how much fun a person appears to be having.