Hey guys, I'm just looking for some help with my setup.

I've currently got a Peavey 6505+ head and I'm using my peavey valveking speakers as a cab until i can get something better.

My settings are something like:
Bass: 6
Mids: 5
Treble: 6

Resonance:10
Presence:6
Gain: between 4-5

I'm also using an ns-2, and that's about it. I just feel like i'm not getting the ballsy tone I hear from other 6505+'s, and it's bothering me. Is it all because of the cab I'm using? Would an EQ help a lot? The other guitarist in my band has a digitech rp150 he's not using and I see that it has an EQ on it, would using that help or is it not a really good EQ to use? If so, what kind of EQ should I set on it?

I'm also using a schecter hellraiser with EMG 81/89 in drop A# if that helps.
Yes. Valveking speakers are awful. Muddy, dark, undefined, you name it, that's the VK speakers.

Get a new speaker cabinet before you start worrying about an equalizer pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Also get a tubescreamer, or a Boss SD-1, with an OD infront of your amp it will become a lot tighter.
Well see I've tried using the bad monkey I have in front of my amp, but I get awful feedback. Will I get the same effect with any other OD or is it just my pedal? It sounded great when I used to use it with my valveking.
It could be your setup. Maybe a microphonic preamp tube. Keep in mind when you activate the Bad Monkey, you're going to have to turn the gain on the amp down.

The BM won't give you more clarity, though, it just gives you more gain and tightens the amp.

Again, I recommend dispensing of the Valveking cab. There's a reason the speaker swap is so highly recommended for Valveking users, and it's because the Valveking speaker is crap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 7, 2010,
Alright, thanks for the help. and if I did decide to get an EQ, what kind of settings would I use? just boost mids or do the opposite and boost bass and treble?
The best thing to do with an EQ is play with it until you find a sound you like. There's nothing clear cut about a graphic EQ like boosting bass or mids, as the frequencies are very specific. It's not like a guitar amp where you have control of a range of frequencies (parametric EQs not withstanding)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Kryaxysa
Alright, thanks for the help. and if I did decide to get an EQ, what kind of settings would I use? just boost mids or do the opposite and boost bass and treble?

Get a proper OD before en EQ. I've never used the bad monkey, but you're supposed to have the gain really low on the amp, and unison on the pedal. The drive on the pedal should be little to none, about 8-9 o'clock, not sure how to tweak the other two buttons on the bad monkey, and it might be one of those pedals with a smoother mid curve (no good).
roll you're resonance back to 6 or 7, drop the mids back to 4, bass at 7, and the treble to 8-9
see how that sounds

also like said, change the speakers or get a new cab!(would suggest just selling it and getting a new cab) and get rid of the NS-2. They are horrible tone suckers. Get your hands on an ISP Decimator, or Rocktron Hush if you want a noise gate. Preferably the decimator. I have one and its REAL true bypass, unlike the NS-2. Doesn't suck any tone out. I bet the NS-2 is sucking a lot of your tone out, along with those vk speakers.

I wouldn't suggest using the bad monkey or the digitech RP. the rp is the cheapest dumbest multiout there. And the bad monkey will get you to a good crunchy overdrive at best, not a high gain pedal.

Look at a tubescreamer, Boss Metal Core(not metal zone), or maybe an EHX Big Muff if you like a lot of low end fuzz

also how are your tubes?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
roll you're resonance back to 6 or 7, drop the mids back to 4, bass at 7, and the treble to 8-9
see how that sounds

also like said, change the speakers or get a new cab!(would suggest just selling it and getting a new cab) and get rid of the NS-2. They are horrible tone suckers. Get your hands on an ISP Decimator, or Rocktron Hush if you want a noise gate. Preferably the decimator. I have one and its REAL true bypass, unlike the NS-2. Doesn't suck any tone out. I bet the NS-2 is sucking a lot of your tone out, along with those vk speakers.

I wouldn't suggest using the bad monkey or the digitech RP. the rp is the cheapest dumbest multiout there. And the bad monkey will get you to a good crunchy overdrive at best, not a high gain pedal.

Look at a tubescreamer, Boss Metal Core(not metal zone), or maybe an EHX Big Muff if you like a lot of low end fuzz

also how are your tubes?

I'll definitely try out your settings that you're recommending when I can play next. and do you really think that the ns-2 is sucking out that much tone? I see tons of pros who use them. And I wasn't planning to use the bad monkey for my distortion, seeing as how i'm using an amp that has balls amount of distortion already. I would use it for an OD with the level maxed out. and I wouldn't use the RP for distortion or anything either, just EQ and some delay and reverb possibly.

I'll probably look into a tubescreamer nonetheless though.

Oh, and I think the tubes are alright. It's maybe a 3 month old amp.
yeah i like my TS9 a lot, but i'm thinking now it doesn't work to well with my 5150 for an already overdriven distortion. I actually hooked up the TS9, and a Boss OD-3 together, and it actually sounded kinda cool. Since the TS9 is just all like overdriven warmth and gives it that snap. While the OD-3 had sort of a more natural overdrive, the two together made a pretty cool high gain metal tone through the 5150. But since changing tubes I decided it sounds better without both of them.

And I remember going into guitar center like 6 months ago look at a digitech RP, so I plugged it in, spent about 20 minutes playing around with it. Was very confusing, but I eventually kind of got the hang of it. The reverb kind of sucked to be honest, and none of the other effects really impressed me, except maybe some of the delays, but I would say they were mediocre at best. I then plugged in a used TS9 that was in the case, Played it for 5 and loved the warmth. Sounds great for overdriving a clean channel.

And yeah, the NS-2 is notorious for being a tonesucker
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 8, 2010,
NS-2 does suck some tone yes and i admit its not as good as an ISP decimator but in no way is it "awful." lots of pros use the NS-2 and in reality its more than adequate. in other words, the NS-2 is probably not your problem unless you have the threshold turned up more than 3/4.

as for an OD I wouldn't really worry too much about one because 6505's/5150's are already tight. especially with the 6505+ version because its higher mid focused unlike the standard 6505 which benefits more from the OD.

try turning your resonance down to 7-8ish and perhaps turn your pregain up a little closer to 6. when the gain on the 6505+ is closer to 6 it becomes a lot more powerful and thick.

the problem more than likely lies with your crappy speakers/cab. if you're using your VK amp speakers then not only are the speakers not very good but its also an open back (unless you're using a VK 4x12 cab). before getting an EQ (which is helpful) i'd first get a nice cab with some v30's in it.

i would stay away from the digi RP if it is not at or above the 500 series it will suck your tone quite a lot.
Put your Peavey on top of a good cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s. It makes a very big difference.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i actually keep my resonance between 5-6 and my prescence 6-7
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
I have one and its REAL true bypass

Wow, do you work for marketing at one of those sham pedal companies that sell overpriced pedals? The only reason people think that the NS-2 is a tonesucker is because they don't know how the **** to dial in a pedal with more than one knob.