Page 1 of 2
The story:

So i went to a local store with my dad and i showed him the 4x12 cab that i was suppose to get with a triple rec head from craigslist and he said that it was way to big and right next to it i showed him a orange 2x12 and he still said it was too big. I flat out told him that i would not go smaller than a 2x12 with a 150 watt head.
So now i'm planning on either asking him(craiglist guy) if i can buy just the head without the 4x12 cab and get a 2x12 instead or i could just sell the 4x12 and then buy the 2x12. (he says he is not willing to sell separate but idk we'll see)

The question: What speakers should i put in the 2x12? I realize i dont have a very wide variety of speakers that equal up to 150+. I was recommended Celestion: Classic Lead 80s, GG12K100s. G12K75 and G12K80s (i think idk something celestions 80's). Also i will be 90% ordering from avatarspeakers.com , so something from their would be nice. I will be getting the Tradition custom 2x12. Or i could buy cab their and order speakers from different site.

I'm mainly focused to High gain like Killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine, Trivium, Escape the fate, but i would like cleans to sounds decent, becasue i also play RHCP, Jimi hendrix etc. I dont know how mid gain stuff would be affected, but i guess i technically need a little bit of everything.

P.S thank Gumbilicious for informing me about Cabs and speakers! Helped me A LOT!
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 7, 2010,
Check out eminence too.

If you're using a triple rec ideally you'd want 300 watts but 200 should be safe.

If you're not cranking it at home then it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Eminence wizard, texas heat, swamp thang, lil texas, tonker, tonkerlite.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
Check out eminence too.

If you're using a triple rec ideally you'd want 300 watts but 200 should be safe.

If you're not cranking it at home then it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Eminence wizard, texas heat, swamp thang, lil texas, tonker, tonkerlite.

Thanks.
300 watt?? i thought it only needed to be like a little bit above what you amp is rated? like 200watt = 220-250 watt cab. I'll also try to ask the local shop if i can trade a 90s triple rectifier for a 90 dual rec.

I dont think i'll ever hit volume to 10. 5 is probably most i will ever go.

lol i just realized eminence speakers have very texan kinda names.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 7, 2010,
Well it depends. The triple rec is not meant to run hard on the power section so 150-200 should be alright. For older amps that needed full on power tube distortion it would be double the amps rating.

Basically, you won't run over 150 on the triple rec until you're at shit loosening levels so you should be fine.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Well it depends. The triple rec is not meant to run hard on the power section so 150-200 should be alright. For older amps that needed full on power tube distortion it would be double the amps rating.

Basically, you won't run over 150 on the triple rec until you're at shit loosening levels so you should be fine.

haha that made me chuckle. Thanks man helped me a lot. Btw is their any differnece between a 30 watt speaker than a 60 watt speaker? other than handing of the watts? Like will the 60 watt sound more bassier?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Yes, a speaker with more power handling will generally be warmer and a bit bassier sounding.

As far as proper power handling, 200W is definitely as low as I would go with a Dual rectifier. You really should have 250+, because a Dual rec will push around 225 full bore. It's unlikely that you'll ever play it that loud, but you don't want to be playing 200 watt speakers right at 200 watts all the time either.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, a speaker with more power handling will generally be warmer and a bit bassier sounding.

As far as proper power handling, 200W is definitely as low as I would go with a Dual rectifier. You really should have 250+, because a Dual rec will push around 225 full bore. It's unlikely that you'll ever play it that loud, but you don't want to be playing 200 watt speakers right at 200 watts all the time either.

yes I understand that, but i mean i didnt expect you would need double the power. So i mean In a estimate how high can a 150 watt amp go on a 160watt speaker power without having the chance of blowing the speakers ( example: volume on 7,8,9?)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 8, 2010,
anyone ?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Well assuming you have the gain at about 9'oclock and the master at 9'clock on the clean channel.

If your tone is clean, then crank the master until you get break up. It's right there. Probably a little more then half on the volume knob.

If you have the gain dimed it's whereever you run out of headroom. I'm not sure how to calculate that.
It depends on all your other settings, i.e. the loop setup and gain settings, but you're going to hit 150 watts by about 4-5 on the master volume.

150 watts is just the clean wattage. Tube amps typically put out 150-175% of their rated output, though some will outright double their advertised power.
oh alright thanks.

Me and my dad came up with this plan. I'm am going to ask the guy who is currently selling for 1200 to go down to 1000, and hopefully sell the cab to a store or on craigslist for 400$ and also trade the triple for a dual rec in the store( if they still have it).

I will probably end up spending 470$ for the cab. 270$ for the cab and around 200$ for 2 speakers. So for safety reasons i will probably just get some 150watt rated speakers so that will equal up to 300 watts or acutely if i end up getting the dual rec i will only need like 75 watts speakers or so?

I'm thinking i will get eminence speakers. This may be a big leap or thinking to far ahead but lets hope it works
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
dude why don't you just convince your dad that the head has to be run with that cab. Say it's a standard size and a 212 will blow up and burn the house down.
I don't see what's wrong with a 4x12, honestly. The footprint is the same size as a 2X12 and it's not going to make any difference volume wise. It seems pointless to mess around trying to sell it and end up downgrading the amp just so you can have a cab that's 15 inches shorter and may or may not damage your amp. Keep in mind that a 150W speaker makes a lot of sacrifices to get that much power handling and isn't going to sound like the V30s or whatever's in the cab it comes with.

I realize of course that I'm probably preaching to the choir and that you'd keep the 4x12 in a heartbeat if you could, but these are points you should bring up with your dad. The most practical option here, strange as it may seem to a non-guitarist, is to keep the 4x12. Both economically and musically, it's the better option.
Becasue i agree with him that the 4x12 will be way to big. I'll be having band practice once a week almost every week and i dont want to have to take that with me all the time. sure it will be awesome when i gig with it, but i mean i just dont think it worth the trouble.

But who knows once i acutely get it i might enjoy it. My dad just doesnt want to buy anything that will require 2 people. He would rather have me be able to transport stuff by my self. Also he isnt stupid haha. He knows that their are speakers that are made to handle high power and all.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Roc8995
I don't see what's wrong with a 4x12, honestly. The footprint is the same size as a 2X12 and it's not going to make any difference volume wise. It seems pointless to mess around trying to sell it and end up downgrading the amp just so you can have a cab that's 15 inches shorter and may or may not damage your amp. Keep in mind that a 150W speaker makes a lot of sacrifices to get that much power handling and isn't going to sound like the V30s or whatever's in the cab it comes with.

I realize of course that I'm probably preaching to the choir and that you'd keep the 4x12 in a heartbeat if you could, but these are points you should bring up with your dad. The most practical option here, strange as it may seem to a non-guitarist, is to keep the 4x12. Both economically and musically, it's the better option.

Yea this is a big problem right now. I just dont know if i will be able to pick up a 4x12 and put it into a car. For now i will have help but once i get a license and start driving i'll have to transport everything myself. Also doesn't help the face i am not very muscular lol.
Also i'm not worried about volume just about transportation.

P.s this like the only thread i've seen people recommend the 4x12 although i understand where you are coming from. Most threads their like YOU DONT NEED A 4X12 JUST GET A COMBO, but i guess in this case it is different.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
you're going to be losing a bunch of money trading around and grabbing other speakers and all that.

just grab the 412 and the triple rec and get a crappy 112 or 212 off clist for practice. lug your 412 out for shows.

you can set the mesa for half power as well. but i dunno. seems like a lot of effort. do you have stairs up and down your practice space? casters make everything pretty much easy. you just roll it around.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you're going to be losing a bunch of money trading around and grabbing other speakers and all that.

just grab the 412 and the triple rec and get a crappy 112 or 212 off clist for practice. lug your 412 out for shows.

you can set the mesa for half power as well. but i dunno. seems like a lot of effort. do you have stairs up and down your practice space? casters make everything pretty much easy. you just roll it around.

Well i do have stairs but i would obviously keep it downstairs. Only problem is getting the thing into my car by myself. Is there way to get it without breaking my back?

And i also dont like to leave my gear in someone elses house. It makes me feel unsafe especially when it is like 1500$ worth of gear. Oh btw how do you set the power in half? take out some tubes? I heard you couldnt do it with a 2 channel recs.

Also if everything works out the way it does i would be making money, but probably wont go all the way to plan, but if it did I would technically have around 120$ left over.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Shit, I wish I could have had a Mesa Triple Rec with a 412 at your age.

Are you gigging/in a band? If not, it's almost... Unnecessary, as you dad might put it.

even then, if you want such gear for teh bedroom br00ts, have at it.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
It's 100 pounds, you can heave-ho it into your car and down a flight of stairs once, then leave it there. Take the head with you, it's the expensive part and nobody's going to mess with a boring old speaker cab.

You can't really do half power, since it's got 6 power tubes, but you can pull two and then turn the impedance selector to 16 ohms (assuming the cab is 8). That will knock the wattage down a bit from missing two tubes, and then a bit more from the slight impedance mismatch. It's not going to be all that much less power though, so I'd just run it properly with a good cab.
Quote by CL/\SH
Shit, I wish I could have had a Mesa Triple Rec with a 412 at your age.

Are you gigging/in a band? If not, it's almost... Unnecessary, as you dad might put it.

even then, if you want such gear for teh bedroom br00ts, have at it.

haha yes i am very very very fortunate. I am seriously not taking this for granted at all. All i have done all summer is research every little detail haha.

And yes i am giging ( its not very steady giging but one month we have 4 gigs others its like 0.) our band is going to record soon but we are still a pretty new band.

Also the guy i am buying from we haven't been in contact for a month because he is out of a town and in a place with no internet and phone service ( some kind of church camp) and he is suppose to be back in august but idk what will happen. If this doesnt work out i am going to have a which amp thread soon. enjoy ! :P

I'm acutely sad to say i hope this deal doesnt work out becasue i feel like this is a very big step up. I'm using a vypyr 30 right now and from that going to a rectifier feels way to good for me. Idk i just dont want to have a ****ing awesome amp and have to worry that it is too powerful and stuff.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Roc8995
It's 100 pounds, you can heave-ho it into your car and down a flight of stairs once, then leave it there. Take the head with you, it's the expensive part and nobody's going to mess with a boring old speaker cab.

You can't really do half power, since it's got 6 power tubes, but you can pull two and then turn the impedance selector to 16 ohms (assuming the cab is 8). That will knock the wattage down a bit from missing two tubes, and then a bit more from the slight impedance mismatch. It's not going to be all that much less power though, so I'd just run it properly with a good cab.

Lol i weigh 145 pounds.

would it make a difference if it were a dual rec?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by AcousticMirror
Dual recs have a half power mode I think. I think my tremoverb had one.

no the 90's one dont. atleast i think. The newer ones do but i cant afford a 2 grand head. Also i've been told all the 3 channel dont sound as good as the 2 channel ones other than the 2010 version.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
A dual rec has four power tubes so half power is easy, just pull the two inner tubes and switch the impedance selector to twice what the cab is.

145 is fine, you can do it. It weighs less than you do, and you only have to move it once.
If you do end up going through with this deal, there are few ways to step up from that. Although, you might be just as happy were you to get something less expensive like the JCA100H and a nice 2x12

Have you looked at other deals on CL? Like a Dual Rec or Single Rec? Are you set on a Mesa? Just checking to see if you've looked at all other options, although a Triple Rec and a 4x12 recto cab is insanely good for a 1000 bucks.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
If you do end up going through with this deal, there are few ways to step up from that. Although, you might be just as happy were you to get something less expensive like the JCA100H and a nice 2x12

Have you looked at other deals on CL? Like a Dual Rec or Single Rec? Are you set on a Mesa? Just checking to see if you've looked at all other options, although a Triple Rec and a 4x12 recto cab is insanely good for a 1000 bucks.

it is not a 4x12 recto cab its a 1960A marshall cab

Also yes i check craigslist every day ( not even exaggerating). I have heard of Jet city i was acutely craving one of htem as a better first tube amp, but this deal just seems too good to pass up. and also its for 1200$ i'm trying for 1000$ Also i am not set on mesa at all. I'm open to all.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
actually man...my mesa cab was a bitch to move. lol. The head is heavy too. I hate how heavy gear is. .
Quote by Roc8995
A dual rec has four power tubes so half power is easy, just pull the two inner tubes and switch the impedance selector to twice what the cab is.

145 is fine, you can do it. It weighs less than you do, and you only have to move it once.

I guess so i think i will just have to test it when i acutely have it.

Quote by AcousticMirror
actually man...my mesa cab was a bitch to move. lol. The head is heavy too. I hate how heavy gear is. .

excatly especially since it is a oversized cab but its a 1960A so its normal size but still. The head is like 50 pounds shouldnt be that big of a problem my combo right now is 48 pounds.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
you should get a tremoverb combo for instant win!

The marshall is even lighter and easier to carry then the os recto. I could haul a jcm lead cab a good 10-15 feet easy.
Quote by AcousticMirror

The marshall is even lighter and easier to carry then the os recto. I could haul a jcm lead cab a good 10-15 feet easy.

you got muscles? :P

haha well yes if this deal doesnt work out i will be getting something more suited to my needs transportion wise but i am a bit stuck to head/cab i think its more benefiting considering everything. well if the cab is a 2x12 becasue i can carry that pretty good with 2 hands.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
the 1960 cab is only 73 lbs. its a real light weight to move. Trust me im 126 lbs and can move that sucker easily. the head will be harder to move even if its 50 lbs lol
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
the 1960 cab is only 73 lbs. its a real light weight to move. Trust me im 126 lbs and can move that sucker easily. the head will be harder to move even if its 50 lbs lol

i love you right now.
That makes me feel a bit better that its 73 pounds.
Also the head is harder to move o_O elaborate?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by AcousticMirror

Dude. Tremoverb combos are so heavy it's not even funny. The only heavier amp I've seen was a BF Twin with EVM12Ls. That thing was like 140 easy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
its denser so its harder to get a grip on it and move it. The Cab weight is not distributed as awkwardly in the cab, plus the cab has two handles on the size. The handle on the amp head cuts into your hand and feels worse than it really is

my jsx was a bitch to move. 2x12 tube combos should have rocket boosters to move. 110lbs my ass
Oh, you people and your not wanting to lift things.
Just get a 2x12 with two Tonkerlites in it and call it a day. 250W handling, probably under 40 pounds.
I know. Recs are heavy as shit. Actually the ED was a bit harder to move then the KTRE. I wouldn't ever want to transport either.

The head is harder to move because it's 50 pounds and it's got a thin leather handle that will saw through your hand. And it's unbalanced. It's like 80 percent of the weigh on one end and 20 on the other.
i would probably have one hand underneath the amp supporting it and one hand on top for the head. Man this is why i love UG now i'm feeling better about the 4x12!!!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Even then its awkward. Density makes thing hard to carry. But its doable. Just think of it as curling lol.

I still fear for mylife if i ever have to lug a recto OS up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment
Quote by mexican_shred

I still fear for mylife if i ever have to lug a recto OS up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment

i want to sig this :P
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Page 1 of 2