First of all, what is Bypass? True bypass, buffer bypass? I don't know any of these. Someone explain it to me please?

And what are these mods.. keeley.. and IDK what the others are called. I am very confused. All I know about effect pedals is how to configure it by the knobs and you stomp them with your feet and the effect goes. srsly. IDK any of these. someone explain please
'bypass' refers to the pedal in its unpowered (off) state.

'True bypass' means, when the pedal is turned off, the circuit is completely bypassed. Namely, your signal does not pass through the pedal's circuit, instead going directly from the input to the output by wire. True bypass is often lauded as retaining one's tonal characteristics, because you don't hear the pedal's circuit coloring your tone. True bypass pedals also let the signal through regardless of whether the pedal has power (whether by battery or adapter) or not. So if your pedal's battery is dead and you're still plugged into it, if it's true bypass, you'll still be able to hear yourself at the amp.

True bypass is not automatically better than buffered bypass, though. If your entire pedal chain consists of true bypass pedals, and you have alot of them, you will experience a massive drop off in treble because your signal degrades over long distances of cabling and wire.

A pedal mod is a modification of a pedal's circuit, either adding or subtracting components to change the functionality, sound or quality of the pedal. With distortion pedals, it's to change the characteristic sound, for more gain, less gain, more bass, less bass, more controls, versatility, whatever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 7, 2010,
So true bypass means that you can turn on other effects other than that pedal and still works? I don't get it. Really. Explain in basic english please and what is bypass? lol sorry.
No, true bypass means that when you turn the pedal off, your signal does not go through the pedal's circuit. It just goes straight from input to output.

It also means that if the pedal does not have power and the pedal is turned off, it will still pass your unaffected guitar signal through.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by PurpleHatchet
So true bypass means that you can turn on other effects other than that pedal and still works? I don't get it. Really. Explain in basic english please and what is bypass? lol sorry.

No, that happens with any pedals (if I'm understanding what you're saying properly)

True bypass means when the pedal is off, your signal will go straight from the input jack to the output jack (through the switch)

Buffered bypass means when the pedal is off, the signal goes from the input to a buffer (stops loss of high frequencies with long cables), then to the output jack. Some cheap pedals have badly designed buffers that will reduce your signal quality, but good buffers are very transparent and wont affect your tone adversely.
Oh I get it now! Thanks! Well what about those tuners with bypass and when you turn it on it mutes? Is that called bypass?
No, that's called muting. Bypass just means that the signal ignores the circuit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
EDIT Nvm, the drawing doesn't translate to the actual post...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.