If i were to build a pedal board, would i need a distortion pedal for leads, or can i get two overdrive pedals and just activate the other overdrive? I play shred and progressive so will it be enough gain to let the little nuances come out?
Well distortion and overdrive pedals both sound COMPLETELY different from each other...so what would be "better" would be completely based on what tone you're looking for. That being said, most distortion pedals don't compare with an overdriven tube amp. If you use an overdrive pedal as a boost to your amps overdrive channel, you can get about as much gain as you want. If you want to go from clean sound (on your clean channel) to a lead tone, you'll probably either want an amp with 2 channels or a distortion pedal.

Also, what amp are you using...and how many channels does it have?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I have the Line 6 Valve, it has 4 channels. I know that all the sounds are right there, but im looking into future gear cuz im a gear ***** haha. Hopefully, il be getting a marshal halfstack in the distant future. So are you saying get an overdrive to boost a distorted channel for lead?
Yeah that's what I would do. Basically...

If you want to go from a distorted tone > more distorted tone, get an overdrive pedal.

If you want to go from a clean tone > a distorted tone, get a distortion pedal.

If you want to go from a clean tone > bluesy tone, get an overdrive pedal.

That's pretty much it. Good luck finding your tone!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Thank you and if you dont mind, one more question. What would be a great amp that has good distortion but can handle pedals well?
whats you're budget/style of play?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
whats you're budget/style of play?

I play almost everything, like literally everything. Budget is around 1000 USD
okay, well are you more interested in high gain or cleans?

EDIT:Stupid you said distorted. Still doesn't tell me enough. Like hard rock distorted? br00tal metal distorted? Blues distortion?

What tone do you want out of an amp. With $1k you could look a lots of stuff, Orange, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Jet City, Egnator, Vox, etc.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
okay, well are you more interested in high gain or cleans?

EDIT:Stupid you said distorted. Still doesn't tell me enough. Like hard rock distorted? br00tal metal distorted? Blues distortion?

What tone do you want out of an amp. With $1k you could look a lots of stuff, Orange, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Jet City, Egnator, Vox, etc.

Like i can go from megadeth/metallica/dream theater distortion to paul gilbert, yngwie, and some classic rock distortion.
I would actually look at a JSX. Some people like them and some people don't, you just have to check it out.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.