I have a Gibson Lp studio and I am looking to replace the pickups. While I like the general sound they produce, they maybe a little hot and a tad too harsh for my tastes.

I am like for a PAF type pickup like the Burstbuckers, but I hear Gibson's PU's are overpriced and there are better alternatives. I prefer vintage type output for more clarity and less mud. Any suggestions?
which burstbuckers are you talking about, the pro's or the customs? The burstbucker pro's sound like crap imo. The custom 2 and 3 are decent. But yeah, they are kinda overpriced. But I use the stock 490R/498T and it works pretty well for my style. Has a decent amount of output, without being one dimensional.

you might want to look at GFS pickups, they are a pretty cheap alternative, and they are decent. You can get pickups at like $25-40 a piece. guitarfetish.com

in my experience I'm not much of a fan of most Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios.

If you're looking to drop a lot of dough on a pickup though, checkout linday fralin for sure
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Just a PAF humbucker in general really. I just referenced the burstbucker bc they are supposed to replicate the old Gibson PAFs and they are included in the Gibson LP classics.
It will depend a lot on your budget. If you've got 250 to drop, a set of Wolfetones or Lollars are going to be the best thing ever. If you're looking at the sub-200 level, a set of SD Alnico II Pros is probably what you want, or perhaps the '59s. Anything less than that is going to be a step down from the Burstbuckers. A set of GFS or other budget set of pickups is not worth your time in this case.
BGpickups and zhangbuckers sell really affordable custom wound pickups.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Actually in this case, the brands such as Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio would be better. My brother works at a GC and would be able to get some at a discount
The Duncan Seth Lover set is great, especially for the $105 per pickup price.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The Duncan Seth Lover set is great, especially for the $105 per pickup price.

They look great, thanks alot!
Are they really that cheap? Get those. I thought the Lovers were more than that, maybe they dropped in price recently.
That's the price on ZZounds and AMS. Maybe they're more at GC/MF. I haven't checked.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
GC has price matching, so worst case they'll match it and he'll pay 210, best case they'll have the same price and he'll get his 15% employee discount on top of it and pay 180 for the set. Great deal either way.
The Antiquities from Seymour Duncan are a good choice if you want a scatter wound pup but like all scatter wound pups they each have their own unique tone.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!