Ok, whichever you want to call it (Double Picking/Alternate Picking), I am wanting to know what is the best way of improving this skill. SPECIFICALLY, I am having trouble playing riffs in which each note of the riff is strummed twice. Songs such as CKY's Dressed In Decay, for example. I see tons of video lessons on how alternate picking drastically increases your speed... DUH. I am more interested in working on doubling each note in a riff (the single note riff being ABCDEFG... the doubled being AABBCCDDEEFFGG), AND improving moving back and forth between strings while doing this. I have become pretty frustrated in working on this, and in finding any video lessons that relate to this. Should I just make up my own exercises? Does anyone know of any good ways to work on this? ALSO... any good ways on working on making my alternate picking more even and smooth sounding?
Well if you can't alternate pick, you shouldn't expect to double pick. There is only so much you can do with downstrokes in terms of speed, it's a rather clumsy motion.

Learn to alternate pick, do patterns of two, three or four notes per string. Do them all, mind you just not at once lol. When you have that down at the speed you would like, looking into string skipping and more interesting exercises.

It's no easy task, though. If you just started, expect to work a few months on it. =) Rock on buddy
Quote by Twitch Galvy
Well if you can't alternate pick, you shouldn't expect to double pick.

I thought double picking was synonymous for alternate picking...

I will definitely give that a shot, though. Maybe I just need more patience I am definitely looking for specific exercises, though. I think I may have found some good ones in the lesson section... haha. I just want to be spoon fed, I guess.
Alternate picking is picking up and down, double picking is when you take a piece (riff, melody, whatever) and pick all the notes twice. You can alternate pick and double pick at the same time. Anyway I'll assume what you meant was alternate picking. Any exercise will do you good as long as you make sure to watch your technique. The more different ones, the better.
Play some metalcore songs, I found out the hard way trying to go from the top sting as a drone note then down to another string wasn't gonna work if I kept downstroking. I was alternate picking in 2 weeks.
Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.

-Jimi Hendrix-
Sweet. Thanks guys.

I was actually talking about double picking while alternate picking. Glad to hear you get what I'm talking about =) I just wasn't exactly sure what it was called.
@deaddog

Thanks! That looks pretty interesting. I think I will probably try that out. I have found a few things about technique and picking and have started to practice them... like Justin Guitar (the finger gym...), but am frustrated about playing the exercises and getting a good tone quality while I play. Maybe I need to look up more about improving my tone and evenness?
Quote by eleshop
@deaddog

Thanks! That looks pretty interesting. I think I will probably try that out. I have found a few things about technique and picking and have started to practice them... like Justin Guitar (the finger gym...), but am frustrated about playing the exercises and getting a good tone quality while I play. Maybe I need to look up more about improving my tone and evenness?
Justin is the best, I'm still learning from him even now a year later. I would take a good look at his rhythm lessons, the CAGED system and his song suggestion videos where they are available. Polly is a great beginner song, GL and have fun on your journey
Double picking is a fantastic way on working on your control, and your synchronization between your hands. Take a simple desending mini-run like C-B-A on the 6th string. With each note picked once, there's a strong tendency to just roll your fingers. If you're synched up, this is more than fine for getting the notes out in the context of a riff, not so much if you're practicing this stuff to improve your control. Doing the double picking thing definately requires more control and timing.
Another interesting thing is that with double picking, every ascending string cross is going to be on the inside, and every descending cross will be on the outside. So this makes it a useful thing to practice if you've got some weaknesses on one of those.

As far as what to use to practice it and how? What - take any riff or lick you know that's in straight 8th's or 16th's and just double pick it. How - slow at first. Don't worry about the speed, just focus on playing relaxed, in control, and with good timing and sync between your hands. As you improve those things, the speed will come up by itself.
Quote by Deaddog
Justin is the best, I'm still learning from him even now a year later. I would take a good look at his rhythm lessons, the CAGED system and his song suggestion videos where they are available. Polly is a great beginner song, GL and have fun on your journey

Yeah, I just checked that out! I have been pretty curious about that. Cool stuff.
@se012101

Thanks a lot, man. I think thats what I will be working on along with just other picking exercises. I think that would be good to work them all in together. Now I'm getting frustrated with my tone, playing all these exercises so slow. I need to figure out how to work on my tone, or maybe that comes along with practicing these exercises?
By tone, do you mean you're getting buzzy or muted notes or are you saying the tone of the song sounds wrong because the rhythm is off?