Some of my songs involve post-hardcore influence and screaming, but usually there will only be 1 or 2 screams in a song (except for those occassions where I make a crazy chorus and just scream my head off for that part of a song). Usually I scream at the end of a bridge, breakdown, or whatever (I use different song structures, I don't really attach myself to hardcore breakdowns, hard rock guitar solos, extended bridges, or whatever, I mess around with everything).

My problem is that when I scream, it usually throws me off for the rest of the song, in a few different ways. It can make me tired (I put a lotta force behind my screams) which screws up my singing, my bass playing, even my stage presence. And sometimes, if I'm not paying attention to doing a perfect scream exactly the way everybody tells you to in order to not damage your vocal chords, I'll just totally ruin my throat for like 5 minutes. And just the shock of a scream can screw everything up for me, I know thats retarded since I am the one screaming, but it really screws up the song sometimes.

Can anybody help me out with this? Plz!
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 7, 2010,
Um...train your voice?

If you are creating so many problems from screaming, maybe you shouldn't do it until you're better at it.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Practice bringing down the volume and letting the microphone do some of the work.
Quote by Cowless
Practice bringing down the volume and letting the microphone do some of the work.

This, just scream moderately loud and you should be good no need for all the tension.
Are you tensing your abs while screaming? Doing that may help if you don't already do that.
Quote by Grimwade
Are you tensing your abs while screaming? Doing that may help if you don't already do that.

You actually want to do the opposite believe i've me been screaming for a couple of years along with singing and i actually find it more helpful just to relax everything and allow your diaphragm to expand and contract.
I wouldn't put more force than is necessary. Any time I do screaming, it's often Steven Tyler or Chris Cornell style screaming, so I don't know if it's the same mechanism, but most noises you can make with pretty minimal force. If it hurts, stop doing it. If you can't get through a song, there's no way you'll be able to get through a gig.